    Is Linux (kernel and such) promarily coded in C or C++
    From what I understand, it is primarily C.

    If this is the case, should I just try to learn some C coding, or start with
    C++ as I will understand C anyway?

    A bit of advice would be appreciated.

    Thank you.

    Gus
    gustave, Sep 28, 2003

  2. gustave wrote:

    > I would like to be able to get a bit more involved in the coding of Linux.
    > I have not dabbled in programming other than Perl and Bash. So some
    > questions for the experts:
    >
    > Is Linux (kernel and such) promarily coded in C or C++
    > From what I understand, it is primarily C.
    >
    > If this is the case, should I just try to learn some C coding, or start with
    > C++ as I will understand C anyway?
    >
    > A bit of advice would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Gus

    Thank you for your post, Gus.

    The vast majority of Linux is coded in C; a small fraction of it is
    coded in assembly language.

    C++ is complex. Two other languages are in use just to try to
    simplify C++. Those languages are the Unified Modeling Language
    and the Interface Definition Language.

    My advice: learn C, and give yourself plenty of time to do it;
    avoid C++. Get the Linux source code and study it.

    Please email me privately if you would like help in downloading
    the Linux source code.

    --Steve
    Steve Zimmerman, Sep 28, 2003

  3. gustave

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "gustave" <> wrote in message
    > I would like to be able to get a bit more involved in the coding of Linux.
    > I have not dabbled in programming other than Perl and Bash. So some
    > questions for the experts:
    >
    > Is Linux (kernel and such) promarily coded in C or C++

    Find out by asking on a Linux group, or by googling
    for Linux information.

    > From what I understand, it is primarily C.
    >
    > If this is the case, should I just try to learn some C coding, or start

    with
    > C++ as I will understand C anyway?

    Learning C++ will *not* mean you've learned C.
    Despite their syntactical similarities, they're
    two completely distinct languages, each with
    their own rules and semantics.

    > A bit of advice would be appreciated.

    Try a Linux group to find out what you need to learn
    to do what you want.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Sep 28, 2003
  4. gustave

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <sDFdb.17046$o21.10066@edtnps84> "gustave" <> writes:

    >I would like to be able to get a bit more involved in the coding of Linux.
    >I have not dabbled in programming other than Perl and Bash. So some
    >questions for the experts:
    >
    >Is Linux (kernel and such) promarily coded in C or C++
    >From what I understand, it is primarily C.

    It is primarily coded in GNU C. GNU C is neither C nor C++.

    >If this is the case, should I just try to learn some C coding, or start with
    >C++ as I will understand C anyway?

    C and C++ are two different languages. Learning C++ will provide some
    insight into C, but not a working knowledge (there are subtle
    incompatibilities between the two languages).

    If you need C, there is no alternative to learning C.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group
    Dan Pop, Sep 29, 2003
  5. gustave

    John Bode Guest

    "gustave" <> wrote in message news:<sDFdb.17046$o21.10066@edtnps84>...
    > I would like to be able to get a bit more involved in the coding of Linux.
    > I have not dabbled in programming other than Perl and Bash. So some
    > questions for the experts:
    >
    > Is Linux (kernel and such) promarily coded in C or C++
    > From what I understand, it is primarily C.

    Mostly C with some GNU extensions and some assembler.

    > If this is the case, should I just try to learn some C coding, or start with
    > C++ as I will understand C anyway?

    Learning C++ will not necessarily teach you C; although they are
    similar in many ways, they are two distinct languages with their own
    rules. Learning one will *not* make you proficient with the other.
    For example, a statement as simple as

    void f();

    means different things in each language.

    Which you focus on depends on what you want to do. If you want to do
    a lot of GUI-oriented programming, C++ would probably be the way to
    go, since many of the popular GUI toolkits (Qt, KDE, etc.) are written
    in C++.

    Of the two languages, C is probably the easier to learn (fewer
    keywords, fewer features).

    John Bode, Sep 29, 2003