learning asp.net - proper method of development and then deploy

TM

I am trying to learn ASP.net as part of my learning of .net in general, and
was wondering how applications are developed and then deployed most of the
time ?

Do people do development on a development server, then deploy to the live
server, or do most people develop on their pc locally and then deploy to a
development server ?

Thanks

Guest

It depends on if the IT shop in question has a dedicated development server.
If you have more than one developer working on the same project, then
practically must have a central server so the project files can be shared
between them. When you develop on your local PC, you are still using a
server (personal version of IIS). An ASP.NET applicaton will not run outside
the context of IIS.

TM

Very interesting. Thank you
--
Tony

It depends on if the IT shop in question has a dedicated development server.
If you have more than one developer working on the same project, then
practically must have a central server so the project files can be shared
between them. When you develop on your local PC, you are still using a
server (personal version of IIS). An ASP.NET applicaton will not run outside
the context of IIS.

Hans Kesting

It depends on if the IT shop in question has a dedicated development server.
If you have more than one developer working on the same project, then
practically must have a central server so the project files can be shared
between them. When you develop on your local PC, you are still using a
server (personal version of IIS). An ASP.NET applicaton will not run outside
the context of IIS.

.... and that central server can also be sourcesafe.
We develop on our local systems, using projects stored in sourcesafe. While
under development, there is no "live site" where the latest version can be
seen.
For this we need to deploy (a stable version) to some dedicated server.

Hans Kesting

TM

Very interesting. I really appreciate the help.

I did not install IIS on my PC when I installed Visual Studio .Net because I
didn't think I needed it. But now I think it may be a good idea.

Do I need to do anything special since I am installing IIS after .net ?