    things properly and gives problems to work, so that someone who puts
    in the time can really learn it. Or, the same for a book to buy.
    Thanks

    Michael Reach, Jun 5, 2008

  2. Michael Reach

    timothytoe Guest

    On Jun 5, 7:03 am, Michael Reach <> wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a really good course in Javascript that my son can
    > take online, starting right away? It should be for someone without
    > much programming experience, and I mean a real course, that covers
    > things properly and gives problems to work, so that someone who puts
    > in the time can really learn it. Or, the same for a book to buy.
    > Thanks

    In my estimation, there are no especially good books that teach
    programming with JavaScript as the language (a gaping hole someone
    should fill, given the importance of JavaScript). The best books for
    learning how to program are for other languages, Python, Ruby, Java,
    C, and C++, and maybe ActionScript. You can probably do as well with a
    Google search for tutorials as you can from the available beginners
    books, most of which teach JavaScript as if it were a limited version
    of C.

    The best JavaScript books are reference books. I do like Crockford's
    new book quite a bit (JavaScript: The Good Parts), but I don't know
    what a beginner would make of it.

    Most people seem to be learning JavaScript by looking at source code
    from existing web pages. The danger is that there's a lot of atrocious
    JavaScript code out there.

    He could learn another language first. It's pretty easy to pick up
    languages after you have the first one down. It's pretty easy to learn
    how to program ActionScript in Flash. That's a valuable skill, and
    it's very easy to go back and forth between ActionScript and
    JavaScript, as they are closely related languages.

    I have never, ever met someone who has learned JavaScript from a
    course. I don't know of any good JavaScript teachers.

    timothytoe, Jun 5, 2008

  3. Thanks for your advice; this was kind of my impression too. It's too
    bad, though, because JS would be very easy for a beginner to begin to
    use: Learn HTML, learn Javascript, and you can make your web page do
    things.

    Michael Reach, Jun 5, 2008
  4. Michael Reach

    Evertjan. Guest

    Michael Reach wrote on 05 jun 2008 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > Thanks for your advice; this was kind of my impression too. It's too
    > bad, though, because JS would be very easy for a beginner to begin to
    > use: Learn HTML, learn Javascript, and you can make your web page do
    > things.

    [please always quote on usenet]

    Javascript on a webpage, however, is not just Javascript, but also html
    elements, multiple incompatible brouwser interpreters, css styles,
    timing, regular expressions, browser interactivity [AJAX], etc.

    That is more than just a language, and gives chalenge and fun.

    Trial and error, debugging, and help from this NG
    can complement the necessary inborn logical mind.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jun 5, 2008
  5. On 5 Jun, 15:03, Michael Reach <> wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a really good course in Javascript that my son can
    > take online, starting right away? It should be for someone without
    > much programming experience, and I mean a real course, that covers
    > things properly and gives problems to work, so that someone who puts
    > in the time can really learn it. Or, the same for a book to buy.
    > Thanks

    These are fairly good:

    http://video.yahoo.com/watch/111593/1710507

    Captain Paralytic, Jun 5, 2008
  6. On Jun 5, 11:32 am, Captain Paralytic <> wrote:
    > On 5 Jun, 15:03, Michael Reach <> wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone suggest a really good course in Javascript that my son can
    > > take online, starting right away? It should be for someone without
    > > much programming experience, and I mean a real course, that covers
    > > things properly and gives problems to work, so that someone who puts
    > > in the time can really learn it. Or, the same for a book to buy.
    > > Thanks

    > These are fairly good:
    >
    > http://video.yahoo.com/watch/111593/1710507

    Crockford's videos are *wonderful*; I learned a lot from them. But my
    son needs something that also takes on the job of teaching programming
    concepts at the same time.

    Michael Reach, Jun 5, 2008
  7. On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 07:03:38 -0700, Michael Reach wrote:

    > Can anyone suggest a really good course in Javascript that my son can
    > take online, starting right away? It should be for someone without much
    > programming experience, and I mean a real course, that covers things
    > properly and gives problems to work, so that someone who puts in the
    > time can really learn it. Or, the same for a book to buy. Thanks

    As stated before, most folks learn from examples on the net.

    Sturgeon's law tells us that "90% of everything is crap." Alas, when it
    comes to Javascript tutorials and examples I tend to think he was an
    optimist.

