layers

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:45:04 GMT
(e-mail address removed) scribed:
Oh dear! I haven't been to this newsgroup (nor any other newsgroup) in
at least 5-6 years. The same people are here...and being just as rude as
I remember them:) Don't answer the guy...just make fun of his teacher=/

Teachers are among the most egotistical people on earth.

Gee whiz.
Ummm...was it Reply? Or Reply All?

Probably "reply all". If not, wait 6 years and try the other.

Cheers.

Carla

John Hosking wrote:
I don't believe there's much connection between the kind of layers the
OP was asking about and Flash (although Flash has layers of its own).

I don't do Flash so I don't frequent such groups or know which are good
ones, but if you right-click your news account in TB and choose
"Subscribe...", then type "flash" in the "Show items that contain"
field, you will get some NGs carried by your provider. Subscribe to one
or more and lurk there.

alt.macromedia.flash, macromedia.flash, uk.comp.graphics.flash are three
that I see as likely groups.

Thanks. I found examples of what I'm looking for at
macromedia.flash.sitedesign . He probably did want info about FLASH
layers and objects, but ended up in the wrong newsgroup.

Take care=)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Carla said:
I don't know what it's called. Here's the site: http://www.gensler.com.
They just launched their new site & I'm curious how they made the
semi-transparent blocks that link. They appear to float atop the page.

It is all Flash.

Finally, a page appears with fast-shifting images, then ... well, it's a
Flash site. No further comments.
Found something similar here: http://www.cannondesign.com I think it's
a combination of FLASH and javascript. Anyone know, not how to do it,
but what it's called?

Same thing. I for one do not hang around trying to figure out how to
navigate these kinds of sites, and - unless there is absolutely nowhere
else to get the information I seek - immediately go elsewhere.

I am sure I am not alone.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

John said:
Nothing against Beauregard, but why does *he* get to decide eveything
all of a sudden?

Whoa!

'Twas all Carla's choice of words, 'cause I certainly don't want to
decide "everything"... :)

Jonathan N. Little

Carla said:
I just haven't used an email client in a very long time. I needed to
access newsgroups again, so I tried Thunderbird. It was difficult to
make it work.

Shouldn't be. It is like setting up an email account except the incoming
server is not a POP server but a NNTP server. The wizard steps you
through the process but your have to know what your NNTP server is, if
your ATT Yahoo includes server if not there are several others free and
subscription out there.

BTW is is the first reply button "Reply to message" you want when using
Thunderbird or other Mozilla products when replying to a newsgroup.
The reply all would email the individual as well as the group which you
should not do.
I should have tried Mozilla's online newsgroup first, but
instead talked to support at ATT Yahoo for a couple hours. Finally they
said they don't support Thunderbird.

If they have access to NNTP server it shouldn't matter what software you
are using. Most times that statement translate "We only give our tech
support a cheat-sheet that describes the setup MS software"
It was just fun seeing the same names here. And ironic, since the only
term I could think of to describe what I found (and need help with) on a
couple websites is "layer". Then the first post I saw here was about a
"layer." Struck me as funny. Especially the comment about a cake.

If the group's topic was automotive repair and someone in posting
conveys that they are student and their curriculum included carburetors,
coils and points and nothing about fuel injection computerized
ignitions, etc (and the course is *not* for antique vehicles) could you
imagine the response? It is amazing the rubbish that is being taught for
"web design" in colleges and universities. I think the response
reflects our dismay.
I don't know what it's called. Here's the site: http://www.gensler.com.

Got a protracted "loading..." message and bailed.
They just launched their new site & I'm curious how they made the
semi-transparent blocks that link. They appear to float atop the page.
Found something similar here: http://www.cannondesign.com I think it's a
combination of FLASH and javascript. Anyone know, not how to do it, but
what it's called?

A blank beige screen then a progress bar for each link....I ave a word
for it but it would offend Travis. It's called Flash.

Carla

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
A blank beige screen then a progress bar for each link....I ave a word
for it but it would offend Travis. It's called Flash.

