    to understand the questions in the NG! :)

    Cheers!
    Rich

    Rich Grise, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Rich Grise

    David Hilsee Guest

    "Rich Grise" <> wrote in message
    news:yJOZc.1919$UR2.972@trnddc08...
    > Well, since deciding I wanted to pursue this, it's only taken
    > me three weeks or so to finally click my way to
    > http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html .
    >
    > I'm getting the impression that the snippets from this book,
    > and various on-line tutorials, of which so far 2/3 have been
    > teaching C with C++ grammar, is the best I can do for free. :)
    >
    > I did find a good tutorial, though, that actually is about
    > OOP in general, getting to C++ for his examples in about chap.
    > 6 or so:
    > http://www.zib.de/Visual/people/mueller/Course/Tutorial/tutorial.html
    >
    > It's very enlightening - in a couple of weeks, I'll probably be able
    > to understand the questions in the NG! :)

    Thinking in C++ (http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html)
    is another good free resource.

    --
    David Hilsee

    David Hilsee, Sep 3, 2004

  3. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    David Hilsee wrote:

    > "Rich Grise" <> wrote in message

    >> It's very enlightening - in a couple of weeks, I'll probably be able
    >> to understand the questions in the NG! :)

    > Thinking in C++ (http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html)
    > is another good free resource.

    Thank you very much. :)

    Cheers!
    Rich

    Rich Grise, Sep 3, 2004
  4. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    David Hilsee wrote:

    > "Rich Grise" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, since deciding I wanted to pursue this, it's only taken
    >> me three weeks or so to finally click my way to
    >> http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html .
    >>
    >> I'm getting the impression that the snippets from this book,
    >> and various on-line tutorials, of which so far 2/3 have been
    >> teaching C with C++ grammar, is the best I can do for free. :)
    >>
    >> I did find a good tutorial, though, that actually is about
    >> OOP in general, getting to C++ for his examples in about chap.
    >> 6 or so:
    >> http://www.zib.de/Visual/people/mueller/Course/Tutorial/tutorial.html
    >>
    >> It's very enlightening - in a couple of weeks, I'll probably be able
    >> to understand the questions in the NG! :)

    > Thinking in C++ (http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html)
    > is another good free resource.

    I've also been lurking, and following the thread about a 2D matrix with
    some interest. It seems to me that it's not a built-in concept - they do
    mention arrays, but so far it isn't clear if an ordinary array is a valid
    C++ construct, just for old times' sake or something, but a 2D array seems
    to be out of the question.

    Well, the 2D array I have in mind isn't the kind of thing that you could
    handle with any elegance as a vector, list, or map, that I can see, unless
    you would create a new class Array2D or something, which wouldn't be hard at
    all. The matrix I have in mind, of course, is something like you'd see on
    minesweeper or "the game of life." Static, and each element has a state.

    Maybe that's one of those times when an entirely nother language might
    be more appropriate, like APL or something. ;-)

    Then again, one of the tutorials is talking about point(), line(),
    rectangle(), circle(), and such - maybe they'll get to "plane" and define
    an XY array. I guess I'll find out! ;-)

    Cheers!
    Rich

    Rich Grise, Sep 3, 2004
  5. Rich Grise

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Rich Grise" <> wrote in message
    > David Hilsee wrote:
    >
    > > "Rich Grise" <> wrote in message
    > >> Well, since deciding I wanted to pursue this, it's only taken
    > >> me three weeks or so to finally click my way to
    > >> http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html .
    > >>
    > >> I'm getting the impression that the snippets from this book,
    > >> and various on-line tutorials, of which so far 2/3 have been
    > >> teaching C with C++ grammar, is the best I can do for free. :)
    > >>
    > >> I did find a good tutorial, though, that actually is about
    > >> OOP in general, getting to C++ for his examples in about chap.
    > >> 6 or so:
    > >> http://www.zib.de/Visual/people/mueller/Course/Tutorial/tutorial.html
    > >>
    > >> It's very enlightening - in a couple of weeks, I'll probably be able
    > >> to understand the questions in the NG! :)

    > > Thinking in C++

    (http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html)
    > > is another good free resource.
    > >

    > I've also been lurking, and following the thread about a 2D matrix with
    > some interest. It seems to me that it's not a built-in concept - they do
    > mention arrays, but so far it isn't clear if an ordinary array is a valid
    > C++ construct,

    Sure it is. The syntax is the same as in C.

    int array[10];

    > just for old times' sake or something, but a 2D array seems
    > to be out of the question.

    Not at all.

    int arr2[10][10];

    > Well, the 2D array I have in mind isn't the kind of thing that you could
    > handle with any elegance as a vector, list, or map,

    A vector is the container that models an array. One can
    indeed create a vector of vectors (of vectors, etc.).
    "Elegance" is in the eye of the beholder, so I won't go there.

    > that I can see, unless
    > you would create a new class Array2D or something, which wouldn't be hard

    at
    > all. The matrix I have in mind, of course, is something like you'd see on
    > minesweeper or "the game of life." Static, and each element has a state.

    The 'state' of an array element would be its value.

    > Maybe that's one of those times when an entirely nother language might
    > be more appropriate, like APL or something. ;-)

    C++ can handle it just fine.

    > Then again, one of the tutorials is talking about point(), line(),
    > rectangle(), circle(), and such - maybe they'll get to "plane" and define
    > an XY array. I guess I'll find out! ;-)

    const size_t X(10);
    const size_t Y(10);

    int array[X][Y];

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Sep 3, 2004
  6. Rich Grise

    jeffc Guest

    "Rich Grise" <> wrote in message

    > Well, the 2D array I have in mind isn't the kind of thing that you could
    > handle with any elegance as a vector, list, or map, that I can see

    I think that either a vector of vectors or a map would do very nicely. A
    vector of vectors *is* a 2D array (abstractly speaking), and a map gives
    some additional niceties depending on what you're trying to do.

    jeffc, Sep 3, 2004
  7. Rich Grise

    Guest

    Rich Grise <> wrote in message news:<yJOZc.1919$UR2.972@trnddc08>...
    [snip]
    > I'm getting the impression that the snippets from this book,
    > and various on-line tutorials, of which so far 2/3 have been
    > teaching C with C++ grammar, is the best I can do for free. :)

    Hum. For free. Yes. Is your budget really so empty you can't afford
    even one book? I'd suggest you go get yourself a copy of Koenig and
    Moo _Accelerated C++_. They put your feet on the right path pretty
    early on in the game.
    Socks

    , Sep 3, 2004