learning php

time waster

Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't explain
what else you can do with it.
Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used by php.
What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print "hello
world" or a name to the screen.

thank you all very much.

informant

time waster said:
Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't explain
what else you can do with it.
Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used by php.
What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print "hello
world" or a name to the screen.

thank you all very much.

You might try pinging "Richard" Bullis. He seems to know everything.

From: time waster <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.html,alt.php
Subject: learning php
Date: 13 Nov 2003 19:23:08 -0800

Alex Cain

informant said:
by

You might try pinging "Richard" Bullis. He seems to know everything.

How many fucking socks does Bullis HAVE now? Geezus.

From: time waster <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.html,alt.php
Date: 13 Nov 2003 19:23:08 -0800

informant

Alex Cain said:
How many fucking socks does Bullis HAVE now? Geezus.

I have no idea. I lost count after the first 50 or so. I'm surprised he
didn't sock up in misc.legal to find out if Supernews can tell him to ****
right off with his lawsuit threats.
sn-us!sn-xit-01!sn-xit-08!supernews.com!newsfeed.news2me.com!arclight.uoregon.edu!hammer.uoregon.edu!logbridge.uoregon.edu!pln-w!spln!dex!extra.newsguy.
com!newsp.newsguy.com!drn
From: time waster <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.html,alt.php
Date: 13 Nov 2003 19:23:08 -0800

nobody

time waster said:
Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't explain
what else you can do with it.
Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used by php.
What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print "hello
world" or a name to the screen.

thank you all very much.

http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp

Very good site. Has other languages etc too.

Default User

time said:
Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't explain
what else you can do with it.
Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used by php.
What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print "hello
world" or a name to the screen.

thank you all very much.

The best source is http://php.net

That has a full manual and many other resources, and is run by the crew
that invented the language.

Brian Rodenborn

Jamie Davison

I found that learning PHP is much easier to learn if you first ask yourself
"What do I need get done". PHP is a very broad and covers a lot of ground.
I started by passing variables from page to page to page and then learned
that I could do it much easier using session variables. I suppose this is
true for all programming languages really . . .

-JD

Tom Smith

I have been trying to learn PHP for months...and I am not geeting
anywhere...I am too frustrated. I am going back to ASP.

Tom

Tom said:
I have been trying to learn PHP for months...and I am not geeting
anywhere...I am too frustrated. I am going back to ASP.

Have you tried the resources at http://php.net ?

It seems hard to believe that anyone with any programming knowledge
could have that much trouble with PHP, especially after trying for
months. Of course, you could just be shilling for ASP, and haven't
actually tried PHP at all.

Brian Rodenborn

Eric Bohlman

Excellent! (I have seen this before in this group but forgot all about
it).

So we now get: http://tinyurl.com/v63j

It's a good idea, though, to *also* include the original URL when posting a
URL created by tinyurl or makeashorterlink. That way, if any of the link-
shortcut services cease operation, there will still be a possibly-working
URL to try.

George Pomar

time waster wrote:

Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't
explain
what else you can do with it.
Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used
by php.
What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print
"hello
world" or a name to the screen.
thank you all very much.

Really, you should buy a book or two - one basic, and one advanced. I
started with Julie Meloni's PHP Fast & Easy Web Development, then bought a
copy of PHP Advanced for the World Wide Web by Larry Ullman. Believe me
when I say that they'll give you plenty to work with.

Hope it helps! PHP is more than wonderful!

George

Article posted from PHP Freaks NewsGroup
http://www.phpfreaks.com/newsgroup
Get Addicted: alt.html,alt.ph

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

George said:
time waster wrote:

Really, you should buy a book or two - one basic, and one advanced. I
started with Julie Meloni's PHP Fast & Easy Web Development, then bought a
copy of PHP Advanced for the World Wide Web by Larry Ullman. Believe me
when I say that they'll give you plenty to work with.

Hope it helps! PHP is more than wonderful!

George

PHP In Easy Steps is a pretty good book for the basics