learning html, need book with excercises/practice labs

dangerousdt

hello,
I'm new to HTML, I'm reading the O'Reilly book:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/html5/

I'd really like to have practice 'labs' or questions. I'm on chapter 4 and
so far I don't see ANY labs or practice questions.

I really like to learn by examples or by doing labs - especially with
something like HTML.

So, are there any books or links you can share that have this sort of thing?

Thanks,

Dave

Sally Thompson

hello,
I'm new to HTML, I'm reading the O'Reilly book:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/html5/

I'd really like to have practice 'labs' or questions. I'm on chapter 4 and
so far I don't see ANY labs or practice questions.

I really like to learn by examples or by doing labs - especially with
something like HTML.

So, are there any books or links you can share that have this sort of thing?

I like the Elizabeth Castro book: HTMLfor the World Wide Web with
XHTML and CSS. Lots of examples and exercises, and an associated web
site with source code for them. I also used the W3Schools lessons:
<http://www.w3schools.com/> where you can make changes online and see
the result.

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
I like the Elizabeth Castro book: HTMLfor the World Wide Web with
XHTML and CSS. Lots of examples and exercises, and an associated web
site with source code for them. I also used the W3Schools lessons:
<http://www.w3schools.com/> where you can make changes online and see
the result.

I've got the same book and would second that recommendation.

boo

(Pete Cresswell) said:
RE/

I've got the same book and would second that recommendation.

Wow!
Thanks for the book recommendation!

Have a great holiday everyone

Christopher J. Henrich

Sally Thompson said:
I like the Elizabeth Castro book: HTMLfor the World Wide Web with
XHTML and CSS. Lots of examples and exercises, and an associated web
site with source code for them. I also used the W3Schools lessons:
<http://www.w3schools.com/> where you can make changes online and see
the result.
I like Castro's book, too. I would also recommend _Eric Meyer on CSS_,
which can be used as a whole bookful of exercises in doing layout and
presentation with CSS instead of with tricky html code. It is not
principally about design issues, but does suggest an approach to them.

Uncle Pirate

Christopher said:
I like Castro's book, too. I would also recommend _Eric Meyer on CSS_,
which can be used as a whole bookful of exercises in doing layout and
presentation with CSS instead of with tricky html code. It is not
principally about design issues, but does suggest an approach to them.

I like the book except for the fact that it teaches Transitional HTML.
I used the book for the class I taught last semester with the warning
that the HTML 4.01 recommendation is from 1998. The time for transition
is long past; use strict HTML.

There are many cases that created problems for my students as the book
often suggests the use of deprecated elements. There was a lot of
fixing pages as my first step in grading was to validate to HTML 4.01
strict. All validation errors were considered errors for grading purposes.

I am a firm believer that we learn from our mistakes so I always point
out the mistakes taking points off lowering the grade. Students are
then told that they can still get 100% on every assignment by fixing the
errors I point out. I don't care how many times they need to go back;
each time, they learn a bit more.

Cooordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

Christopher J. Henrich

Uncle Pirate said:
I like the book except for the fact that it teaches Transitional HTML.
I used the book for the class I taught last semester with the warning
that the HTML 4.01 recommendation is from 1998. The time for transition
is long past; use strict HTML.
This is good in principle. It is difficult for me, in practice. I am
trying to build web pages with applets on them. The <applet> tag has
been "deprecated" for years, but is still accepted by many of the
browsers that I have used for testing - /if/ I specify "transitional"
HTML. If I specify "strict" HTML then <applet> is rejected as an
error.

Well obviously I should change my <applet> tags to <object> tags. Yes,
but this opens up such a can of worms that I will put them in a
different thread.
There are many cases that created problems for my students as the book
often suggests the use of deprecated elements. There was a lot of
fixing pages as my first step in grading was to validate to HTML 4.01
strict. All validation errors were considered errors for grading purposes.

I am a firm believer that we learn from our mistakes so I always point
out the mistakes taking points off lowering the grade. Students are
then told that they can still get 100% on every assignment by fixing the
errors I point out. I don't care how many times they need to go back;
each time, they learn a bit more.
Very good rules. You make the learning experience more like work. (But
I bet they complain.) Also, the students are getting acquainted with
the realities of changing technology.