    near me teach any courses on the topic. Thanks.

    --

    Cody Houston

    (Cody Houston), Feb 8, 2005

  2. (Cody Houston) said unto the world upon
    2005-02-08 05:06:
    > Hi. What is the best way to learn Python? None of the local schools
    > near me teach any courses on the topic. Thanks.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Cody Houston

    Hi Cody,

    rec.photo.equipment.35mm? -- kind of an odd follow-up for a post to
    com.lang.python.

    First thing is to learn to ask better questions. It is a bit hard for
    anyone to know what to say without knowing your background and level
    of experience with computers and programming.
    <http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html> contains a lot of
    very good advice on this.

    As for actual learning resources, did you look at www.python.org at
    all? (Or search the archives of this group?) The python site has a few
    pages of links that speak directly to your question.

    But, some concrete suggestions:

    The most useful resources for me (I'm still learning, too) was the
    Tutor list <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tutor>.

    A free book that starts very slow (it is aimed at high-school
    students) is <http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCSpy/>

    I started with that, until I had a bit of a sense of things (Python is
    my first language since some BASIC quite some time ago). The Learning
    Python helped a lot <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lpython2/>.

    Best,

    Brian vdB

    Brian van den Broek, Feb 8, 2005

  3. Regarding rec.photo.equipment.35mm... this is not his fault.
    Yesterday I tried posting to comp.lang.python and, for some strange
    reason, it was posted momentarily to this group.

    Regarding Cody's question:
    If you are an absolute newby, try Josh Cogliati's python tutorial for
    non-programmers (google this).
    I learned the basics with it.

    Then you can try any of the other resources listed in www.python.org.
    If you're willing to buy a book, try "Learning Python 2nd.Ed" by Mark
    Lutz or "Core Python" by Wesley Chun.

    Regards,
    Luis

    Luis M. Gonzalez, Feb 9, 2005