Learning game programming timescales

Discussion in 'C++' started by the_philospher, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. I am a beginner programmer learning c++. i have read some useful
    information about programming games (which is my goal) on gamedev.net,
    particularly "how do i program games"
    http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/makegames/.

    the article suggests first programming a tetris clone, then moving on
    to "breakout", "pacman", and a super mario style game..

    My question is, how long should it realistically take me to be able to
    complete these projects?

    i am new to c++ but have been spending 6 hours a day, so at this
    rate.. how long before i am a "game programmer"

    thanks for your opinion.
    the_philospher, Mar 1, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. the_philospher wrote:

    > I am a beginner programmer learning c++. i have read some useful
    > information about programming games (which is my goal) on gamedev.net,
    > particularly "how do i program games"
    > http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/makegames/.
    >
    > the article suggests first programming a tetris clone, then moving on
    > to "breakout", "pacman", and a super mario style game..
    >
    > My question is, how long should it realistically take me to be able to
    > complete these projects?
    >
    > i am new to c++ but have been spending 6 hours a day, so at this
    > rate.. how long before i am a "game programmer"



    It take some time before you become a programmer. At first you have to
    learn enough ISO C++, that is the language itself.


    Then you have to learn some graphics framework like OpenGL or DirectX
    (now part of .NET). But before this, perhaps you should also learn some
    GUI stuff, how to create Windows, menus, etc.


    Becoming a (real) programmer takes time. That's for sure. Be prepared
    for that.



    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys
    Ioannis Vranos, Mar 1, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "the_philospher" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:...
    >I am a beginner programmer learning c++. i have read some useful
    > information about programming games (which is my goal) on
    > gamedev.net,
    > particularly "how do i program games"
    > http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/makegames/.
    >
    > the article suggests first programming a tetris clone, then moving
    > on
    > to "breakout", "pacman", and a super mario style game..
    >
    > My question is, how long should it realistically take me to be able
    > to
    > complete these projects?
    >
    > i am new to c++ but have been spending 6 hours a day, so at this
    > rate.. how long before i am a "game programmer"
    >
    > thanks for your opinion.


    it totally depends on you. See, I write a (working,but ugly) tetris,
    breakout and pacman together in 10 h easily. I bet that's not how fast
    you will start.
    If you want to learn "game programming", there's 2 things you will
    learn: C/C++ and Game Programming. Both are much to learn. Maybe you
    want to try game programming first (www.glbasic.com) and C++ after
    you're familiar with game design + programming concepts?
    This way you don't have to bother with application setup, writing a
    game engine (input/graphics/sound) and things. Plus: GLBasic offers
    Linux + PocketPC executables on click.

    Just my .02 ct
    -Gernot
    Gernot Frisch, Mar 1, 2005
    #3
  4. the_philospher

    SirMike Guest

    the_philospher wrote:
    > i am new to c++ but have been spending 6 hours a day, so at this
    > rate.. how long before i am a "game programmer"

    I can tell you what it looks/looked like in my case.
    I've been programming for about 10 years (c++ for 5-6 years,
    directx/opengl for 2-3 years) In this time i tried to learn as much as
    could and now I can tell that it is enough to write a game :)

    --
    SirMike
    the code is my strength
    http://www.sirmike.grudziadz.com
    SirMike, Mar 1, 2005
    #4
  5. Gernot Frisch wrote:

    > it totally depends on you. See, I write a (working,but ugly) tetris,
    > breakout and pacman together in 10 h easily. I bet that's not how fast
    > you will start.
    > If you want to learn "game programming", there's 2 things you will
    > learn: C/C++ and Game Programming. Both are much to learn. Maybe you
    > want to try game programming first (www.glbasic.com) and C++ after
    > you're familiar with game design + programming concepts?
    > This way you don't have to bother with application setup, writing a
    > game engine (input/graphics/sound) and things. Plus: GLBasic offers
    > Linux + PocketPC executables on click.



    It is probably something like Avalon, the upcoming simple 3D managed API
    (subset of WinFX) of Longhorn.


