Learning CSS

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Chet, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Chet

    Chet Guest

    I'm trying to get a handle on using CSS for layout and have a
    simple sample up at
    http://webpages.charter.net/rwtest/stuff/

    On my machine in IE 6, NN 7.1, Opera 7.11 and Mozilla 1.4 it
    looks as intended. BUT, in NN 4.61 it completely falls apart. On
    my wife's machine in Opera 7.20 it's fine, but in NN 4.78 again
    it's badly broken. Both machines run Win98SE.

    Would really appreciate any comments/criticism as to how I've
    done the markup. Both the HTML and CSS validates but that doesn't
    necessarily mean I'm doing it right.

    Also, in all but IE when the cursor is over the buttons in the
    left column the hover effect displays, but in IE the cursor has
    to be over the actual text/link. Is this just IE or is there a
    way to make the hover display as in the other browsers?

    Thanks in advance!
    --
    Chet
    (remove NO.....SPAM)

    Chet, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Chet

    Jeff Thies Guest

    > I'm trying to get a handle on using CSS for layout and have a
    > simple sample up at
    > http://webpages.charter.net/rwtest/stuff/
    >
    > On my machine in IE 6, NN 7.1, Opera 7.11 and Mozilla 1.4 it
    > looks as intended. BUT, in NN 4.61 it completely falls apart. On
    > my wife's machine in Opera 7.20 it's fine, but in NN 4.78 again
    > it's badly broken. Both machines run Win98SE.

    All flavors of NS4.x have a tough time with CSS. With NS 4. x finally
    falling below 1% market share, I think it's time to move on.

    NS4.x is particularly bad with margins. Hiding all your margins form NS4.x,
    particularly on floated content will help considerably.

    Try comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets. Ask about the @import trick
    or better, google it up.

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Chet

    Lois Guest

    "Jeff Thies" wrote:
    : All flavors of NS4.x have a tough time with CSS. With NS 4. x finally
    : falling below 1% market share, I think it's time to move on.

    There are NS4-compatible 3-column CSS layouts at
    http://www.fu2k.org/alex/css/index.mhtml.

    Lois

    Lois, Jan 26, 2004