Learn by repetition - ruby exercises and answers?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Shawn W_, Jan 26, 2007.

  1. Shawn W_

    Shawn W_ Guest

    I prefer to learn by repetition and I was wondering if there are any
    Ruby exercise and answer orientated sites with lots of exercises,
    starting with simple and progressing to harder.

    This is what I've found so far:

    http://blogs.pragprog.com/cgi-bin/pragdave.cgi/Practices/Kata (This site
    sums up exactly my thinking on learning, but looking at the problems
    that don't start easy. Something for later, after I learn to program
    with any skill, because at the moment I can only call myself a dabbler
    who's trying to improve).

    http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=view (maths orientated with a
    programming problems section, the first one looked doable for me, but
    not a Ruby exclusive site).

    http://rubyquiz.com/ (Most too hard for me - I need super simple to
    start).

    Books I am aware of are:
    Ruby Cookbook (too advanced mostly)
    Best of Ruby Quiz (book form of http://rubyquiz.com/ listed above)

    There are plenty of tutorial books running the beginner through Ruby,
    some even have exercises, but usually only a couple at the end of each
    chapter, if any. I'm after a source of hundreds of problems so I can
    learn by repeatedly doing.

    If you know of any sites or books close to what I'm after, and minus
    what I've already listed, please post them.

    Shawn W_, Jan 26, 2007

  2. Shawn W_

    Guest

    On Sat, 27 Jan 2007, Shawn W_ wrote:

    > I prefer to learn by repetition and I was wondering if there are any
    > Ruby exercise and answer orientated sites with lots of exercises,
    > starting with simple and progressing to harder.
    >
    > This is what I've found so far:
    >
    > http://blogs.pragprog.com/cgi-bin/pragdave.cgi/Practices/Kata (This site
    > sums up exactly my thinking on learning, but looking at the problems
    > that don't start easy. Something for later, after I learn to program
    > with any skill, because at the moment I can only call myself a dabbler
    > who's trying to improve).
    >
    > http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=view (maths orientated with a
    > programming problems section, the first one looked doable for me, but
    > not a Ruby exclusive site).
    >
    > http://rubyquiz.com/ (Most too hard for me - I need super simple to
    > start).
    >
    > Books I am aware of are:
    > Ruby Cookbook (too advanced mostly)
    > Best of Ruby Quiz (book form of http://rubyquiz.com/ listed above)
    >
    > There are plenty of tutorial books running the beginner through Ruby,
    > some even have exercises, but usually only a couple at the end of each
    > chapter, if any. I'm after a source of hundreds of problems so I can
    > learn by repeatedly doing.
    >
    > If you know of any sites or books close to what I'm after, and minus
    > what I've already listed, please post them.

    my reccomendation is this: read ruby-talk as you already are and begin to
    answer simple questions. it's ok if your answers are not the best ones: just
    be clear in your responses that you are learning and your answers should be
    taken with a grain of salt. you will be suprised at how effective this is.
    this is precisely how i've learned ruby and, to this day, i am digging into
    tht ruby source in order to answer questions i've never considered or even
    care that much about. i do this because

    1) it helps me. i continue to learn about ruby even though i've been
    doing this and coding ruby full time for 6 years.

    2) it helps the community. this makes me feel good since it certainly
    helped me in the beginning.

    http://groups.google.com/groups/sea...hor:&safe=off&qt_s=Search

    cheers.

    -a
    --
    we can deny everything, except that we have the possibility of being better.
    simply reflect on that.

  3. Shawn W_

    Peter Szinek Guest

    Peter Szinek, Jan 26, 2007