    I see at w3schools it says i should learn jaascript first. Why would
    that be?

    Tim W

    Tim W, Jul 5, 2012

  2. Tim W

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <jt4e6r$sbq$>,
    Tim W <> wrote:

    > I am beginning to feel I have pretty much learned html and css now, at
    > least in the sense that I am getting very diminished returns from any
    > kind of tutorial and just using the reference manual now. Probably just
    > a question of practice and experience from now on.
    >
    > I would like to become if not proficient in then at least familiar with
    > the basics of PHP with a view to doing some more work with CMS based sites.
    >
    > Any recommendations for good books or tutorials?
    >
    > I see at w3schools it says i should learn jaascript first. Why would
    > that be?

    Prolly because in any sort of interesting application, you'll need both
    PHP and JavaScript.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Jul 5, 2012

  3. Tim W

    Lewis Guest

    In message <jt4e6r$sbq$>
    Tim W <> wrote:
    > Any recommendations for good books or tutorials?

    O'Reilly.

    > I see at w3schools it says i should learn jaascript first. Why would
    > that be?

    w3schools is a shitpile and should be avoided at all costs.

    --
    Hudd: 'I've just done this radio show where I never met any of the other
    actors and I didn't understand what any of it was about' Moore: 'Ah, yes

    Lewis, Jul 5, 2012
  4. Tim W

    TK Guest

    On 7/5/2012 11:09 AM, Tim W wrote:

    > I would like to become if not proficient in then at least familiar with
    > the basics of PHP with a view to doing some more work with CMS based sites.
    >
    > Any recommendations for good books or tutorials?

    "PHP 5 and MySQL Bible" is very good and when/if you get bored with it,
    it is great for pressing flowers. Used at Amazon very cheap.

    --
    TK ~ aka Terry Kimpling
    http://wejuggle2.com/video.php

    TK, Jul 5, 2012
  5. Tim W

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Jul 5, 11:09 am, Tim W <> wrote:
    > I am beginning to feel I have pretty much learned html and css now, at
    > least in the sense that I am getting very diminished returns from any
    > kind of tutorial and just using the reference manual now. Probably just
    > a question of practice and experience from now on.
    >
    > I would like to become if not proficient in then at least familiar with
    > the basics of PHP with a view to doing some more work with CMS based sites.
    >
    > Any recommendations for good books or tutorials?
    >
    > I see at w3schools it says i should learn jaascript first. Why would
    > that be?

    You might also check at comp.lang.php . That group is not as active as
    it once was, but I just checked and at least many of the posts now are
    on topic. Both php and Javascript often can do about the same things.
    The big difference is that Javascript usually operates on your
    computer, while php usually operates on your server. You thus need to
    have use of a server that has a fairly recent version of php installed
    on it. Web hosts can differ considerably on what type of php support
    they will provide. The codes for Javascript and php have much in
    common, and this can get you into trouble at first if you write both
    Javascript and php.

    cwdjrxyz, Jul 6, 2012