Layout standards

Joe M

Hi

I'm trying to find some established usability standards for web
applications, similar to those for Windows Forms, e.g. how controls
should be laid out, etc, to create a consistent and intuitive user
experience. Does anyone have any links to such?

My specific layout/usability question is to do with using a grid to
enter a new row. The ASP application I am porting to ASP.NET currently
has a few textboxes and a 'New' button above a grid. We can either
keep this or have the 'New' button create a new row in the datagrid in
edit mode. Any thoughts on which direction a standard is heading in,
if any? The later looks slicker, but there is the problem that on
postback, the new row might be off the bottom of the page, unless one
adds the crafty JavaScript I saw somewhere than sets or maintains the
scroll position of a page between posts.

Thanks
Joe