learning from an existing project's code

myheartinamerica

Hello,

I've written a number of C programs of relatively small size, and am
looking to make the jump to larger programs. I'd appreciate
recommendations for the following (as I feel that my skill level
doesn't allow me to properly discern good from bad):

1. Open source projects that are organized well and coded well.
2. Books about large-scale C design/programming.

Thanks in advance,
Mick

Chris McDonald

myheartinamerica said:
I've written a number of C programs of relatively small size, and am
looking to make the jump to larger programs. I'd appreciate
recommendations for the following (as I feel that my skill level
doesn't allow me to properly discern good from bad):
1. Open source projects that are organized well and coded well.
2. Books about large-scale C design/programming.

I am about half way through:

Code Reading: The Open Source Perspective
by Diomidis Spinellis
http://www.amazon.com/Code-Reading-Perspective-Effective-Development/dp/0201799405

and have found much of it interesting (though not immediately helpful
for *my* work).

Morris Dovey

myheartinamerica said:
Hello,

I've written a number of C programs of relatively small size, and am
looking to make the jump to larger programs. I'd appreciate
recommendations for the following (as I feel that my skill level
doesn't allow me to properly discern good from bad):

1. Open source projects that are organized well and coded well.
2. Books about large-scale C design/programming.

In the second catagory, I suggest "Advanced Programming in the
UNIX Environment" by W. Richard Stevens. For a beginner it'll
present a healthy level of challenge without being absolutely
overwhelming. As the name says, it's Unix oriented - but that's
not a bad direction to follow for large-scale topics.

user923005

Hello,

I've written a number of C programs of relatively small size, and am
looking to make the jump to larger programs. I'd appreciate
recommendations for the following (as I feel that my skill level
doesn't allow me to properly discern good from bad):

1. Open source projects that are organized well and coded well.

There are some nice projects on SourceForge.
PostgreSQL is an all C database that is fairly well done.

I recommend using doxygen to analyze a source code base for better
understanding.
2. Books about large-scale C design/programming.

"The Mythical Man Month" is a must read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month
This is a good read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Practice_of_Programming

Bill Reid

myheartinamerica said:
Hello,

I've written a number of C programs of relatively small size, and am
looking to make the jump to larger programs. I'd appreciate
recommendations for the following (as I feel that my skill level
doesn't allow me to properly discern good from bad):

1. Open source projects that are organized well and coded well.

Well, I know two biggies that even if you could quibble about
some of their technical merits, the way the code is presented
on the web is quite spectacular.

First, the mozilla.org code site:

http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/

That looks like a lot of "C"...and they use a tool that was developed
for Linux to display the code on the web, so you can check out the
Linux source at:

http://lxr.linux.no/

I actually have looked at both occasionally just for "ideas 'n stuff"...