learning perl and cgi

timh

Hello group,

I'm interested in starting to learn Perl and CGI. I'm not having any
problems with that. However, setting everything up is not clear to me.

What should I do to run my CGI scripts on my computer, with my browser. I
need to be able to run these CGI scripts on my own browser, so I can test
what I'm doing. I'm not interested in getting and account yet, I just want
to run it on my machine. Is there a way to do this, or buying an account is
mandatory?

Also, am I required to install Unix? (I use XP right now)

I actually have zillions of questions but I'll read and find out. Could
anyone just give me a few ideas on how all this works? I've always been a
windows user so I'm a bit confused.
Any help is appreciated.

thanks in advance,
tim

WinickWatch

You can use Sambar Server on XP which works great with CGI and Perl.

You put your scripts in the /docs/ or /docs/cgi-bin directory and then view
them via http://127.0.0.1/script.pl

This goes to your local machine.

MM

timh said:
Hello group,

I'm interested in starting to learn Perl and CGI. I'm not having any
problems with that. However, setting everything up is not clear to me.

What should I do to run my CGI scripts on my computer, with my browser. I
need to be able to run these CGI scripts on my own browser, so I can test
what I'm doing. I'm not interested in getting and account yet, I just want
to run it on my machine. Is there a way to do this, or buying an account is
mandatory?

Also, am I required to install Unix? (I use XP right now)

I actually have zillions of questions but I'll read and find out. Could
anyone just give me a few ideas on how all this works? I've always been a
windows user so I'm a bit confused.
Any help is appreciated.

thanks in advance,
tim

You can also look into Indigo Perl, which is a Win32 package that
contains Perl, most of the WWW/CGI-releated Perl Modules, and an Apache
Web Server. I've used it before and it works well enough. Long term, I
would go with a Unix/Linux system where you have more options, most
notibly PHP.

MM

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

MM said:
You can also look into Indigo Perl, which is a Win32 package that
contains Perl, most of the WWW/CGI-releated Perl Modules, and an
Apache Web Server. I've used it before and it works well enough.

I'm using it now, and do recommend it. Works well and *very* easy to
set up.

http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm
Long term, I would go with a Unix/Linux system where you have more
options, most notibly PHP.

The latest IndigoPerl build comes with PHP as well. That's not a
reason to leave Windows.

Hugh Lutley

For Perl? No. For your sanity and coolness? Yes.

Exactly! You aren't required to install Unix of any flavour but if
you're getting stuck into Perl and scripting then dipping into a
non Bill Gates powered pc isn't a bad thing.

Why dont you try Linux out? You don't even have to actually install
it onto your harddrive. Download Knoppix Linux, burn it onto a cd
and boot it from your cdrom. The whole thing runs in RAM.

To compliment my windows installation I use Mandrake Linux. It is
very easy to use, very graphical too so the wife has no problem
getting into her hotmail account. I've also got Slackware Linux on my
laptop running command line only just for fun....

Try it out,,

--
/* Hugh Lutley aKa Spewy
* This message was created on either

knightpoet

You could also get Apache webserver for WIN32 systems. Personally, I love
Apache as a webserver and the documentation is great.
http://www.apache.org

ActiveState has a distribution of perl that is complete and is fully
documented. It's perhaps the most popular Windows distribution of Perl out
there. There are many modules available for ActivePerl, including CGI.pm.
http://www.activestate.com
Iif the documentation isn't enough for either of these, the user community
will definitely help.