    --
    Matt Beckwith, M.D.
    http://drbeckwith.com

    Matt Beckwith, Jul 20, 2003

  2. Matt Beckwith

    David Graham Guest

    "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    news:bfep5e$j7h$1$...
    > Matt Beckwith wrote:
    >
    > > 1. Whatever language I choose, will I have to buy a compiler? Or is

    there
    > > a language which either doesn't require a compiler, or which has a free
    > > compiler available?

    > You will need a compiler or (more likely) an interpreter. One or both are
    > available freely for just about every language out there.
    >
    > > 2. What database should I learn, to go with the language? My

    applications
    > > would be quite simple, such as a database of users and passwords so

    people
    > > could log onto my site, and to maintain a mailing list.

    > Most databases use SQL, so it doesn't make much difference. MySQL is

    popular
    > and free.
    >
    > > 3. What book(s) would you recommend?

    > Learning Perl and Programming Perl from O'Reilly, you might want to go for
    > The Perl CD Bookshelf which includes both of these.
    >
    > --
    > David Dorward http://david.us-lot.org/

    I found it relatively easy to learn php and mysql and they combine well for
    use on the web - handling variables from a from is very easy.

    David

    David Graham, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Matt Beckwith

    dj Guest

    "Matt Beckwith" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to learn server-side programming, and have a few questions:
    >
    > 1. Whatever language I choose, will I have to buy a compiler? Or is there

    > language which either doesn't require a compiler, or which has a free
    > compiler available?
    >
    > 2. What database should I learn, to go with the language? My applications
    > would be quite simple, such as a database of users and passwords so people
    > could log onto my site, and to maintain a mailing list.
    >
    > 3. What book(s) would you recommend?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > --
    > Matt Beckwith, M.D.
    > http://drbeckwith.com

    Perl is an excellent choice, it is fun to learn, and even more fun to use,
    and completely free.
    I recommend source edit (www.sourceedit.com) as a free editor.
    If you are on a windows platform get the cygwin package www.cygwin.com and
    install the perl option. FREE!
    cygwin also has apache + mods (inc php)

    mysql is fine (free!) but IMHO overkill for what you describe. if you are
    learning perl, you could use DB files, XML or even plain old text: with perl
    the world is your mollusc.

    the lama book and the camel book (as the 2 o'reilly books are commonly
    called) are an excellent start for anyone learning perl (but alas, not
    free). pay special attention to the section on pattern matching, it is the
    best skill you can learn.

    dj

    dj, Jul 21, 2003
  4. Matt Beckwith

    Mr. Clean Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > I'd like to learn server-side programming, and have a few questions:
    >
    > 1. Whatever language I choose, will I have to buy a compiler? Or is there a
    > language which either doesn't require a compiler, or which has a free
    > compiler available?
    >
    > 2. What database should I learn, to go with the language? My applications
    > would be quite simple, such as a database of users and passwords so people
    > could log onto my site, and to maintain a mailing list.
    >
    > 3. What book(s) would you recommend?

    Hey, Doc,
    I second D. Graham's post. PHP is MUCH easier to learn than Perl.
    It includes a lot of functionality built-in that Perl requires
    extra modules for.

    If you've ever done any other kind of programming, I'd suggest PHP
    over Perl because Perl makes you think very differently.

    Mr. Clean, Jul 21, 2003
  5. "Mr. Clean" <> wrote

    > I second D. Graham's post. PHP is MUCH easier to learn than Perl.
    > It includes a lot of functionality built-in that Perl requires
    > extra modules for.
    >
    > If you've ever done any other kind of programming, I'd suggest PHP
    > over Perl because Perl makes you think very differently.

    Thank-you, everyone, for the suggestions.

    I found an online tutorial for PHP/MYSQL and, just reading the first
    chapter, it looks pretty cool.

    I checked out my server, and it has both PHP and MYSQL capabilities, so I'm
    all set.

    I'm going to get a book on PHP/MYSQL though, just because I'd prefer to read
    a book than read something online (even though it's free online).

    One question: The tutorial talks about populating the database using a
    database dump, and this looks pretty complicated. Can't I just create the
    database and its fields using my server's interactive utility, and then
    create records (data) using the PHP in my web pages?

    Thanks.

    --
    Matt Beckwith, M.D.
    http://drbeckwith.com

    Matt Beckwith, Jul 22, 2003
  6. In article <>,
    says...

    > "Mr. Clean" <> wrote

    > I found an online tutorial for PHP/MYSQL and, just reading the first
    > chapter, it looks pretty cool.

    > One question: The tutorial talks about populating the database using a
    > database dump, and this looks pretty complicated. Can't I just create the
    > database and its fields using my server's interactive utility, and then
    > create records (data) using the PHP in my web pages?

    Sure, no problem.