    If you have enough bandwidth you can download a .wmv file from
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=34528, where some of its
    abilities are displayed with the use of a new compiled MS .net language
    named XAML, which is aimed for GUI stuff only:




    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys
    Ioannis Vranos, Mar 1, 2005
    #5
  6. Well, specifically if anyone could give me any ideas how much learning time
    would enable me to write a simple 2d game like tetris.. and the others
    mentioned. Obviously writing a professional game would take many years of
    experience and couldnt be done by one single person.
    the_philosopher, Mar 1, 2005
    #6
  7. the_philospher

    dumitru Guest

    the_philosopher wrote:
    > Well, specifically if anyone could give me any ideas how much

    learning time
    > would enable me to write a simple 2d game like tetris.. and the

    others
    > mentioned. Obviously writing a professional game would take many

    years of
    > experience and couldnt be done by one single person.


    Well... I had the same problem... I knew I had to do a tetris clone
    before I could go further... It took me ~ 1 week for algorithm design
    back then....then one more week for code. It was written under DOS.
    Then, it took me ~ 1 week to adapt it for win32. I must admit I didn't
    know almost anything about win32...so I was writting the win32 code
    simultaniously as reading a good tutorial about it (I think it was
    Forgers Win32 Tutorial...I suppose...)...

    Also, I knew C pretty well... and a bit of C++.

    You can see those results at netrix.sf.net...
    dumitru, Mar 1, 2005
    #7
  8. the_philospher

    SirMike Guest

    the_philosopher wrote:
    > Well, specifically if anyone could give me any ideas how much learning time
    > would enable me to write a simple 2d game like tetris.. and the others
    > mentioned. Obviously writing a professional game would take many years of
    > experience and couldnt be done by one single person.

    I cannot say if you will do it in two days, two weeks or two months.
    It's impossible. You say that you're spending 6 hours a day with c++.
    OK, but what do you do/learn in this time ? Make loops and functions or
    templates and advanced inheritance ??
    Simple tetris game can be written in a few days. All depend on your skills.

    --
    SirMike
    the code is my strength
    http://www.sirmike.grudziadz.com
    SirMike, Mar 1, 2005
    #8
  9. the_philosopher wrote:

    > Well, specifically if anyone could give me any ideas how much learning time
    > would enable me to write a simple 2d game like tetris.. and the others
    > mentioned. Obviously writing a professional game would take many years of
    > experience and couldnt be done by one single person.



    Assuming you have no C++ knowledge and any programming experience at all.


    Under normal circumstances, a couple of years to become enough fluent in
    C++ and a couple of years to learn some graphics framework in a decent
    level.

    And then continue learning the rest of ISO C++ and more specialised things.




    --
    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys
    Ioannis Vranos, Mar 1, 2005
    #9
  10. > Assuming you have no C++ knowledge and any programming experience at all.
    >
    >
    > Under normal circumstances, a couple of years to become enough fluent in
    > C++ and a couple of years to learn some graphics framework in a decent
    > level.
    >
    > And then continue learning the rest of ISO C++ and more specialised

    things.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Ioannis Vranos
    >
    > http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys


    Ok now it is a bit clearer.
    I can do any kind of textual and mathematical stuff , arrays and pointers,
    OO classes, functions, loops, console input output, read/write text files...

    So im gonna be delivering pizzas for a few more years :( .assuming i keep
    trying to learn.
    the_philosopher, Mar 1, 2005
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. BlackHawke
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    1,550
    Andrew Thompson
    Jan 26, 2004
  2. judith
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,628
    judith
    Nov 1, 2006
  3. Max Kubierschky
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,831
    pabloreda
    Mar 31, 2007
  4. Advertiser for `2D Games Development Central`

    {Game Development} 2D Game Development Central

    Advertiser for `2D Games Development Central`, May 7, 2008, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    402
    RedGrittyBrick
    May 8, 2008
  5. Advertiser for `2D Games Development Central`

    {Game Development} 2D Game Development Central

    Advertiser for `2D Games Development Central`, May 7, 2008, in forum: C++
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    382
    Advertiser for `2D Games Development Central`
    May 7, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page