    hey folks i am having trouble going to sections of Bjarne's book "C++ Programming language". it's
    quite hard to follow. Are there any other good books on C++ from Java programmers perspective?

    thanks

    Captain Cook, Jun 25, 2008

  2. Captain Cook

    Captain Cook Guest

    Captain Cook wrote:
    > hey folks i am having trouble going to sections of Bjarne's book "C++
    > Programming language". it's quite hard to follow. Are there any other
    > good books on C++ from Java programmers perspective?
    >
    > thanks

    Anyone? If I haven't been clear about it, let me say that I need a book that gives me hints and
    explains to me in detail at each gotchas, how a Java programmer might make mistakes w.r.t C++ and
    also expounds on STL,Templates (pretty much everything from Bjarne's book). There used to be a
    forum/faq tucked somewhere but i can't seem to find it at the moment. :[

    thanks

    Captain Cook, Jun 25, 2008

  3. Captain Cook

    dhlewis48 Guest

    On Jun 25, 1:20 pm, Captain Cook <>
    wrote:
    > Captain Cook wrote:
    > > hey folks i am having trouble going to sections of Bjarne's book "C++
    > > Programming language". it's quite hard to follow. Are there any other
    > > good books on C++ from Java programmers perspective?

    > > thanks

    > Anyone? If I haven't been clear about it, let me say that I need a book that gives me hints and
    > explains to me in detail at each gotchas, how a Java programmer might make mistakes w.r.t C++ and
    > also expounds on STL,Templates (pretty much everything from Bjarne's book). There used to be a
    > forum/faq tucked somewhere but i can't seem to find it at the moment. :[
    >
    > thanks

    Try Dietel's C++ How to Program. It is quite comprehensive
    with a lot of examples, explanations, and UML.

    Then there's C++ Gotchas by Stephen Dewhurst, an interesting
    write on what C++ programmers (beginner, intermediate and
    advanced) should look out for.

    Both are listed on Amazon.

    I don't recall any books for Java programmers on C++, though
    I'm sure there should be.

    :)

    dhlewis48, Jun 25, 2008
  4. dhlewis48 wrote:

    > On Jun 25, 1:20 pm, Captain Cook <>
    > wrote:
    >> Captain Cook wrote:
    >> > hey folks i am having trouble going to sections of Bjarne's book "C++
    >> > Programming language". it's quite hard to follow. Are there any other
    >> > good books on C++ from Java programmers perspective?

    >> > thanks

    >> Anyone? If I haven't been clear about it, let me say that I need a book
    >> that gives me hints and explains to me in detail at each gotchas, how a
    >> Java programmer might make mistakes w.r.t C++ and also expounds on
    >> STL,Templates (pretty much everything from Bjarne's book). There used to
    >> be a forum/faq tucked somewhere but i can't seem to find it at the
    >> moment. :[
    >>
    >> thanks

    > Try Dietel's C++ How to Program. It is quite comprehensive
    > with a lot of examples, explanations, and UML.
    >
    > Then there's C++ Gotchas by Stephen Dewhurst, an interesting
    > write on what C++ programmers (beginner, intermediate and
    > advanced) should look out for.

    Wow, I knew of Dietel's Java book. Maybe I should give this a try.
    C++ Gotchas might be available here in library.

    > Both are listed on Amazon.
    >
    > I don't recall any books for Java programmers on C++, though
    > I'm sure there should be.
    >
    > :)

    A quick google tells me "C++ for Java Programmers" by Weiss. Is this any
    good?

    Sorry, I posted under different name than before. I felt it'd be a disgrace
    to captain cook who travelled around the world. :)

    --
    thanks

    nobody+cplusplus, Jun 25, 2008
  5. Christian Hackl, Jun 25, 2008
  6. Christian Hackl wrote:

    > Captain Cook wrote:
    >
    >> There used to be a forum/faq tucked somewhere but i can't seem to
    >> find it at the moment. :[

    > http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/

    great! thanks a lot. I've got to make it a habit to press Ctrl+D on
    firefox :) This is definitely the faq i was after. thanks! thanks!

    --
    thanks

    nobody+cplusplus, Jun 25, 2008
  7. On Jun 25, 7:09 am, nobody+cplusplus <> wrote:

    > A quick google tells me "C++ for Java Programmers" by Weiss. Is this any
    > good?

    http://accu.org/ is a good resource for book reviews.
    Unfortunately the book you mention doesn't seem to be
    in there. Caveat emptor wrt C++ books - the dross
    outweighs the good stuff by a significant factor.
    Search this group's archives for book recommendations,
    "what books should I learn from?" questions come up quite
    a lot (though I don't recall anyone asking from a Java
    perspective recently).
    Sorry this advice is a bit negative, but good luck !

    tragomaskhalos, Jun 25, 2008