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jul 22, 2003
  7. Re: PHP and MySQL

    All I ever needed has been

    > 1. PHP for the World Wide Web Visual Quickstart Guide

    and

    > 3. MySQL: Visual QuickStart Guide

    Both rock, and will show you exactly what you need to do for user accounts,
    Etc.

    --dan

    Daniel Conderman, Jul 31, 2003
  8. Re: PHP and MySQL

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:36:30 -0400, "Matt Beckwith"
    > <> wrote:

    .... learning mySql / PHP

    > I did have a shorter link somewhere for this post (it may wrap)

    > http://www.google.com/groups?q=php resource author:brian&hl=en&lr=&ie=
    > UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&scoring=r&selm=ehod0uk2s7onnft1qs6oh605s7akuvha2n%404ax.com&rnum=1

    FWIW, the 'selm' parameter is the only one you really need - it's just
    the message id:

    http://www.google.com/groups?&selm=ehod0uk2s7onnft1qs6oh605s7akuvha2n%
    404ax.com

    Still wraps, though... One could use makeashorterlink, or snurl, or
    link.to or one of those, but some of them will go away in time (probably
    before google groups does). It would be useful to be able to give links
    to newsgroup items in a form like eg :

    http://ggrps.com/

    So if ggrps.com goes away the message id is retained. Is there such a
    service? It wouldn't be hard to write. Or am I just rambling
    pointlessly?

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Jul 31, 2003
  9. Matt Beckwith

    Ernest Cline Guest

    Are there any newsreaders that check Google? (was: PHP and MySQL)

    (Original thread on alt.html, crossposted to news.software.readers)

    "Jacqui or (maybe) Pete" <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:36:30 -0400, "Matt Beckwith"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > ... learning mySql / PHP
    > >
    > > I did have a shorter link somewhere for this post (it may wrap)

    > > http://www.google.com/groups?q=php resource author:brian&hl=en&lr=&ie=

    UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&scoring=r&selm=ehod0uk2s7onnft1qs6oh605s7akuvha2n%404ax.com&r
    num=1

    > FWIW, the 'selm' parameter is the only one you really need - it's just
    > the message id:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/groups?&selm=ehod0uk2s7onnft1qs6oh605s7akuvha2n%
    > 404ax.com
    >
    > Still wraps, though... One could use makeashorterlink, or snurl, or
    > link.to or one of those, but some of them will go away in time (probably
    > before google groups does). It would be useful to be able to give links
    > to newsgroup items in a form like eg :
    >
    > http://ggrps.com/
    >
    > So if ggrps.com goes away the message id is retained. Is there such a
    > service? It wouldn't be hard to write. Or am I just rambling
    > pointlessly?

    There does exist a URL format for news articles, i.e.:
    What would be needed of course, would be a news reader that would go to
    Google (or some other repository) if it couldn't find the article on the
    user's news spool. I don't know if there exists a news reader that does
    that, but I don't think that it would be hard to code. Since the logical
    place to ask if there exists a reader that has a particular feature is
    news.software.readers, I've crossposted this reply there so that the
    regulars there can give an answer if they so desire.

    Ernest Cline, Jul 31, 2003
  10. Matt Beckwith

    MartinS Guest

    Re: Are there any newsreaders that check Google? (was: PHP and MySQL)

    On 31 Jul 2003, "Ernest Cline" <>
    wrote :

    > There does exist a URL format for news articles, i.e.:
    > What would be needed of course, would be a news reader that would go
    > to Google (or some other repository) if it couldn't find the article
    > on the user's news spool. I don't know if there exists a news
    > reader that does that, but I don't think that it would be hard to
    > code. Since the logical place to ask if there exists a reader that
    > has a particular feature is news.software.readers, I've crossposted
    > this reply there so that the regulars there can give an answer if
    > they so desire.

    Xnews.

    --
    Martin S.

    MartinS, Jul 31, 2003
  11. Re: Are there any newsreaders that check Google?

    ["Followup-To:" set to news.software.readers]

    * Ernest Cline [2003-07-31 16:45] :
    [...]

    Thore Tams wrote a macro for slrn that does this:
    <http://thore-tams.de/files/get-by-mid.sl>
    --
    Thomas Schultz <> News on slrn: http://slrn.sf.net/news.html
    ..-----------------------------. [2003-07-31] first beta with offline reading

    Thomas Schultz, Jul 31, 2003
  12. Re: Are there any newsreaders that check Google?

    "Ernest Cline" <> wrote in

    > There does exist a URL format for news articles, i.e.:
    > What would be needed of course, would be a news reader that would
    > go to Google (or some other repository) if it couldn't find the
    > article on the user's news spool. I don't know if there exists a
    > news reader that does that, but I don't think that it would be
    > hard to code. Since the logical place to ask if there exists a
    > reader that has a particular feature is news.software.readers,
    > I've crossposted this reply there so that the regulars there can
    > give an answer if they so desire.

