    kurasaki91 Guest

    Everyone here, should have started learning as a noob at once. how you guys learned this language as a noob?
    i am planning to do OCA(java 7 SE). do you suggest to write this exam?
    kurasaki91, Sep 17, 2012

  2. kurasaki91

    markspace Guest

    On 9/17/2012 9:16 AM, kurasaki91 wrote:
    > Everyone here, should have started learning as a noob at once. how
    > you guys learned this language as a noob? i am planning to do
    > OCA(java 7 SE). do you suggest to write this exam?

    I actually took the SJCP exam way back when I first started with Java.
    The exam itself was a piece of cake and not really worth the effort,
    however studying for it helped me learn Java.

    I recommend exam books by Kathy Sierra if you're going to take the exam,
    she seems to have the most comprehensive books. I used an earlier
    version, but this looks like the current study guide:

    <http://www.amazon.com/Programmer-Study-Guide-1Z0-803-Certification/dp/0071772006/>

    OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide (Exams 1Z0-803 & 804)
    (Certification Press) [Hardcover]
    Kathy Sierra (Author), Bert Bates (Author)
    markspace, Sep 17, 2012

  3. kurasaki91

    Lew Guest

    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Sep 17, 2012
  4. kurasaki91

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 9/17/2012 1:09 PM, markspace wrote:
    > On 9/17/2012 9:16 AM, kurasaki91 wrote:
    >> Everyone here, should have started learning as a noob at once. how
    >> you guys learned this language as a noob? i am planning to do
    >> OCA(java 7 SE). do you suggest to write this exam?
    >>

    > I actually took the SJCP exam way back when I first started with Java.
    > The exam itself was a piece of cake and not really worth the effort,
    > however studying for it helped me learn Java.
    >
    > I recommend exam books by Kathy Sierra if you're going to take the exam,
    > she seems to have the most comprehensive books. I used an earlier
    > version, but this looks like the current study guide:
    >
    > <http://www.amazon.com/Programmer-Study-Guide-1Z0-803-Certification/dp/0071772006/>
    >

    > OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide (Exams 1Z0-803 & 804)
    > (Certification Press) [Hardcover]
    > Kathy Sierra (Author), Bert Bates (Author)

    I will second that.

    Sierra and Bates are pretty good.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Sep 17, 2012
  5. kurasaki91

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 9/17/2012 12:16 PM, kurasaki91 wrote:
    > Everyone here, should have started learning as a noob at once. how you guys learned this language as a noob?
    > i am planning to do OCA(java 7 SE). do you suggest to write this exam?

    I will suggest:
    1) Get a good Java beginners book
    2) Supplement with stuff on the internet like the official Java tutorial
    3) Get a study guide for that specific certification

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Sep 17, 2012
  6. kurasaki91

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:16:27 -0700 (PDT), kurasaki91
    who said :

    >Everyone here, should have started learning as a noob at once. how you guys learned this language as a noob?
    >i am planning to do OCA(java 7 SE). do you suggest to write this exam?

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html

    the most important thing is to find yourself some projects to
    implement. Just reading texts gives you a very shallow understanding.
    A project motivates you to dig in.

    See http://mindprod.com/project/projects.html
    for some project ideas.
    The iPhone 5 is a low end Rolex.