    Where is a URL or site that is current and will help me learn JavaScript. I
    have used C++ for years and played a bit with JavaScript but now I want to
    learn it.
    NEWS, Dec 23, 2005

  2. NEWS

    Spasmoid Guest

    Best way to learn it is to give yourself a bite sized project.

    Simplify things by choosing 1 environment to begin with (ie, if the JS
    will run in a web browser environment, then choose one browser to begin
    with - note IE will teach you bad habbits).

    Learn the core language first before getting mixed up in the document
    object model (DOM). DOM brings with it a host of separate issues.

    You will do well to begin your journey by reading this guide
    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Guide
    Read all of it. Don't skim, and don't miss anything. You miss a detail
    in JS, and you pay for it later in debug time.

    Clear your mind of prejudices and expectations about the language. You
    only find out how powerful it is if you are receptive to it's unique
    approach to scoping, typing, and object architecture.

    good luck.

    ps. Take the time early on to familiarise yourself with Venkman. You
    won't regret it. I can't live without it now. It's a great tool for
    disecting JS even as you browse other people's page in your web
    travells.
    For firefox 1.5, you can get venkman here:
    http://getahead.ltd.uk/ajax/venkman
    Official home: http://hacksrus.com/~ginda/venkman/
    Don't try to learn Venkman thoroughly initially. just learn your way
    arround it, how to set break points and watch expressions.
    Spasmoid, Dec 23, 2005