    Xnews and Dialog both have the option of automatically sending a
    Google Groups URL to the browser. I believe SuperGravity does as
    well, but am not sure.

    --
    »Q«

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=, Jul 31, 2003
  13. Re: Are there any newsreaders that check Google?

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 20:07:52 +0200, Jarrod Cifer wrote:

    > Ernest Cline, upon reaching Nirvana, postulated:
    >
    >> here does exist a URL format for news articles, i.e.:
    >> What would be needed of course, would be a news reader that would go to
    >> Google (or some other repository) if it couldn't find the article on the
    >> user's news spool. I don't know if there exists a news reader that does
    >> that,

    > 40tude Dialog( http://www.40tude.com/dialog )

    I din't know that. Is this thing authomatic or do I have to do some tweak
    to activate it?
    --
    Malù - 31/07/2003 21.06.52

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mal=F9?=, Jul 31, 2003
  14. Matt Beckwith

    Isofarro Guest

    »Q« wrote:

    > "Ernest Cline" <> wrote in
    >
    >> There does exist a URL format for news articles, i.e.:
    >> What would be needed of course, would be a news reader that would
    >> go to Google (or some other repository) if it couldn't find the
    >> article on the user's news spool.

    > Xnews and Dialog both have the option of automatically sending a
    > Google Groups URL to the browser.

    KNode offers it when the article isn't available on the current newsserver.

    --
    Iso.
    Web Standards: http://www.webstandards.org/

    Isofarro, Jul 31, 2003
  15. Matt Beckwith

    Whiskers Guest

    Re: Are there any newsreaders that check Google? (was: PHP and MySQL)

    In news.software.readers on Thursday 31 Jul 2003 5:45 pm, Ernest Cline
    <> wrote:

    snip

    > What would be needed of course, would be a news reader that would go to
    > Google (or some other repository) if it couldn't find the article on the
    > user's news spool. I don't know if there exists a news reader that does
    > that, but I don't think that it would be hard to code.

    snip

    Is there a newsreader that doesn't?

    I can confirm that Xnews (Windows) and Knode (Linux) both do it nicely.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^ Interested in Citroens?
    -- Whiskers <http://www.aacit.net>

    Whiskers, Jul 31, 2003
  16. Matt Beckwith

    On 31 Jul 2003, Whiskers <> wrote :

    > Ernest Cline <> wrote:
    >
    > snip
    >
    >> What would be needed of course, would be a news reader that would
    >> go to Google (or some other repository) if it couldn't find the
    >> article on the user's news spool. I don't know if there exists a
    >> news reader that does that, but I don't think that it would be hard
    >> to code.

    > snip
    >
    > Is there a newsreader that doesn't?
    >
    > I can confirm that Xnews (Windows) and Knode (Linux) both do it
    > nicely.

    Is there a well-known newsreader that can't do anything right?
    Do ursine mammals defecate in the forest?

    --
    Martin S.

    MartinS, Jul 31, 2003
  17. Matt Beckwith

    Keith Guest

    Re: Are there any newsreaders that check Google? (was: PHP and MySQL)

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:45:40 -0400, "Ernest Cline"
    <> wrote:

    > There does exist a URL format for news articles, i.e.:
    > What would be needed of course, would be a news reader that would go to
    > Google (or some other repository) if it couldn't find the article on the
    > user's news spool. I don't know if there exists a news reader that does
    > that, but I don't think that it would be hard to code. Since the logical
    > place to ask if there exists a reader that has a particular feature is
    > news.software.readers, I've crossposted this reply there so that the
    > regulars there can give an answer if they so desire.

    The Agent news reader can do it with a program that called NewsDDE. All a
    person has to do is look at the headers message-id or references and double
    click it to bring up the program and launch the web browser.

    --
    The Radio Page Ham, Police Scanner, Shortwave and more.
    http://www.kilowatt-radio.org/

    Keith, Jul 31, 2003
  18. Matt Beckwith

    brucie Guest

    Re: Are there any newsreaders that check Google?

    In post <bgbh2v$rcd$>
    Ernest Cline said...

    > What would be needed of course, would be a news reader that would go to
    > Google (or some other repository) if it couldn't find the article on the
    > user's news spool. I don't know if there exists a news reader that does
    > that,

    brucies direct neural uplink 3.4b

    --
    brucie a. blackford. 01/August/2003 09:28:15 am kilo.
    http://loser.brucies.com/

    brucie, Aug 1, 2003
  19. Matt Beckwith

    Tom B. Guest

    Tom B., Aug 1, 2003
  20. Re: Are there any newsreaders that check Google?

    In article <>, nfn03862
    @naples.net says...
    > Jacqui or (maybe) Pete wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > [...]
    >
    > > > Try clicking news:
    > > >

    > > Yes, that works fine, thanks. Gravity thinks it's an email address.

    > Not Gravity 2.6 2056

    Upgraded - and works! Superb - thanks for your help.

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Aug 1, 2003