    What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print "hello
    world" or a name to the screen.

    thank you all very much.

    time waster, Nov 14, 2003

  2. time waster

    informant Guest

    "time waster" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
    > Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't

    explain
    > what else you can do with it.
    > Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used by

    php.
    > What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print "hello
    > world" or a name to the screen.
    >
    > thank you all very much.

    You might try pinging "Richard" Bullis. He seems to know everything.

    From: time waster <>
    Newsgroups: alt.html,alt.php
    Subject: learning php
    Date: 13 Nov 2003 19:23:08 -0800

    informant, Nov 14, 2003

  3. Michael Wilcox, Nov 14, 2003
  4. time waster

    Alex Cain Guest

    "informant" <> wrote in message

    > "time waster" <> wrote in message
    > > Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
    > > Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't

    > explain
    > > what else you can do with it.
    > > Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used

    by
    > php.
    > > What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print

    "hello
    > > world" or a name to the screen.
    > >
    > > thank you all very much.

    > You might try pinging "Richard" Bullis. He seems to know everything.

    How many fucking socks does Bullis HAVE now? Geezus.

    sn-us!sn-xit-01!sn-xit-08!supernews.com!newsfeed.news2me.com!arclight.uorego

    n.edu!hammer.uoregon.edu!logbridge.uoregon.edu!pln-w!spln!dex!extra.newsguy.

    Alex Cain, Nov 14, 2003
  5. time waster

    informant Guest

    "Alex Cain" <> wrote in message

    > "informant" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "time waster" <> wrote in message
    > > > Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
    > > > Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but

    don't
    > > explain
    > > > what else you can do with it.
    > > > Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used

    > by
    > > php.
    > > > What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print

    > "hello
    > > > world" or a name to the screen.
    > > >
    > > > thank you all very much.

    > > You might try pinging "Richard" Bullis. He seems to know everything.
    > >

    > How many fucking socks does Bullis HAVE now? Geezus.

    I have no idea. I lost count after the first 50 or so. I'm surprised he
    didn't sock up in misc.legal to find out if Supernews can tell him to ****
    right off with his lawsuit threats.

    informant, Nov 14, 2003
  6. time waster

    nobody Guest

    > Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
    > Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't

    explain
    > what else you can do with it.
    > Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used by

    php.
    > What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print "hello
    > world" or a name to the screen.
    >
    > thank you all very much.

    http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp

    Very good site. Has other languages etc too.

    nobody, Nov 14, 2003
  7. time waster

    Default User Guest

    time waster wrote:

    > Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
    > Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't explain
    > what else you can do with it.
    > Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used by php.
    > What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print "hello
    > world" or a name to the screen.
    >
    > thank you all very much.

    The best source is http://php.net

    That has a full manual and many other resources, and is run by the crew
    that invented the language.

    Brian Rodenborn

    Default User, Nov 14, 2003
  8. time waster

    warstar Guest

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:29:11 GMT, Default User
    <> wrote:

    >time waster wrote:
    >>
    >> Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
    >> Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't explain
    >> what else you can do with it.
    >> Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used by php.
    >> What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print "hello
    >> world" or a name to the screen.
    >>
    >> thank you all very much.

    >The best source is http://php.net
    >
    >That has a full manual and many other resources, and is run by the crew
    >that invented the language.
    >

    >Brian Rodenborn

    hotscripts.com is ok sometime's and of course google works fine

    warstar, Nov 14, 2003
  9. I found that learning PHP is much easier to learn if you first ask yourself
    "What do I need get done". PHP is a very broad and covers a lot of ground.
    I started by passing variables from page to page to page and then learned
    that I could do it much easier using session variables. I suppose this is
    true for all programming languages really . . .

    -JD

    Jamie Davison, Nov 14, 2003
  10. time waster

    Tom Smith Guest

    I have been trying to learn PHP for months...and I am not geeting
    anywhere...I am too frustrated. I am going back to ASP.

    Tom

    Tom Smith, Nov 15, 2003
  11. time waster

    Tom Smith wrote:

    > I have been trying to learn PHP for months...and I am not geeting
    > anywhere...I am too frustrated. I am going back to ASP.

    Have you tried the resources at http://php.net ?

    It seems hard to believe that anyone with any programming knowledge
    could have that much trouble with PHP, especially after trying for
    months. Of course, you could just be shilling for ASP, and haven't
    actually tried PHP at all.

    Brian Rodenborn

    Default User, Nov 15, 2003
  12. Robert Frost-Bridges, Nov 15, 2003

    http://tinyurl.com/
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Nov 16, 2003
  14. time waster

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    Robert Frost-Bridges <> wrote in

    > Michael Wilcox wrote:
    >
    >> http://tinyurl.com/

    > Excellent! (I have seen this before in this group but forgot all about
    > it).
    >
    > So we now get: http://tinyurl.com/v63j

    It's a good idea, though, to *also* include the original URL when posting a
    URL created by tinyurl or makeashorterlink. That way, if any of the link-
    shortcut services cease operation, there will still be a possibly-working
    URL to try.

    Eric Bohlman, Nov 16, 2003
  15. time waster

    Kevin Guest

    Kevin, Nov 18, 2003
  16. time waster

    George Pomar Guest

    time waster wrote:

    > Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
    > Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't
    > explain
    > what else you can do with it.
    > Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used
    > by php.
    > What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print
    > "hello
    > world" or a name to the screen.

    > thank you all very much.

    Really, you should buy a book or two - one basic, and one advanced. I
    started with Julie Meloni's PHP Fast & Easy Web Development, then bought a
    copy of PHP Advanced for the World Wide Web by Larry Ullman. Believe me
    when I say that they'll give you plenty to work with.

    Hope it helps! PHP is more than wonderful!

    George

    Article posted from PHP Freaks NewsGroup
    http://www.phpfreaks.com/newsgroup
    Get Addicted: alt.html,alt.ph

    George Pomar, Feb 17, 2004
  17. George Pomar wrote:

    > time waster wrote:
    >

    >>Where can I find a really really good tutorial for learning PHP?
    >>Most I've seen so far only touch on the basics of what php is but don't
    >>explain
    >>what else you can do with it.
    >>Like one site did have the 700 plus possible commands that can be used
    >>by php.
    >>What I want is a site that will explain more than just how to print
    >>"hello
    >>world" or a name to the screen.

    >>thank you all very much.

    > Really, you should buy a book or two - one basic, and one advanced. I
    > started with Julie Meloni's PHP Fast & Easy Web Development, then bought a
    > copy of PHP Advanced for the World Wide Web by Larry Ullman. Believe me
    > when I say that they'll give you plenty to work with.
    >
    > Hope it helps! PHP is more than wonderful!
    >
    > George

    PHP In Easy Steps is a pretty good book for the basics

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Feb 17, 2004