My client loves those sites. I tried to tell him about non-standard
navigation & usability (sp?) issues. And about load time, but he
believes almost all his site visitors will be on broadband. He (and some
friends of mine) had no trouble with Cannon's navigation bar. I do. =/

I haven't built sites in quite a while. I get the impression that a lot
happened online while I was away. Before, I always made sure my sites
loaded fast & had excellent navigation. That no longer seems to matter.
What happened?

Carla

John Hosking

Beauregard said:
Whoa!

'Twas all Carla's choice of words, 'cause I certainly don't want to
decide "everything"... :)

No, no, too late. It's all settled. You are now responsible for
everything that goes on here.

Good luck! :)

Jonathan N. Little

Carla said:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

My client loves those sites. I tried to tell him about non-standard
navigation & usability (sp?) issues. And about load time, but he
believes almost all his site visitors will be on broadband. He (and some
friends of mine) had no trouble with Cannon's navigation bar. I do. =/

If it is not obvious how to use it then lose it...
I haven't built sites in quite a while. I get the impression that a lot
happened online while I was away. Before, I always made sure my sites
loaded fast & had excellent navigation. That no longer seems to matter.
What happened?

Good sites load quickly. You will never lose a customer because a page
loads too quickly, cannot say the same for the converse.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jonathan said:
.. It is amazing the rubbish that is being taught for "web design" in
colleges and universities.

I must agree.

Last year's catalog for adult education at my local community college
still listed the course:

Web Site Design and Coding
Prerequisite: Student must own Microsoft FrontPage

A few years ago, I spoke with the instructor of this course, politely
suggesting that the course be revamped to teach along the lines of the
online tutorial at htmldog.com, advocating the production of valid and
accessible web pages. I was tersely rebuked, possibly because I am a
retired guy with grey hair.

Carla

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Oh do you mean the old shooting-gallery navigation system?

I think so. Like the ones in carnivals? That's me trying to a) find the
link then b) actually get my mouse on it

I'm 49...maybe I'm getting too old to be using the internet=(

Carla

dorayme

John Hosking said:
Posting a URL is
standard practice here (more than lurking, I fear)

I don't think so. There are a *lot* of lurkers. London police has
reported finding dens of them in cellars. I caught three this
week peering into my window from the front veranda (as
punishment, I forced them to send three URls each)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
I don't think so. There are a *lot* of lurkers. London police has
reported finding dens of them in cellars. I caught three this week
peering into my window from the front veranda (as punishment, I
forced them to send three URls each)

We keep telling you not to use Veranda!!!

dorayme

Carla said:
I remember it being a tight knit group here, so I thought I better suck
up to the head honcho first=))

That is quite the opposite of the tactic I use when entering any
new group, I find out which is the big alpha male and I kick his
balls as hard as I can - whether he deserves it or not. It has
worked brilliantly and brought me the unpopularity, derision,
suspicion and hatred I crave. Being homeless, I don't want to
just talk to people, I want a dry place to stay. A whole world of
killfiles opens up and I have more choice than even the most
ideal visitor to this wet planet could dream of ...

Hi Carla!

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
We keep telling you not to use Veranda!!!

I bought it before I knew you, I have had the floor of it
modified though, to DeckoType Naskh. <g>

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
That is quite the opposite of the tactic I use when entering any
new group, I find out which is the big alpha male and I kick his
balls as hard as I can - whether he deserves it or not. It has
worked brilliantly and brought me the unpopularity, derision,
suspicion and hatred I crave. Being homeless, I don't want to
just talk to people, I want a dry place to stay. A whole world of
killfiles opens up and I have more choice than even the most
ideal visitor to this wet planet could dream of ...

Hmmm have you tried anger management classes?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
I bought it before I knew you, I have had the floor of it modified
though, to DeckoType Naskh. <g>

font-family: "DeckoType Naskh", Veranda, Helvetica, sans-serif;

Carla

dorayme said:
That is quite the opposite of the tactic I use when entering any
new group, I find out which is the big alpha male and I kick his
balls as hard as I can - whether he deserves it or not. It has
worked brilliantly and brought me the unpopularity, derision,
suspicion and hatred I crave. Being homeless, I don't want to
just talk to people, I want a dry place to stay. A whole world of
killfiles opens up and I have more choice than even the most
ideal visitor to this wet planet could dream of ...

Hi Carla!

OMG! You crack me up. That was great.

Hello, Dorayme =))