LDAP Connection pooling exceed expected max number of sockets

Colin Ryan

We are using the standatd JVM connection pooling mechanism using the
following params:

-Dcom.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.initsize=10
-Dcom.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.prefsize=10
-Dcom.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.maxsize=10
-Dcom.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.timeout=360000

We have noticed over a period of time that although the LDAP debug
mechanis, indicates that the JVM itself thinks it never exceeds the
pool size limit of 10, at the IP layer if we use the netstat command
more than 10 connections can occur between the client machine and our
LDAP server (IBM Secureway).

This is an issue for us as we have a scaled environment where several
services and application use a central LDAP server and such behaviour
could potentially overload it with connections. We have recently had
scenarios where the LDAP server becomes unresponsive (it freezes) and
all client requests block for a period of time.

Can anyone explain this behaviour?