Learning more about "The Python Way"

Kalle Anke

Those who have read my posts today have probably understood that I'm
not a "true" Python programmer ... but I want to learn more (I think
that Python is rather fun).

I've read "Learning Python" pretty thoroughly, I've looked at some of
the tutorials, some of online documentation, etc. But I still miss a
lot of pieces for writing good python code, idioms, advanced
usage/features, etc.

I've also seen a lot of references to v3, but I haven't found any
real documentation of what's planned for that version.

So, I'm looking for advice/information on:

+ How to write "proper" python code instead of
Java/Perl/C/C++/Pascal/Modula-2/etc inspired code

+ The more advanced parts/uses of Python

+ Discussions about the ideas behind different Python
constructs

+ What's going to happen with v3

I would really appriciate some pointers to where I can find info
about this. Web sites (I've looked at python.org but haven't manage
to find the stuff of what I'm looking for ... but perhaps I've missed
all the interesting parts) ? Books (I've got 'Learning Python' and
'Programming Python')? Other things?

jem

Jarek Zgoda

Kalle Anke napisa³(a):
So, I'm looking for advice/information on:

+ How to write "proper" python code instead of
Java/Perl/C/C++/Pascal/Modula-2/etc inspired code

Just follow the white rabbit.

Rewrite your code in Python, then optimize.

Claudio Grondi

Just follow the white rabbit.
This triggers in me the temptation to start
a thread asking:

What (in your opinion) can a good programmer
learn from watching all of the Matrix movies?
Which part, one, two or three deals most with
the philosophy of programming?

Claudio

George Sakkis

Kalle Anke said:
[snipped]

So, I'm looking for advice/information on:

+ How to write "proper" python code instead of
Java/Perl/C/C++/Pascal/Modula-2/etc inspired code

+ The more advanced parts/uses of Python

+ Discussions about the ideas behind different Python
constructs

For all these, do yourself a favor and buy/borrow/steal a copy of the
python cookbook, 2nd edition. You'll get over 300 recipes, ranging from
simple one-liners to full working programs, packed with pythonic idioms
and extensive discussion for every single recipe.
+ What's going to happen with v3

Google is your friend; search for "python 3000" (interestingly,
searching for "python 3" returns something completely different :)).

George

Christopher Subich

Claudio said:

> This triggers in me the temptation to start
> a thread asking:
>
> What (in your opinion) can a good programmer
> learn from watching all of the Matrix movies?
> Which part, one, two or three deals most with
> the philosophy of programming?

IMO, in my opinion almost certainly the first.

The first can be summed up in the words, "free your mind." From my very
limited experience, that captures 90% of the Zen right there.

The second... uh... "dancing rave orgies are fun?" Doesn't quite work.

The third is entirely inappropriate, since it's rather hard to program
in Python after one has gouged one's eyes out with a rusty spoon.

TechBookReport

Kalle said:
[...]

latest edition of the Python Cookbook (read a review here
http://www.techbookreport.com/tbr0163.html). Also online at ActiveState.