    2. Books about large-scale C design/programming.

    Thanks in advance,
    Mick

    myheartinamerica, Mar 24, 2008

  2. myheartinamerica <> writes:

    >Hello,

    >I've written a number of C programs of relatively small size, and am
    >looking to make the jump to larger programs. I'd appreciate
    >recommendations for the following (as I feel that my skill level
    >doesn't allow me to properly discern good from bad):

    >1. Open source projects that are organized well and coded well.
    >2. Books about large-scale C design/programming.

    I am about half way through:

    Code Reading: The Open Source Perspective
    by Diomidis Spinellis
    http://www.amazon.com/Code-Reading-Perspective-Effective-Development/dp/0201799405

    and have found much of it interesting (though not immediately helpful
    for *my* work).

    --
    Chris.

    Chris McDonald, Mar 24, 2008

  3. myheartinamerica

    Morris Dovey Guest

    myheartinamerica wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've written a number of C programs of relatively small size, and am
    > looking to make the jump to larger programs. I'd appreciate
    > recommendations for the following (as I feel that my skill level
    > doesn't allow me to properly discern good from bad):
    >
    > 1. Open source projects that are organized well and coded well.
    > 2. Books about large-scale C design/programming.

    In the second catagory, I suggest "Advanced Programming in the
    UNIX Environment" by W. Richard Stevens. For a beginner it'll
    present a healthy level of challenge without being absolutely
    overwhelming. As the name says, it's Unix oriented - but that's
    not a bad direction to follow for large-scale topics.

    --
    Morris Dovey
    DeSoto Solar

    Morris Dovey, Mar 24, 2008
  4. myheartinamerica

    user923005 Guest

    On Mar 24, 2:22 pm, myheartinamerica <>
    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've written a number of C programs of relatively small size, and am
    > looking to make the jump to larger programs. I'd appreciate
    > recommendations for the following (as I feel that my skill level
    > doesn't allow me to properly discern good from bad):
    >
    > 1. Open source projects that are organized well and coded well.

    There are some nice projects on SourceForge.
    PostgreSQL is an all C database that is fairly well done.

    I recommend using doxygen to analyze a source code base for better
    understanding.

    > 2. Books about large-scale C design/programming.

    "The Mythical Man Month" is a must read:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month
    This is a good read:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Practice_of_Programming

    user923005, Mar 25, 2008
  5. myheartinamerica

    Bill Reid Guest

    myheartinamerica <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've written a number of C programs of relatively small size, and am
    > looking to make the jump to larger programs. I'd appreciate
    > recommendations for the following (as I feel that my skill level
    > doesn't allow me to properly discern good from bad):
    >
    > 1. Open source projects that are organized well and coded well.

    Well, I know two biggies that even if you could quibble about
    some of their technical merits, the way the code is presented
    on the web is quite spectacular.

    First, the mozilla.org code site:

    http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/

    That looks like a lot of "C"...and they use a tool that was developed
    for Linux to display the code on the web, so you can check out the
    Linux source at:

    http://lxr.linux.no/

    I actually have looked at both occasionally just for "ideas 'n stuff"...

    ---
    William Ernest Reid

    Bill Reid, Mar 27, 2008