layout question about incorporating a blog into a fixed size site

Discussion in 'HTML' started by newsbirdie2@hotmail.com, Sep 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    My site defines a div that fits into a 1024x768 browser window. For
    most of my site, my content fits into this area just fine, with some
    divs having a scrollbar. This lets me put a photo on the right side
    for example with the text on the left. The box is outlined and there
    is the copyright on the bottom. See for yourself:
    http://tinyurl.com/zjzyv

    now I want to integrate my blog (wordpress) into my site. The problem
    is that the blog pages are much longer than will fit into my box. So
    I'd like to know what the best approach is to do this. I see a few

    1 - fit the blog into the content div and use scroll bars. this will
    be very ugly so I don't want to go this route.

    2 - do away with the bounding box and do it normally. the blog will be
    fine but it won't be seamlessly integrated into my site.

    3 - come up with a way to make the bounding box dimensions dynamic.
    this sounds like the best approach to me, but I do not think it's
    possible.

    So my question is, is it possible to do #3 and if so, how?

    Thanks
    , Sep 19, 2006

  2. Els Guest

    wrote:

    > My site defines a div that fits into a 1024x768 browser window.

    Only if I don't use more than one extra toolbar.

    What's wrong with http://mattoxphoto.free.fr/news.php ?

    > now I want to integrate my blog (wordpress) into my site. The problem
    > is that the blog pages are much longer than will fit into my box. So
    > I'd like to know what the best approach is to do this. I see a few

    [snip]

    > 3 - come up with a way to make the bounding box dimensions dynamic.
    > this sounds like the best approach to me, but I do not think it's
    > possible.
    >
    > So my question is, is it possible to do #3 and if so, how?

    Yes it's possible.
    How: get rid of every "position:absolute" and "height:....".
    Then see what the page looks like, and adjust to taste. You may have
    to learn some CSS though, specifically about 'float' and 'clear'.

    Or hire someone who will do it for you :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Now playing: Dr Alban - Sing hallelujah
    Els, Sep 19, 2006

  3. richard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > My site defines a div that fits into a 1024x768 browser window. For
    > most of my site, my content fits into this area just fine, with some
    > divs having a scrollbar. This lets me put a photo on the right side
    > for example with the text on the left. The box is outlined and there
    > is the copyright on the bottom. See for yourself:
    > http://tinyurl.com/zjzyv
    >
    > now I want to integrate my blog (wordpress) into my site. The problem
    > is that the blog pages are much longer than will fit into my box. So
    > I'd like to know what the best approach is to do this. I see a few
    >
    > 1 - fit the blog into the content div and use scroll bars. this will
    > be very ugly so I don't want to go this route.
    >
    > 2 - do away with the bounding box and do it normally. the blog will be
    > fine but it won't be seamlessly integrated into my site.
    >
    > 3 - come up with a way to make the bounding box dimensions dynamic.
    > this sounds like the best approach to me, but I do not think it's
    > possible.
    >
    > So my question is, is it possible to do #3 and if so, how?
    >
    > Thanks

    Yuck.
    Anything I can't stand is a split format like that.
    My browser has an 800x resolution so now I'm forced to deal with dual scroll
    bars.
    I don't care for the mug shot at all. Specially one that size. You could
    downsize it and put it up in one of the corners. Leaving more space to work
    with.

    One thing I've learned to do is quite simple. Define a container division
    for your entire page.
    #container{ width:1000px; height:1000px;}.
    or even #container{height:1000px;} and let the browser determine the width.
    Now you have ample space to work with and only one scroll bar.

    Positioning items is only needed for certain items. Not every blasted item.
    Then, only if you want to display an item in a fixed location every time.
    But then, will it look the way intended with every browser resolution?
    I avoid using positioning for that reason.

    Take the time to fully understand CSS from the zillions of sources on the
    internet.
    richard, Sep 19, 2006
  4. Re: layout question about incorporating a blog into a fixed sizesite

    richard wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> My site defines a div that fits into a 1024x768 browser window. For
    >> most of my site, my content fits into this area just fine, with some
    >> divs having a scrollbar. This lets me put a photo on the right side
    >> for example with the text on the left. The box is outlined and there
    >> is the copyright on the bottom. See for yourself:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/zjzyv
    >>
    >> now I want to integrate my blog (wordpress) into my site. The problem
    >> is that the blog pages are much longer than will fit into my box. So
    >> I'd like to know what the best approach is to do this. I see a few
    >>
    >> 1 - fit the blog into the content div and use scroll bars. this will
    >> be very ugly so I don't want to go this route.
    >>
    >> 2 - do away with the bounding box and do it normally. the blog will be
    >> fine but it won't be seamlessly integrated into my site.
    >>
    >> 3 - come up with a way to make the bounding box dimensions dynamic.
    >> this sounds like the best approach to me, but I do not think it's
    >> possible.
    >>
    >> So my question is, is it possible to do #3 and if so, how?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Yuck.
    > Anything I can't stand is a split format like that.
    > My browser has an 800x resolution so now I'm forced to deal with dual
    > scroll bars.
    > I don't care for the mug shot at all. Specially one that size. You could
    > downsize it and put it up in one of the corners. Leaving more space to
    > work with.
    >
    > One thing I've learned to do is quite simple. Define a container
    > division for your entire page.
    > #container{ width:1000px; height:1000px;}.
    > or even #container{height:1000px;} and let the browser determine the width.
    > Now you have ample space to work with and only one scroll bar.

    Better yet, don't to either and allow your content adjust the the
    visitors browser window! Don't restrict the overall height. With print
    we "scroll" horizontally, i.e. turn the page; but on the Internet we
    scroll vertically. It is the nature of the media. We even define our
    hardware to accommodate the precedent, most mice now have scroll wheels.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 19, 2006
  5. Re: layout question about incorporating a blog into a fixed sizesite

    wrote:
    > My site defines a div that fits into a 1024x768 browser window. For
    > most of my site, my content fits into this area just fine, with some
    > divs having a scrollbar. This lets me put a photo on the right side
    > for example with the text on the left. The box is outlined and there
    > is the copyright on the bottom. See for yourself:
    > http://tinyurl.com/zjzyv
    >
    > now I want to integrate my blog (wordpress) into my site. The problem
    > is that the blog pages are much longer than will fit into my box. So
    > I'd like to know what the best approach is to do this. I see a few
    >
    > 1 - fit the blog into the content div and use scroll bars. this will
    > be very ugly so I don't want to go this route.

    You've already gone this route because it isn't occurring to you that
    just because you run your browser, always maximized and with no sidebars
    displayed, on a 1024 x 768 screen doesn't mean that everybody uses 1024
    x 768 resolution or that your users always want to have their browsers
    maximized with no sidebars displayed.
    Harlan Messinger, Sep 19, 2006