Learn the C++

leo.hal

Hello,

Do you known a good site to learn the C++ ?
I've understood the bases of the programming, I've done some Java and
VB6.

Thank you

(I'm sorry for my bad English, but I'm French and I am learning English)

Marcus Kwok

Do you known a good site to learn the C++ ?
I've understood the bases of the programming, I've done some Java and
VB6.

There is the "Correct C++ Tutorial" by Alf P. Steinbach:
http://home.no.net/dubjai/win32cpptut/html/

A good thing to read (and refer to often!) is the C++ FAQ Lite:
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-learn-cpp.html
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

For book recommendations, see the "Book Reviews" section of
http://accu.org/ (the Association of C and C++ Users)
(the book reviews were temporarily unavailable when I checked though)

Since you said you already have some previous programming experience, a
highly-recommended book is "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and Moo:
http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/

Bogdan Ribic

Hello,

Do you known a good site to learn the C++ ?

There is a free online book, "Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckels, with
good introduction to C++ standard (ie, no MFC).

gw7rib

Hello,

Do you known a good site to learn the C++ ?
I've understood the bases of the programming, I've done some Java and
VB6.

Thank you

(I'm sorry for my bad English, but I'm French and I am learning English)

If you are having difficulties with English, you may do better to find
a site that is in French.

leo.hal

If you are having difficulties with English, you may do better to find
a site that is in French.

I've tried to find a good french site but I don't have found. In
french, there is nothing to begin the C++.

John Carson

I've tried to find a good french site but I don't have found. In
french, there is nothing to begin the C++.

I was going to point out that the french equivalent of this newsgroup is

fr.comp.lang.c++

but I see you are already posting there. Given the language difficulties, I
doubt that you will find this newsgroup better.

Default User

I've tried to find a good french site but I don't have found. In
french, there is nothing to begin the C++.

Well, there is fr.comp.lang.c++. However, looking at it in google it
seems to be a relatively low-traffic group, on the order of 3-5 posts
per day. I'd say stick here. We're pretty accomodating of people who
struggle with English, and in fact yours really isn't that bad.

Brian

John said:
I was going to point out that the french equivalent of this newsgroup
is

fr.comp.lang.c++

but I see you are already posting there. Given the language
difficulties, I doubt that you will find this newsgroup better.

Considering the negligible traffic there, I doubt he would find it
better.

Brian

John Carson

Default User said:
Considering the negligible traffic there, I doubt he would find it
better.

Not being a French speaker, I can't speak with confidence, but I think you
are using an overly demanding standard of an active newsgroup. comp.lang.c++
is exceptionally active. There are several newsgroups that I read (Windows
newsgroups), which have much less traffic, but where nevertheless most
questions get answered satisfactorily.

John said:
Not being a French speaker, I can't speak with confidence, but I
think you are using an overly demanding standard of an active
newsgroup. comp.lang.c++ is exceptionally active. There are several
newsgroups that I read (Windows newsgroups), which have much less
traffic, but where nevertheless most questions get answered
satisfactorily.

Have you actually looked at the traffic in fclc++? I'm talking a
handful of posts per day, less than ten most days, often less than five.

As the OP was familiar with it, I'd say the it doesn't meet his needs.
Why are we arguing? He has as much right as anyone here. If language
difficulties cut down on his replies then that's one of the hazards.

Brian

John Carson

Have you actually looked at the traffic in fclc++? I'm talking a
handful of posts per day, less than ten most days, often less than
five.

Yes I know. Plenty of Windows newsgroups have that many or less (primarily
because there are so many Windows newsgroups).
As the OP was familiar with it, I'd say the it doesn't meet his needs.
Why are we arguing? He has as much right as anyone here. If language
difficulties cut down on his replies then that's one of the hazards.

I agree that it is entirely up to the OP. It is merely my 2 cents worth that
precision of expression can be important in resolving programming questions
and that language difficulties may hamper that. But the OP has every right
to post here if desired.