    Thanks,
    Pani.

    , Nov 10, 2005

  2. John Bokma Guest

    wrote:

    > Hello Guys,
    >
    > I am sure 90% of you all are quite familiar with PERL,

    No, but I am with Perl, and perl (which neither are an acronym).

    > atleast the
    > basics. I am a new user. I actually work for an SCM product company. I
    > need to learn PERL. Can someone help me with how to start off. FYI, I
    > have installed CYGWIN on my computer. Any help on this is appreciated.

    install perl under cygwin, and check out perldoc :) Oh, and there are Perl
    ports for Windows, I use ActiveState Perl most of the time.

    I ploink googlegroups.com :)

    John Bokma, Nov 10, 2005

  3. Tom Regner Guest

    Hello Pani,

    wrote:

    seconding the correction of John Bokma on the case-sensitivity of
    perl/Perl :)

    > Can someone help me with how to start off. FYI, I
    > have installed CYGWIN on my computer. Any help on this is appreciated.

    Taking it for granted, that you are proficient in at least one programming
    language, I recommend to make room in your bookshelf and buy some O'reilly
    books[0] (Learning Perl, Learning Perl Objects References and Modules and
    Mastering Regular Expressions to name a few to get started). If you are not
    adverse to read on screen, the Perl CD Bookshelf[1] promises good value for
    your money.

    I your know well, what you need, perldoc maybe enough to get you started,
    though the information may be overwhelming.

    A good source for examples of code-snippets to get a feeling for the
    language is available at perlmonks[2], which is also an excellent place to
    ask for advice on specific problems that may arise - lurk there a while, to
    get a feeling for the place, it's worth it.

    kind regards,
    Tom

    [0] http://perl.oreilly.com/
    [1] http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlcdbs4/
    [2] http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=Cool Uses for Perl
    http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=Code Catacombs
    http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=Snippets Section

    --
    Dievision GmbH | Kriegerstrasse 44 | 30161 Hannover
    Telefon: (0511) 288791-0 | Telefax: (0511) 288791-99

    Tom Regner, Nov 10, 2005

    Thanks Tom. Your help is very much appreicated. Thanks again. I will go
    forward doing as you have said.

    , Nov 11, 2005

    Thanks John.....your help is appreciated.

    , Nov 11, 2005
  6. John Bokma Guest

    wrote:

    > Thanks John.....your help is appreciated.

    I guess you mean me:
    <http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=14213>

    Please read it, and use it.

    I ploink googlegroups.com :)