Learning PERL

panidhar.revanur

Hello Guys,

I am sure 90% of you all are quite familiar with PERL, atleast the
basics. I am a new user. I actually work for an SCM product company. I
need to learn PERL. Can someone help me with how to start off. FYI, I
have installed CYGWIN on my computer. Any help on this is appreciated.

Thanks,
Pani.

John Bokma

Hello Guys,

I am sure 90% of you all are quite familiar with PERL,

No, but I am with Perl, and perl (which neither are an acronym).
atleast the
basics. I am a new user. I actually work for an SCM product company. I
need to learn PERL. Can someone help me with how to start off. FYI, I
have installed CYGWIN on my computer. Any help on this is appreciated.

install perl under cygwin, and check out perldoc :) Oh, and there are Perl
ports for Windows, I use ActiveState Perl most of the time.

Tom Regner

Hello Pani,

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

seconding the correction of John Bokma on the case-sensitivity of
perl/Perl :)
Can someone help me with how to start off. FYI, I
have installed CYGWIN on my computer. Any help on this is appreciated.

Taking it for granted, that you are proficient in at least one programming
language, I recommend to make room in your bookshelf and buy some O'reilly
books[0] (Learning Perl, Learning Perl Objects References and Modules and
Mastering Regular Expressions to name a few to get started). If you are not
adverse to read on screen, the Perl CD Bookshelf[1] promises good value for
your money.

I your know well, what you need, perldoc maybe enough to get you started,
though the information may be overwhelming.

A good source for examples of code-snippets to get a feeling for the
language is available at perlmonks[2], which is also an excellent place to
ask for advice on specific problems that may arise - lurk there a while, to
get a feeling for the place, it's worth it.

kind regards,
Tom

[0] http://perl.oreilly.com/
[1] http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlcdbs4/
[2] http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=Cool Uses for Perl
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=Code Catacombs
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node=Snippets Section

panidhar.revanur

Thanks Tom. Your help is very much appreicated. Thanks again. I will go
forward doing as you have said.