Learning Python book, new edition?

Demel, Jeff

Does anyone know if there's a plan in the works for a new edition of
Learning Python? The current edition (2nd) is a few years old and looks
like it only covers Python 2.3.

Anyone on the list have Lutz's ear?

-Jeff
This email is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This email may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any attachments by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this email to the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Any use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Bjoern Schliessmann

Does anyone know if there's a plan in the works for a new edition
of Learning Python? The current edition (2nd) is a few years old
and looks like it only covers Python 2.3.

IIRC, differences to 2.4 are in it, too.
This email is intended only for the individual or entity to which
it is addressed.

Mails are _by_definition_ intended only for the addressee. :)

Regards,

Björn

Kent Johnson

Bjoern said:
IIRC, differences to 2.4 are in it, too.

No, it is one version back from that. From the Preface to the second
edition: "This edition has been thoroughly updated to reflect Python
2.2...in addition, discussion of anticipated changes in the upcoming 2.3
release have been incorporated."

Kent

Daniel Klein

IIRC, differences to 2.4 are in it, too.

The only thing I see missing from it, from a 'learning' point of view,
is the new try/catch/finally construct.

Dan

Robert Hicks

I would get "Core Python Programming" by Wesley Chun. It covers just
about everything under the sun and includes version 2.5.

Robert

wesley chun

Robert said:
I would get "Core Python Programming" by Wesley Chun. It covers just
about everything under the sun and includes version 2.5.

Robert, thanks for the plug. if the OP wants to learn more about my
book and its philosophy, feel free to check out my comments on the
Amazon product page and/or the book's website at http://corepython.com
to see if it's right for you.

more on topic, here's a summary of Python books which are rev'd up to
2.5, categorized but not in any particular order:

Python learning:
- Python for Dummies, Maruch, Sep 2006
- Core Python Programming, Chun, Sep 2006

Python pure reference:
- Python Essential Reference, Beazley, Feb 2006
- Python in a Nutshell, Martelli, Jul 2006

Python case study reference:
- Programming Python, Lutz, Aug 2006

Enjoy!
-wesley

http://corepython.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
http://cyberwebconsulting.com

Aahz

more on topic, here's a summary of Python books which are rev'd up to
2.5, categorized but not in any particular order:

Python learning:
- Python for Dummies, Maruch, Sep 2006

That should be "Maruch & Maruch" -- my primary partner (Stef) did most of
the writing, but I supplied most of the Python knowledge. It was really
a joint effort, and I heartily recommend writing a book to anyone who
wants to test their marriage. ;-)