    relocating to RAM, how to manipulate all these i C and/or assembly to
    get the code to do what you want.

    Thanks!!

    termiflyer, Oct 7, 2005

  2. termiflyer

    Dale Guest

    "termiflyer" <> wrote in news:1128697810.153693.143770
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > Does anyone have any recommendations (books, links to class web pages,
    > etc) for straight-forward learning about everything in between C
    > programming and assembler? I know C fairly well, and I know assembler
    > fairly well (as far as using the instruction set to get things done).
    > What I'm short on is the in between parts: position independent code,
    > relocation, different sections (SDA, BSS, etc), placing them in flash,
    > relocating to RAM, how to manipulate all these i C and/or assembly to
    > get the code to do what you want.

    The back end of the compiler and the linker do all that, so maybe somebody
    in a compiler group will give a ****.

    Dale, Oct 7, 2005

  3. termiflyer

    Thad Smith Guest

    termiflyer wrote:

    > Does anyone have any recommendations (books, links to class web pages,
    > etc) for straight-forward learning about everything in between C
    > programming and assembler? I know C fairly well, and I know assembler
    > fairly well (as far as using the instruction set to get things done).
    > What I'm short on is the in between parts: position independent code,
    > relocation, different sections (SDA, BSS, etc), placing them in flash,
    > relocating to RAM, how to manipulate all these i C and/or assembly to
    > get the code to do what you want.

    This is off-topic in comp.lang.c. If you are considering placing code
    in flash, you might want to visit comp.arch.embedded.

    As far as segments and relocation, I suggest reading the documentation
    for the linker that you are interested in.

    Thad

    Thad Smith, Oct 8, 2005
  4. termiflyer

    Mabden Guest

    "Thad Smith" <> wrote in message
    > termiflyer wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone have any recommendations (books, links to class web

    pages,
    > > etc) for straight-forward learning about everything in between C
    > > programming and assembler? I know C fairly well, and I know

    assembler
    > > fairly well (as far as using the instruction set to get things

    done).
    > > What I'm short on is the in between parts: position independent

    code,
    > > relocation, different sections (SDA, BSS, etc), placing them in

    flash,
    > > relocating to RAM, how to manipulate all these i C and/or assembly

    > > get the code to do what you want.

    > This is off-topic in comp.lang.c. If you are considering placing code
    > in flash, you might want to visit comp.arch.embedded.
    >
    > As far as segments and relocation, I suggest reading the documentation
    > for the linker that you are interested in.

    Also, find a newsgroup for the hardware you are interested in.

    --
    Mabden

    Mabden, Oct 9, 2005
  5. termiflyer

    S.Tobias Guest

    Re: [OT] Learn: linking, small data area, bss, relocation ...

    In comp.lang.c termiflyer <> wrote:
    > Does anyone have any recommendations (books, links to class web pages,
    > etc) for straight-forward learning about everything in between C
    > programming and assembler? I know C fairly well, and I know assembler
    > fairly well (as far as using the instruction set to get things done).
    > What I'm short on is the in between parts: position independent code,
    > relocation, different sections (SDA, BSS, etc), placing them in flash,
    > relocating to RAM, how to manipulate all these i C and/or assembly to
    > get the code to do what you want.

    I'm not an expert in the field and I can't give you much advice,
    but I think this might be a good overview:
    http://www.iecc.com/linker/

    You might also find some papers by Ulrich Drepper interesting.

    comp.programming is probably a good place to ask this kind
    of questions, too. It's definitely OT in c.l.c.

    --
    Stan Tobias
    mailx `echo LID | sed s/[[:upper:]]//g`

    S.Tobias, Oct 10, 2005