LDAP with ASP.NET 2.0

jfer

I recently ported an ASP.NET 1.1 web application to ASP.NET 2.0 Beta 2.
This is a VERY basic application that utilized the DirectoryServices
namespace. However I cannot get it to work in asp.net 2.0. When I
launch the web application I receive the following error:

"Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The
parameter is incorrect."

Anyone know if there is an issue with ASP.NET 2.0 and
DirectoryServices/LDAP?

Thanks

jfer

I forgot to mention that it was connecting to an LDAP server (SunONE)
not an Active Directory via syntax like "LDAP:\\"

Thanks

jfer

I just wanted to add I was able to get it working using Novell's C#
LDAP library.

However I am still interested if anyone has sucessfully got the
System.DirectoryServices library working in ASP.NET 2.0.

Thanks

Guest

I've been working on a similar with asp.net 2.0. I'm trying to build an
iPlanet/Sun One provider for authentication. Would you be willing to share
your solution that uses the Novell C#?

Thanks.

Guest

You're seeing the same thing many others of us dealing with 3rd party LDAP
hosts are. Evenyone is focusing on LDAP as it pertains to AD.

In the mean time most of our methods developed and proven under 1.1
framework are totally broken under 2.0.

I've got some fractured code working on my 3rd party LDAP host but still am
trying to fix problems with it.

This looks like a huge hole left in VS2005 most likely on purpose. As
beautiful as the data connector is on SQL stuff to leave the LDAP world
hanging like this says very little good. Very much "back of the bus" approch
to a core part of the majority of enterprises.

Will be happy to share when I get something worked out but I'm NOT a
application coder, I'm a web dev so it is a slow process.

Brian.ONeil

I have a similar problem. 1.1 -> 2.0. Now the code is broke and I look
like a fool to my customer(boss). Any help appreciated. Should I just
reference the prior version of System.DirectoryServices?

TIA,

Out -

briano

Found something more on this; using LDP.EXE I can perform a "Simple
Bind" but not a "Bind With Credentials". I guess this confirms the
proper LDAP path is being used, but not much more.

brian.f.oneil

Solved!
Credit goes to a coworker who told me about "AuthenticationTypes.None".

HTH
-Brian