learning ASP on XP Home Edition

Robert Jones

My daughter wants to learn ASP but her PC runs XP Home Edition which doesn't
allow IIS. Is there any way she can still learn ASP?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Gérard Leclercq said:
I own a laptop, original XP Home. Upgrade to XP Pro without succes to
install IIS. After windowsupdate, work arounds, etc.. hangs up.

Some articles
I upgraded from xp home to pro because i am taking an ASP course and
needed the iis server for labs and homework. Inetpub/www.root was
created but it wont run an ASP page - yes I am using
http://localhost/myfile.asp.
Just got a new laptop with XP home installed. Upgraded it to XP PRO
(SP2) and installed IIS5.1.
IIS Admin shows the default site running but browsing the site does
not work.
On the IE status bar the message starts Web Site Found...but then
after a long period of watching that wonderful status bar counting
up...it times out.

And so on. Better install a full XP Pro.

That's a piece of advice that applies specifically to your situation. I, and
many others, have not found it necessary to do a full install, and have not
run into the problems that you experienced. This discussion should be taken
to a Windows XP newsgroup if you wish to continue it.

Bob Barrows

Gérard Leclercq

Monsieur Bob,
Lets say 50% have troubles after upgrade, 50% not running ASP pages on IIS.
So Mr Jones can take his own descision. or can check Google for work arounds
on XP HE. If he have a open line to the internet, he can even edit his
script on the server and test them at once.

Gérard.

Evertjan.

Robert Jones wrote on 14 dec 2004 in
My daughter wants to learn ASP but her PC runs XP Home Edition which
doesn't allow IIS. Is there any way she can still learn ASP?

Give here part of a ASP-able website to play with.

The aditional benefit above localhost IIS is,
that others will comment on her product.

Jeff Cochran

My daughter wants to learn ASP but her PC runs XP Home Edition which doesn't
allow IIS. Is there any way she can still learn ASP?

She can use a number of ASP coding tools that have their own web
server capabilities, or she can host a site elsewhere and write the
code on her system. She doesn't have to have IIS locally to learn ASP
(or ASP.NET for that matter).

Jeff