learning html, need book with excercises/practice labs

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dangerousdt, Dec 19, 2004.

  1. dangerousdt

    dangerousdt Guest

    hello,
    I'm new to HTML, I'm reading the O'Reilly book:
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/html5/

    I'd really like to have practice 'labs' or questions. I'm on chapter 4 and
    so far I don't see ANY labs or practice questions.

    I really like to learn by examples or by doing labs - especially with
    something like HTML.

    So, are there any books or links you can share that have this sort of thing?


    Thanks,


    Dave
     
    dangerousdt, Dec 19, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:36:14 GMT, dangerousdt
    <> wrote:

    >hello,
    >I'm new to HTML, I'm reading the O'Reilly book:
    >http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/html5/
    >
    >I'd really like to have practice 'labs' or questions. I'm on chapter 4 and
    >so far I don't see ANY labs or practice questions.
    >
    >I really like to learn by examples or by doing labs - especially with
    >something like HTML.
    >
    >So, are there any books or links you can share that have this sort of thing?


    I like the Elizabeth Castro book: HTMLfor the World Wide Web with
    XHTML and CSS. Lots of examples and exercises, and an associated web
    site with source code for them. I also used the W3Schools lessons:
    <http://www.w3schools.com/> where you can make changes online and see
    the result.

    --
    Sally in Shropshire, UK
    bed and breakfast near Ludlow: http://www.stonybrook-ludlow.co.uk
    Reply To address is spam trap
     
    Sally Thompson, Dec 19, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. RE/
    >I like the Elizabeth Castro book: HTMLfor the World Wide Web with
    >XHTML and CSS. Lots of examples and exercises, and an associated web
    >site with source code for them. I also used the W3Schools lessons:
    ><http://www.w3schools.com/> where you can make changes online and see
    >the result.


    I've got the same book and would second that recommendation.
    --
    PeteCresswell
     
    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 19, 2004
    #3
  4. dangerousdt

    boo Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    > RE/
    >>I like the Elizabeth Castro book: HTMLfor the World Wide Web with
    >>XHTML and CSS. Lots of examples and exercises, and an associated web
    >>site with source code for them. I also used the W3Schools lessons:
    >><http://www.w3schools.com/> where you can make changes online and see
    >>the result.

    >
    > I've got the same book and would second that recommendation.


    Wow!
    Thanks for the book recommendation!

    Have a great holiday everyone
     
    boo, Dec 20, 2004
    #4
  5. In article <>, Sally Thompson
    <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:36:14 GMT, dangerousdt
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >hello,
    > >I'm new to HTML, I'm reading the O'Reilly book:
    > >http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/html5/
    > >
    > >I'd really like to have practice 'labs' or questions. I'm on chapter 4 and
    > >so far I don't see ANY labs or practice questions.
    > >
    > >I really like to learn by examples or by doing labs - especially with
    > >something like HTML.
    > >
    > >So, are there any books or links you can share that have this sort of thing?

    >
    > I like the Elizabeth Castro book: HTMLfor the World Wide Web with
    > XHTML and CSS. Lots of examples and exercises, and an associated web
    > site with source code for them. I also used the W3Schools lessons:
    > <http://www.w3schools.com/> where you can make changes online and see
    > the result.

    I like Castro's book, too. I would also recommend _Eric Meyer on CSS_,
    which can be used as a whole bookful of exercises in doing layout and
    presentation with CSS instead of with tricky html code. It is not
    principally about design issues, but does suggest an approach to them.

    --
    Chris Henrich
    God just doesn't fit inside a single religion.
     
    Christopher J. Henrich, Dec 20, 2004
    #5
  6. dangerousdt

    Uncle Pirate Guest

    Christopher J. Henrich wrote:
    > I like Castro's book, too. I would also recommend _Eric Meyer on CSS_,
    > which can be used as a whole bookful of exercises in doing layout and
    > presentation with CSS instead of with tricky html code. It is not
    > principally about design issues, but does suggest an approach to them.
    >


    I like the book except for the fact that it teaches Transitional HTML.
    I used the book for the class I taught last semester with the warning
    that the HTML 4.01 recommendation is from 1998. The time for transition
    is long past; use strict HTML.

    There are many cases that created problems for my students as the book
    often suggests the use of deprecated elements. There was a lot of
    fixing pages as my first step in grading was to validate to HTML 4.01
    strict. All validation errors were considered errors for grading purposes.

    I am a firm believer that we learn from our mistakes so I always point
    out the mistakes taking points off lowering the grade. Students are
    then told that they can still get 100% on every assignment by fixing the
    errors I point out. I don't care how many times they need to go back;
    each time, they learn a bit more.

    --
    Stan McCann "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/pirate.html
    Webmaster/Computer Center Manager, NMSU at Alamogordo
    Cooordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
    '94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg
    A zest for living must include a willingness to die. - R.A. Heinlein
     
    Uncle Pirate, Dec 20, 2004
    #6
  7. In article <41c7537f$>, Uncle Pirate
    <> wrote:

    > Christopher J. Henrich wrote:
    > > I like Castro's book, too. I would also recommend _Eric Meyer on CSS_,
    > > which can be used as a whole bookful of exercises in doing layout and
    > > presentation with CSS instead of with tricky html code. It is not
    > > principally about design issues, but does suggest an approach to them.
    > >

    >
    > I like the book except for the fact that it teaches Transitional HTML.
    > I used the book for the class I taught last semester with the warning
    > that the HTML 4.01 recommendation is from 1998. The time for transition
    > is long past; use strict HTML.

    This is good in principle. It is difficult for me, in practice. I am
    trying to build web pages with applets on them. The <applet> tag has
    been "deprecated" for years, but is still accepted by many of the
    browsers that I have used for testing - /if/ I specify "transitional"
    HTML. If I specify "strict" HTML then <applet> is rejected as an
    error.

    Well obviously I should change my <applet> tags to <object> tags. Yes,
    but this opens up such a can of worms that I will put them in a
    different thread.

    >
    > There are many cases that created problems for my students as the book
    > often suggests the use of deprecated elements. There was a lot of
    > fixing pages as my first step in grading was to validate to HTML 4.01
    > strict. All validation errors were considered errors for grading purposes.
    >
    > I am a firm believer that we learn from our mistakes so I always point
    > out the mistakes taking points off lowering the grade. Students are
    > then told that they can still get 100% on every assignment by fixing the
    > errors I point out. I don't care how many times they need to go back;
    > each time, they learn a bit more.

    Very good rules. You make the learning experience more like work. (But
    I bet they complain.) Also, the students are getting acquainted with
    the realities of changing technology.

    --
    Chris Henrich
    God just doesn't fit inside a single religion.
     
    Christopher J. Henrich, Dec 22, 2004
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iaW5C?=

    Problem with Hands On Labs from TechEd 2005

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iaW5C?=, Oct 27, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,111
    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iaW5C?=
    Oct 27, 2005
  2. Bruno Georges
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    338
    Bruno Georges
    Aug 6, 2004
  3. Venkat B
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    416
    Venkat B
    Apr 4, 2005
  4. patrick vergain

    http://zephyrfalcon.org/labs/wax.html

    patrick vergain, Apr 4, 2005, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    317
    patrick vergain
    Apr 4, 2005
  5. Scott Taylor

    Ruby tutorials w/ excercises

    Scott Taylor, Jan 30, 2006, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    173
    Jeppe Jakobsen
    Feb 1, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page