Learning about wrappers, DLL etc.

Discussion in 'C++' started by pauldepstein@att.net, Jan 15, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi All,

    First, perhaps some would be kind enough to help me, once I state my
    approximate background
    I have written a moderately complex c++ program consisting of 11 files,
    all Bloodshed Dev.

    I have also read and understood c++ Primer, and feel I know even the
    most advanced topics in that book reasonably well. I also know matlab
    fairly well.

    I now work in finance.

    Many of the issues our company deals with involve wrappers, and calling
    c++ functions from matlab and vice versa.

    However, the c++ books I have are all on pure c++ and don't prepare me
    to deal with these problems.

    Do you have any good reading recommendations? I know how to code in
    pure c++ fairly well, but I don't know enough about the issues being
    discussed to even understand what's going on.

    Concepts that have come up include DLL, bcp, wrappers, calling matlab
    functions in c++, calling c++ functions in matlab, Links between SQL
    and matlab, OLE DB etc, creating OLE DB classes for fastload, calling
    OLE DB function to copy data etc., .bcp extensions.

    Some of these terms I don't even really understand (for example dll,
    bcp, OLE DB, fastload...)

    Of course, I could simply google each term but I'm really hoping
    there's a better way of learning this material to get an overall
    understanding of these issues.

    Any suggestions regarding websites or books?

    Thank you very much,

    Paul Epstein
    , Jan 15, 2007

    wrote:

    > Concepts that have come up include DLL, bcp, wrappers, calling matlab
    > functions in c++, calling c++ functions in matlab, Links between SQL
    > and matlab, OLE DB etc, creating OLE DB classes for fastload, calling
    > OLE DB function to copy data etc., .bcp extensions.

    When I said "links between SQL and matlab", that was a typo. I meant
    "links between SQL and c++".

    Basically the topic probably comes under c++ wrappers, DLL, OLE DB,
    terms I barely understand.

    I hope there's enough c++ content in my posting to prevent it being OT.

    Paul Epstein
    , Jan 15, 2007