learning perl and cgi

Discussion in 'Perl' started by timh, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. timh

    timh Guest

    Hello group,

    I'm interested in starting to learn Perl and CGI. I'm not having any
    problems with that. However, setting everything up is not clear to me.

    What should I do to run my CGI scripts on my computer, with my browser. I
    need to be able to run these CGI scripts on my own browser, so I can test
    what I'm doing. I'm not interested in getting and account yet, I just want
    to run it on my machine. Is there a way to do this, or buying an account is
    mandatory?

    Also, am I required to install Unix? (I use XP right now)

    I actually have zillions of questions but I'll read and find out. Could
    anyone just give me a few ideas on how all this works? I've always been a
    windows user so I'm a bit confused.
    Any help is appreciated.

    thanks in advance,
    tim
    timh, Dec 16, 2003

  2. timh

    WinickWatch Guest

    You can use Sambar Server on XP which works great with CGI and Perl.

    You put your scripts in the /docs/ or /docs/cgi-bin directory and then view
    them via http://127.0.0.1/script.pl

    This goes to your local machine.

    WinickWatch, Dec 16, 2003

  3. timh

    MM Guest

    timh wrote:
    > Hello group,
    >
    > I'm interested in starting to learn Perl and CGI. I'm not having any
    > problems with that. However, setting everything up is not clear to me.
    >
    > What should I do to run my CGI scripts on my computer, with my browser. I
    > need to be able to run these CGI scripts on my own browser, so I can test
    > what I'm doing. I'm not interested in getting and account yet, I just want
    > to run it on my machine. Is there a way to do this, or buying an account is
    > mandatory?
    >
    > Also, am I required to install Unix? (I use XP right now)
    >
    > I actually have zillions of questions but I'll read and find out. Could
    > anyone just give me a few ideas on how all this works? I've always been a
    > windows user so I'm a bit confused.
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > thanks in advance,
    > tim

    You can also look into Indigo Perl, which is a Win32 package that
    contains Perl, most of the WWW/CGI-releated Perl Modules, and an Apache
    Web Server. I've used it before and it works well enough. Long term, I
    would go with a Unix/Linux system where you have more options, most
    notibly PHP.

    MM
    MM, Dec 17, 2003
  4. MM wrote:
    > timh wrote:
    >> I'm interested in starting to learn Perl and CGI. I'm not having
    >> any problems with that. However, setting everything up is not
    >> clear to me.
    >>
    >> What should I do to run my CGI scripts on my computer, with my
    >> browser. I need to be able to run these CGI scripts on my own
    >> browser, so I can test what I'm doing. I'm not interested in
    >> getting and account yet, I just want to run it on my machine. Is
    >> there a way to do this, or buying an account is mandatory?
    >>
    >> Also, am I required to install Unix? (I use XP right now)

    > You can also look into Indigo Perl, which is a Win32 package that
    > contains Perl, most of the WWW/CGI-releated Perl Modules, and an
    > Apache Web Server. I've used it before and it works well enough.

    I'm using it now, and do recommend it. Works well and *very* easy to
    set up.

    http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm

    > Long term, I would go with a Unix/Linux system where you have more
    > options, most notibly PHP.

    The latest IndigoPerl build comes with PHP as well. That's not a
    reason to leave Windows.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Dec 17, 2003
  5. timh

    Hugh Lutley Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 02:12:24 +0000, Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > timh wrote:
    >> Also, am I required to install Unix? (I use XP right now)

    > For Perl? No. For your sanity and coolness? Yes.

    Exactly! You aren't required to install Unix of any flavour but if
    you're getting stuck into Perl and scripting then dipping into a
    non Bill Gates powered pc isn't a bad thing.

    Why dont you try Linux out? You don't even have to actually install
    it onto your harddrive. Download Knoppix Linux, burn it onto a cd
    and boot it from your cdrom. The whole thing runs in RAM.

    To compliment my windows installation I use Mandrake Linux. It is
    very easy to use, very graphical too so the wife has no problem
    getting into her hotmail account. I've also got Slackware Linux on my
    laptop running command line only just for fun....

    Try it out,,

    --
    /* Hugh Lutley aKa Spewy
    * This message was created on either
    Hugh Lutley, Dec 18, 2003
  6. timh

    knightpoet Guest

    You could also get Apache webserver for WIN32 systems. Personally, I love
    Apache as a webserver and the documentation is great.
    http://www.apache.org

    ActiveState has a distribution of perl that is complete and is fully
    documented. It's perhaps the most popular Windows distribution of Perl out
    there. There are many modules available for ActivePerl, including CGI.pm.
    http://www.activestate.com
    Iif the documentation isn't enough for either of these, the user community
    will definitely help.

    knightpoet, Dec 19, 2003

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 19, 2003