    I wanted to know if there there was a online source with
    instruction on learning javascript.

    Rich

    rich, Sep 7, 2006

  2. rich

    Guest

    rich wrote:
    > I'd like to improve my webdesign knowledge and learn how to write
    > Javascripts. I have built my own website. I have javascripts on my site
    > that I havent written. I download them and edit them where I need to to
    > fit my site and then put them in.
    >
    > I have dabbed alittle bit into computer programming some years
    > ago. Trying to teach myself and found it overwhelming. So I dont know
    > how the process is going to be in learning javascript. I'm not going to
    > be learning in a formal setting. I'm going to attempt to teach myself.
    >
    > I wanted to know if there there was a online source with
    > instruction on learning javascript.

    Hi Rich,

    Here are some links I have found useful while learning JavaScript

    Tutorial introductions. Just use them as introductions not as gospel.
    The HTML tag reference is handy)
    http://www.w3schools.com/

    Always make sure your HTML and CSS validate. JavaScript is tough if the
    HTML doesn't validate. I use DOCTYPE strict 4.01
    http://validator.w3.org/
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

    A JavaScript syntax checker that will help you find bugs in some cases
    and follow some best practices (opinions)
    http://www.jslint.com/

    The book that seems to be regarded as the best/only JavaScript book
    (buy this to get started!)
    http://www.amazon.com/JavaScript-De...ef=sr_1_1/103-9979359-7003840?ie=UTF8&s=books
    http://www.davidflanagan.com

    This group and it's archives are the very best resource when stuck or
    interested in reading about newer JavaScript techniques
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript

    FAQ for this news group and many other great articles on this site
    http://jibbering.com/faq/

    Some people's personal websites
    http://www.litotes.demon.co.uk/
    http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/
    http://www.quirksmode.org/ (some good stuff but some wierd stuff)

    Although simulated class-based inheritance is not always the best thing
    to do in JavaScript, this is definitely the best link I have every
    found about it. I've used it and it is great.
    http://kevlindev.com/tutorials/javascript/inheritance/index.htm

    Good luck,
    Peter

    , Sep 7, 2006