Learning J2EE without prior knowledge of Java

angsapurai

Hello.....
I need your opinion on this. I don't have any programming experience
in Java.
I only have minimal experience in C++ programming but that was many
many years (> 5 years) ago.
Do you think it is possible to start learning J2EE without any
experience in Java?

Thanks
Angsa

bugbear

Hello.....
I need your opinion on this. I don't have any programming experience
in Java.
I only have minimal experience in C++ programming but that was many
many years (> 5 years) ago.
Do you think it is possible to start learning J2EE without any
experience in Java?

Only to the extend that you learn java at the same time.

Java is not a conceptually difficult language;
in practice "Java Experience" is (actually) familiarity
with libraries and working practices.

BugBear

Robert Klemme

I need your opinion on this. I don't have any programming experience
in Java.
I only have minimal experience in C++ programming but that was many
many years (> 5 years) ago.
Do you think it is possible to start learning J2EE without any
experience in Java?

That depends on what you mean by "learning". You can certainly read all
the conceptual documentation and understand a great deal of it without
Java knowledge. Does that mean you can go into a shop and build up a
J2EE system? Most likely not.

Kind regards

robert

Alex Hunsley

Hello.....
I need your opinion on this. I don't have any programming experience
in Java.
I only have minimal experience in C++ programming but that was many
many years (> 5 years) ago.
Do you think it is possible to start learning J2EE without any
experience in Java?

Yes and no. Yes, in theory you could start learning J2EE and Java and
the same time, and learn a certain amount. But 'no' in that you wouldn't
be very experienced at Java, and confusion over Java language issues
versus confusion over J2EE concepts and issues would trip you up - if
something wasn't working the way you expected, how would you know if it
was a J2EE issue/concept, or just an issue with your understanding of
Java? In short, learning something is more fruitful when you limit the
amount of unknowns.
So in summary, I don't think it's wise.

What you gives you the interest in learning J2EE in particular, by the way?

Sanjay

Hello.....
I need your opinion on this. I don't have any programming experience
in Java.
I only have minimal experience in C++ programming but that was many
many years (> 5 years) ago.
Do you think it is possible to start learning J2EE without any
experience in Java?

Thanks
Angsa

I woldn't advise that. I am one of those people, who migrated to
java/j2ee from something else. It is incrementally harder to grasp
everything without knowing core java first. Besides if you are good at
c++, you can learn java with a week.