    I put together a page to try to help other folks learning to avoid the
    pitfalls I did but helping them avoid the worst of the stuff out there
    and then the folks here on c.l.j spent hours and hundreds of posts
    helping me get it right.

    Hope it helps.

    Jeremy J Starcher, Jun 5, 2008
  8. Michael Reach

    Galaxy Guest

    On Jun 5, 10:56 am, Jeremy J Starcher <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 07:03:38 -0700, Michael Reach wrote:
    > > Can anyone suggest a really good course in Javascript that my son can
    > > take online, starting right away? It should be for someone without much
    > > programming experience, and I mean a real course, that covers things
    > > properly and gives problems to work, so that someone who puts in the
    > > time can really learn it. Or, the same for a book to buy. Thanks

    > As stated before, most folks learn from examples on the net.

    That's and by experimenting.

    > Sturgeon's law tells us that "90% of everything is crap." Alas, when it
    > comes to Javascript tutorials and examples I tend to think he was an
    > optimist.

    That would seem to imply that an apt pupil might unknowingly teach
    himself anothers' shoddy coding approach without knowing better.

    I think that the libraries have done harm, in this regard, encouraging
    users to take advantage of a layer of abstraction that needlessly
    overcomplicates and slows down both the program and the user's
    understanding of how to solve the problem at hand.

    Experimenting and building things is probably more fun than trying to
    go about learning EcmaScript syntax first. Good syntax can be learned
    by examples of well-written code. Bad syntax can be identified by
    observing code reviews that provide explanation of the problems.
    Explanations of the code practices can be learned in the process, by
    example e.g. here's how to build an [x] and here's why we did it this
    way. Good references are invaluable these include:
    w3c:
    DOM: http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-DOM-Level-2-HTML-20030109/
    Events: http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Events/
    CSS: http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/
    HTML: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/
    MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533050(VS.85).aspx
    http://developer.mozilla.com.

    Amd of course, the HTML and CSS Validators
    http://validator.w3.org
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

    And Finally, the Ecma 262 spec. I don't like PDF, so I use Bob Clary's
    HTML edition:
    http://bclary.com/2004/11/07/

    Tools:
    Firebug: http://getfirebug.com/
    MS Script Editor: (comes with Word; I cant find free one now --
    anyone?)
    MS Visual Studio Express (slow)
    Web Developer Toolbar (Firefox Extension)
    Webkit/Drosera

    I also think that the mental approach and attitude: "What is the best
    way to do this?" - and having the discipline to follow through with
    that is very important.

    My .02 on learning JavaScript.

    Garrett

    Galaxy, Jun 6, 2008
  9. Michael Reach

    Logos Guest

    On Jun 5, 7:03 am, Michael Reach <> wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a really good course in Javascript that my son can
    > take online, starting right away? It should be for someone without
    > much programming experience, and I mean a real course, that covers
    > things properly and gives problems to work, so that someone who puts
    > in the time can really learn it. Or, the same for a book to buy.
    > Thanks

    I hate to say it, but the other posters are likely correct. I've
    never seen a DHTML course, anywhere. You might check out your local
    college on web design courses, but I'd be surprised if they covered it
    much, much less treat it as a real computing science course would.

    I tried to find such courses as well, for a workmate, but failed :
    ( And I learned the same way everyone else did - just started coding,
    and googled for examples on the web, and bought a reference book (I
    really like O'Reilly's DHTML reference).

    Tyler

    Logos, Jun 6, 2008
  10. This might get some groans from this group, but I learned a lot from
    DOM Scripting by Jeremy Keith. It covers very basic concepts,
    encourages feature testing and onubtrusive javascript, and has some
    pretty useful examples for beginners. If he's hungry for more after
    that, I suggest the Javascript reference from O'Reilly. With that he
    can get a better understanding of core javascript, and also get a lot
    of useful info and re-usable utility code from the section that covers
    client-side scripting.

    todd.levinson, Jun 6, 2008
  11. In comp.lang.javascript message <fNV1k.3533$
    >, Thu, 5 Jun 2008 17:56:27, Jeremy J Starcher <> posted:

    <FAQENTRY>

    --
    (c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt> RAH Prins : c.l.p.b mFAQ;