    to study the compilers that are there and first try to fix simple bugs
    in them. Can any one sugges on what compilers I can start? I dont want
    to start something complicated..
    Shakti, Nov 6, 2006

  2. Shakti

    Ian Collins Guest

    Shakti wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I wish to improve on my skills of writing a compiler. So I would like
    > to study the compilers that are there and first try to fix simple bugs
    > in them. Can any one sugges on what compilers I can start? I dont want
    > to start something complicated..

    The obvious answer would be gcc, but compilers are very complex beasts,
    so don't expect an easy ride.

    --
    Ian Collins.
    Ian Collins, Nov 6, 2006

  3. On 5 Nov 2006 23:54:37 -0800, Shakti wrote:
    > I wish to improve on my skills of writing a compiler. So I would like
    > to study the compilers that are there and first try to fix simple bugs
    > in them. Can any one sugges on what compilers I can start? I dont want
    > to start something complicated..

    OpenWatcom (http://www.openwatcom.org) might be worth a look (and of course,
    there is gcc)

    Christof

    http://cmeerw.org sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
    Christof Meerwald, Nov 6, 2006
  4. Shakti

    benben Guest

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Shakti wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I wish to improve on my skills of writing a compiler. So I would like
    >> to study the compilers that are there and first try to fix simple bugs
    >> in them. Can any one sugges on what compilers I can start? I dont want
    >> to start something complicated..
    >>

    > The obvious answer would be gcc, but compilers are very complex beasts,
    > so don't expect an easy ride.

    GCC is way too big to tackle for the first time. C++ is a complex
    language and a C++ compiler is very also very complex. I suggest you to
    start with something simpler, like a pascal compiler.

    Ben
    benben, Nov 6, 2006
  5. Shakti

    Binary Guest

    If you want to hack gcc, read <<gcc internals>> first.

    Binary, Nov 6, 2006
  6. Shakti

    Shakti Guest

    Hi,
    thanks for the suggestion. Can you send me some link on the PASCLE
    compiler...I will try in google but still if you know some thing
    specefic?
    'Thanks

    Shakti, Nov 9, 2006