Learning Python in a group

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jonathan Roberts, Jun 22, 2008.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm looking to learn Python (as my first programming language) and I'm
    pretty sure I'd be more successful doing this with a group of other
    people.

    I've currently got one other person to learn with me, and we plan to
    work remotely over the net using tools such as IM/VoiP/Gobby/WIkis
    etc. We'd still like a few others to work with us, with a group of
    about 5 or 6 being seen as ideal. We'd also like to find somebody to
    act as a mentor/guide who might be happy to meet with us once every
    couple of weeks to help keep us moving in the right direction and find
    solutions to problems when we get really stuck!

    Wondered if there was anybody here who might be interested in working
    with us in either of these roles? We both have differing goals, but
    ultimately we'd just like to get more familiar so that we can provide
    some simple fixes to packages we maintain/scratch a few itches of our
    own. Any one is welcome, no matter what your own aim :)

    Would love to hear feedback, especially from anyone who's interested
    in working with us...

    Best,

    Jon

    Jonathan Roberts, Jun 22, 2008

  2. On Jun 22, 3:43 am, "Jonathan Roberts" <>
    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking to learn Python (as my first programming language) and I'm
    > pretty sure I'd be more successful doing this with a group of other
    > people.

    hi Jon, I'm in the same situation as you and think a co-op method of
    learning could be effective and fun. I found the Tutor list that David
    mentioned a little while ago but also have been looking for a group
    (without success so far). So count me in!

    best, George

    George Oliver, Jun 22, 2008

  3. Jonathan Roberts

    Guest

    I might be interested in joining your group. I'm trying to learn
    python, too, but tend to get frustrated by the isolation. can you
    send me, or post, some details?

    - O

    , Jun 22, 2008
  4. I would like to be a part of this if enough people are able to join
    up, I nabbed python less than two days ago, and have been trying to
    absorb as much as I can out of websites and practice projects.
    Learning this together would speed up the process slightly because we
    could share tips and such, all in all, I'm up for it.

    AngelinaCarmen, Jun 22, 2008
  5. Jonathan Roberts

    Satya Kiran Guest

    You can count me in too.I've been into python for sometime now.
    I agree that a collaborative learning makes it fun and helps you reach
    your goal faster.

    Satya Kiran, Jun 23, 2008
  6. Jonathan Roberts

    Mensanator Guest

    On Jun 22, 5:43�am, "Jonathan Roberts" <>
    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking to learn Python (as my first programming language) and I'm
    > pretty sure I'd be more successful doing this with a group of other
    > people.
    >
    > I've currently got one other person to learn with me, and we plan to
    > work remotely over the net using tools such as IM/VoiP/Gobby/WIkis
    > etc. We'd still like a few others to work with us, with a group of
    > about 5 or 6 being seen as ideal. We'd also like to find somebody to
    > act as a mentor/guide who might be happy to meet with us once every
    > couple of weeks to help keep us moving in the right direction and find
    > solutions to problems when we get really stuck!
    >
    > Wondered if there was anybody here who might be interested in working
    > with us in either of these roles? We both have differing goals, but
    > ultimately we'd just like to get more familiar so that we can provide
    > some simple fixes to packages we maintain/scratch a few itches of our
    > own. Any one is welcome, no matter what your own aim :)
    >
    > Would love to hear feedback, especially from anyone who's interested
    > in working with us...

    Have you considered creating your own Google Group?

    Mensanator, Jun 23, 2008
  7. Jonathan Roberts

    windstorm Guest

    On Jun 23, 1:12 pm, Mensanator <> wrote:
    > On Jun 22, 5:43�am, "Jonathan Roberts" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > Hi all,

    > > I'm looking to learn Python (as my first programming language) and I'm
    > > pretty sure I'd be more successful doing this with a group of other
    > > people.

    > > I've currently got one other person to learn with me, and we plan to
    > > work remotely over the net using tools such as IM/VoiP/Gobby/WIkis
    > > etc. We'd still like a few others to work with us, with a group of
    > > about 5 or 6 being seen as ideal. We'd also like to find somebody to
    > > act as a mentor/guide who might be happy to meet with us once every
    > > couple of weeks to help keep us moving in the right direction and find
    > > solutions to problems when we get really stuck!

    > > Wondered if there was anybody here who might be interested in working
    > > with us in either of these roles? We both have differing goals, but
    > > ultimately we'd just like to get more familiar so that we can provide
    > > some simple fixes to packages we maintain/scratch a few itches of our
    > > own. Any one is welcome, no matter what your own aim :)

    > > Would love to hear feedback, especially from anyone who's interested
    > > in working with us...

    > Have you considered creating your own Google Group?
    >

    > > Best,

    > > Jon

    Yeah, set up your personal Google group, post the address here and ask
    people who want to join in sounds like a better idea rather than
    asking here. Considering time-zone, I don't know how you guys
    communicate with each other "real-time". So "post in group, get
    discuss and reply" may make more sense.

    windstorm, Jun 23, 2008