    Anyone on the list have Lutz's ear?

    -Jeff
    This email is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed. This email may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any attachments by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this email to the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete it from your system. Any use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

    Demel, Jeff, Jan 11, 2007

  2. Demel, Jeff wrote:

    > Does anyone know if there's a plan in the works for a new edition
    > of Learning Python? The current edition (2nd) is a few years old
    > and looks like it only covers Python 2.3.

    IIRC, differences to 2.4 are in it, too.

    > This email is intended only for the individual or entity to which
    > it is addressed.

    Mails are _by_definition_ intended only for the addressee. :)

    Regards,

    Björn

    --
    BOFH excuse #57:

    Groundskeepers stole the root password

    Bjoern Schliessmann, Jan 11, 2007

  3. Demel, Jeff

    Kent Johnson Guest

    Bjoern Schliessmann wrote:
    > Demel, Jeff wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know if there's a plan in the works for a new edition
    >> of Learning Python? The current edition (2nd) is a few years old
    >> and looks like it only covers Python 2.3.

    > IIRC, differences to 2.4 are in it, too.

    No, it is one version back from that. From the Preface to the second
    edition: "This edition has been thoroughly updated to reflect Python
    2.2...in addition, discussion of anticipated changes in the upcoming 2.3
    release have been incorporated."

    Kent

    Kent Johnson, Jan 11, 2007
  4. Demel, Jeff

    Daniel Klein Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:11:06 +0100, Bjoern Schliessmann
    <> wrote:

    >Demel, Jeff wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know if there's a plan in the works for a new edition
    >> of Learning Python? The current edition (2nd) is a few years old
    >> and looks like it only covers Python 2.3.

    >IIRC, differences to 2.4 are in it, too.

    The only thing I see missing from it, from a 'learning' point of view,
    is the new try/catch/finally construct.

    Dan

    Daniel Klein, Jan 11, 2007
  5. Demel, Jeff

    Robert Hicks Guest

    I would get "Core Python Programming" by Wesley Chun. It covers just
    about everything under the sun and includes version 2.5.

    Robert

    Robert Hicks, Jan 11, 2007
  6. Demel, Jeff

    wesley chun Guest

    Robert Hicks wrote:
    > I would get "Core Python Programming" by Wesley Chun. It covers just
    > about everything under the sun and includes version 2.5.

    Robert, thanks for the plug. if the OP wants to learn more about my
    book and its philosophy, feel free to check out my comments on the
    Amazon product page and/or the book's website at http://corepython.com
    to see if it's right for you.

    more on topic, here's a summary of Python books which are rev'd up to
    2.5, categorized but not in any particular order:

    Python learning:
    - Python for Dummies, Maruch, Sep 2006
    - Core Python Programming, Chun, Sep 2006

    Python pure reference:
    - Python Essential Reference, Beazley, Feb 2006
    - Python in a Nutshell, Martelli, Jul 2006

    Python case study reference:
    - Programming Python, Lutz, Aug 2006

    Enjoy!
    -wesley

    http://corepython.com

    wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
    http://cyberwebconsulting.com

    wesley chun, Jan 15, 2007
  7. Demel, Jeff

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    wesley chun <> wrote:

    >more on topic, here's a summary of Python books which are rev'd up to
    >2.5, categorized but not in any particular order:
    >
    >Python learning:
    >- Python for Dummies, Maruch, Sep 2006

    That should be "Maruch & Maruch" -- my primary partner (Stef) did most of
    the writing, but I supplied most of the Python knowledge. It was really
    a joint effort, and I heartily recommend writing a book to anyone who
    wants to test their marriage. ;-)
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose."

    Aahz, Jan 17, 2007