LCD anti-aliasing in Java

Discussion in 'Java' started by Tim Tyler, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. Tim Tyler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    I have written a program to perform LCD anti-aliasing on
    24-bit RGB images.

    Introduction to LCD anti-aliasing
    =================================

    LCD anti-aliasing attains improved image quality on LCD
    devices by directly addressing the red green and blue pixels
    on the device to achieve increased resolution.

    Colour balance is maintained by distributing colour energy
    to surrounding pixels - taking advantage of the fact that
    the human visual system has better monochrome resolution
    than colour resolution.

    The effect produces the best results when used with high
    contrast images. It has no effect on images which consist
    entirely of shades of one of the primary colours.

    In practice the majority images have a fair degree of
    contrast - due to common effects such as shadows and
    highlights.

    Applications
    ============

    The number of devices with small LCD screens is rocketing
    upwards - now that mobile phones are routinely including
    cameras.

    I expect this application to be used by those making
    wallpaper, photographs or animated images for these
    kinds of devices - in the cases where image quality
    is regarded as important.

    Requirements
    ============

    It needs Java 1.4 - or greater - to run.

    License
    =======

    This program and its source code are in the public domain.

    Download
    ========

    More information, example images - and free download:

    --> http://mandala.co.uk/lcdaa/ <--

    Enjoy,
    --
    __________

    Tim Tyler, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Tim Tyler

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 12:39:29 GMT, Tim Tyler <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >LCD anti-aliasing attains improved image quality on LCD
    >devices by directly addressing the red green and blue pixels
    >on the device to achieve increased resolution.

    Do you use the same techniques as Steve Gibson?

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Tim Tyler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    In comp.lang.java.programmer Roedy Green <> wrote:
    : Tim Tyler <> wrote or quoted :

    :>LCD anti-aliasing attains improved image quality on LCD
    :>devices by directly addressing the red green and blue pixels
    :>on the device to achieve increased resolution.

    : Do you use the same techniques as Steve Gibson?

    I believe so.

    He discusses using coefficients of [1/9, 2/9, 3/9, 2/9, 1/9] to smear
    the colour information out further, and produce more of a central peak.

    I'm using the simpler [1/3, 1/3, 1/3] coefficients - but they seem to
    work well enough.
    --

    Tim Tyler, Sep 5, 2003