    Robert Jones Guest

    My daughter wants to learn ASP but her PC runs XP Home Edition which doesn't
    allow IIS. Is there any way she can still learn ASP?
    Robert Jones, Dec 14, 2004

  2. You can install XP Pro. Do not update but install from scratch.
    Gérard Leclercq, Dec 14, 2004

  3. Gérard Leclercq wrote:
    > You can install XP Pro. Do not update but install from scratch.

    Why? My OS is running fine after an upgrade.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Dec 14, 2004
  4. Gérard Leclercq wrote:
    > I own a laptop, original XP Home. Upgrade to XP Pro without succes to
    > install IIS. After windowsupdate, work arounds, etc.. hangs up.
    >
    > Some articles
    > I upgraded from xp home to pro because i am taking an ASP course and
    > needed the iis server for labs and homework. Inetpub/www.root was
    > created but it wont run an ASP page - yes I am using
    > http://localhost/myfile.asp.
    > Just got a new laptop with XP home installed. Upgraded it to XP PRO
    > (SP2) and installed IIS5.1.
    > IIS Admin shows the default site running but browsing the site does
    > not work.
    > On the IE status bar the message starts Web Site Found...but then
    > after a long period of watching that wonderful status bar counting
    > up...it times out.
    >
    > And so on. Better install a full XP Pro.

    That's a piece of advice that applies specifically to your situation. I, and
    many others, have not found it necessary to do a full install, and have not
    run into the problems that you experienced. This discussion should be taken
    to a Windows XP newsgroup if you wish to continue it.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Dec 14, 2004
  5. Monsieur Bob,
    Lets say 50% have troubles after upgrade, 50% not running ASP pages on IIS.
    So Mr Jones can take his own descision. or can check Google for work arounds
    on XP HE. If he have a open line to the internet, he can even edit his
    script on the server and test them at once.

    Gérard.
    Gérard Leclercq, Dec 14, 2004
  6. Robert Jones

    Evertjan. Guest

    Robert Jones wrote on 14 dec 2004 in
    > My daughter wants to learn ASP but her PC runs XP Home Edition which
    > doesn't allow IIS. Is there any way she can still learn ASP?

    Give here part of a ASP-able website to play with.

    The aditional benefit above localhost IIS is,
    that others will comment on her product.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Dec 14, 2004
  7. Robert Jones

    Morris Guest

    Robert Jones wrote:
    > My daughter wants to learn ASP but her PC runs XP Home Edition which doesn't
    > allow IIS. Is there any way she can still learn ASP?

    http://www.brinkster.com/Hosting/Educational.aspx

    It's where I started before upgrading (yes, upgrading) to XP Pro.

    Morris
    Morris, Dec 14, 2004
  8. Robert Jones

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:02:52 -0000, "Robert Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >My daughter wants to learn ASP but her PC runs XP Home Edition which doesn't
    >allow IIS. Is there any way she can still learn ASP?

    She can use a number of ASP coding tools that have their own web
    server capabilities, or she can host a site elsewhere and write the
    code on her system. She doesn't have to have IIS locally to learn ASP
    (or ASP.NET for that matter).

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Dec 15, 2004