Learning Javascript

rich

I'd like to improve my webdesign knowledge and learn how to write
Javascripts. I have built my own website. I have javascripts on my site
that I havent written. I download them and edit them where I need to to
fit my site and then put them in.

I have dabbed alittle bit into computer programming some years
ago. Trying to teach myself and found it overwhelming. So I dont know
how the process is going to be in learning javascript. I'm not going to
be learning in a formal setting. I'm going to attempt to teach myself.

I wanted to know if there there was a online source with
instruction on learning javascript.

Rich

petermichaux

rich said:
I'd like to improve my webdesign knowledge and learn how to write
Javascripts. I have built my own website. I have javascripts on my site
that I havent written. I download them and edit them where I need to to
fit my site and then put them in.

I have dabbed alittle bit into computer programming some years
ago. Trying to teach myself and found it overwhelming. So I dont know
how the process is going to be in learning javascript. I'm not going to
be learning in a formal setting. I'm going to attempt to teach myself.

I wanted to know if there there was a online source with
instruction on learning javascript.

Hi Rich,

Here are some links I have found useful while learning JavaScript

Tutorial introductions. Just use them as introductions not as gospel.
The HTML tag reference is handy)
http://www.w3schools.com/

Always make sure your HTML and CSS validate. JavaScript is tough if the
HTML doesn't validate. I use DOCTYPE strict 4.01
http://validator.w3.org/
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

A JavaScript syntax checker that will help you find bugs in some cases
and follow some best practices (opinions)
http://www.jslint.com/

The book that seems to be regarded as the best/only JavaScript book
(buy this to get started!)
http://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-De...ef=sr_1_1/103-9979359-7003840?ie=UTF8&s=books
http://www.davidflanagan.com

This group and it's archives are the very best resource when stuck or
interested in reading about newer JavaScript techniques
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript

FAQ for this news group and many other great articles on this site
http://jibbering.com/faq/

Some people's personal websites
http://www.litotes.demon.co.uk/
http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/
http://www.quirksmode.org/ (some good stuff but some wierd stuff)

Although simulated class-based inheritance is not always the best thing
to do in JavaScript, this is definitely the best link I have every
found about it. I've used it and it is great.
http://kevlindev.com/tutorials/javascript/inheritance/index.htm

Good luck,
Peter