    Kindly suggest me a suitable editor (for Windows XP) which does not require
    me to be on online.
    Regards.
    JAG CHAN, Aug 26, 2006

  2. JAG CHAN

    vbgunz Guest

    JAG CHAN wrote:
    > Friends,
    > As I had written earlier, I am trying to learn Python.
    > I chose IDLE as an editor to learn Python.
    > Now I find that it is an online editor.
    > It is not possible for me to be always on online while learning.
    > Kindly suggest me a suitable editor (for Windows XP) which does not require
    > me to be on online.
    > Regards.

    IDLE is not an online editor. If you would like to try another I can
    suggest SciTE at http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTEDownload.html

    its a simple syntax editor with good support for Python.
    vbgunz, Aug 26, 2006

  3. JAG CHAN

    Guest

    JAG CHAN:
    > As I had written earlier, I am trying to learn Python.
    > I chose IDLE as an editor to learn Python.
    > Now I find that it is an online editor.
    > It is not possible for me to be always on online while learning.
    > Kindly suggest me a suitable editor (for Windows XP) which does not require
    > me to be on online.

    Maybe your firewall tells you that IDLE asks for access to the net, but
    it's not an online sofware. You can use a different editor, like SPE,
    or if you want to start with something simpler you can try
    ActivePython, or probably it's even better a normal and very fast txt
    editor with a python grammar for colorization, with a macro added to
    run the script being edited.

    Bye,
    bearophile
    , Aug 26, 2006
  4. JAG CHAN

    JAG CHAN Guest

    wrote in

    > JAG CHAN:
    >> As I had written earlier, I am trying to learn Python.
    >> I chose IDLE as an editor to learn Python.
    >> Now I find that it is an online editor.
    >> It is not possible for me to be always on online while learning.
    >> Kindly suggest me a suitable editor (for Windows XP) which does not
    >> require me to be on online.

    > Maybe your firewall tells you that IDLE asks for access to the net,
    > but it's not an online sofware. You can use a different editor, like
    > SPE, or if you want to start with something simpler you can try
    > ActivePython, or probably it's even better a normal and very fast txt
    > editor with a python grammar for colorization, with a macro added to
    > run the script being edited.
    >
    > Bye,
    > bearophile

    Thanks for your response.
    You are right.
    Whenever I try to open IDLE, my zone firewall tells me pythonw.exe is
    trying to access the trusted zone.
    Whenever I try to open new IDLE window I get the following message:
    "IDLE's subprocess didn't make connection.Either IDLE can't start a
    subprocess or personal firewall software is blocking the connection."
    I will be grateful if you kindly suggest a way out, then, I won't have to
    install another editor.
    Regards.
    JAG CHAN, Aug 26, 2006
  5. JAG CHAN

    Duncan Booth Guest

    JAG CHAN wrote:

    > Whenever I try to open IDLE, my zone firewall tells me pythonw.exe is
    > trying to access the trusted zone.
    > Whenever I try to open new IDLE window I get the following message:
    > "IDLE's subprocess didn't make connection.Either IDLE can't start a
    > subprocess or personal firewall software is blocking the connection."
    > I will be grateful if you kindly suggest a way out, then, I won't have
    > to install another editor.

    You need to configure your firewall to permit IDLE to make the connection.
    Most firewall software when it warns you will give you the option of
    permitting this:

    e.g. Windows Firewall says "To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall
    has blocked some features of this program. Do you want to keep blocking
    this program?" with options "Keep Blocking", "Unblock", and "Ask me later".
    All you have to do is click "Unblock" and IDLE will work.
    Duncan Booth, Aug 26, 2006
  6. JAG CHAN

    SuperHik Guest

    JAG CHAN wrote:
    > wrote in
    >
    >> JAG CHAN:
    >>> As I had written earlier, I am trying to learn Python.
    >>> I chose IDLE as an editor to learn Python.
    >>> Now I find that it is an online editor.
    >>> It is not possible for me to be always on online while learning.
    >>> Kindly suggest me a suitable editor (for Windows XP) which does not
    >>> require me to be on online.

    >> Maybe your firewall tells you that IDLE asks for access to the net,
    >> but it's not an online sofware. You can use a different editor, like
    >> SPE, or if you want to start with something simpler you can try
    >> ActivePython, or probably it's even better a normal and very fast txt
    >> editor with a python grammar for colorization, with a macro added to
    >> run the script being edited.
    >>
    >> Bye,
    >> bearophile
    >>

    > Thanks for your response.
    > You are right.
    > Whenever I try to open IDLE, my zone firewall tells me pythonw.exe is
    > trying to access the trusted zone.
    > Whenever I try to open new IDLE window I get the following message:
    > "IDLE's subprocess didn't make connection.Either IDLE can't start a
    > subprocess or personal firewall software is blocking the connection."
    > I will be grateful if you kindly suggest a way out, then, I won't have to
    > install another editor.
    > Regards.

    Python uses what windows call "internal loopback device" wich is
    monitored by the firewall. So yes, it's a firewall thing, not the editor
    and you would get the same message using any editor...
    I suggest AcitvePython - easy, free, and comes with all the windows
    specific modules and extensions...
    SuperHik, Aug 26, 2006
  7. JAG CHAN

    Tal Einat Guest

    Duncan Booth wrote:
    > JAG CHAN wrote:
    >
    > > Whenever I try to open IDLE, my zone firewall tells me pythonw.exe is
    > > trying to access the trusted zone.
    > > Whenever I try to open new IDLE window I get the following message:
    > > "IDLE's subprocess didn't make connection.Either IDLE can't start a
    > > subprocess or personal firewall software is blocking the connection."
    > > I will be grateful if you kindly suggest a way out, then, I won't have
    > > to install another editor.

    > You need to configure your firewall to permit IDLE to make the connection.
    > Most firewall software when it warns you will give you the option of
    > permitting this:
    >
    > e.g. Windows Firewall says "To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall
    > has blocked some features of this program. Do you want to keep blocking
    > this program?" with options "Keep Blocking", "Unblock", and "Ask me later".
    > All you have to do is click "Unblock" and IDLE will work.

    IDLE doesn't connect to the internet, but it uses a socket interface to
    communicate between two different processes. Some security software
    falsely recognizes this as an attempt to connect to the internet,
    although it is not a security hazard at all.

    Another solution is to run IDLE with the -n flag, which will cause it
    to run in one process (instead of two) and not create a socket. For the
    most part you will not notice a difference in IDLE's behavior when
    running it this way.

    On windows you can create a shortcut to idle.bat and add -n at the end
    of the "target" entry. When running IDLE with -n, you should see "====
    No Subprocess ====" on one of the first lines of the Shell window.

    You probably have your Windows security settings set quite high,
    usually I don't see this on Windows systems with default settings.

    - Tal
    reduce(lambda m,x:[m+s[-1] for i,s in enumerate(sorted(m))],
    [[chr(154-ord(c)) for c in '.&-&,l.Z95193+179-']]*18)[3]
    Tal Einat, Aug 27, 2006
  8. JAG CHAN

    Guest

    Tal Einat wrote:
    > Duncan Booth wrote:
    > > JAG CHAN wrote:
    > >
    > > > Whenever I try to open IDLE, my zone firewall tells me pythonw.exe is
    > > > trying to access the trusted zone.
    > > > Whenever I try to open new IDLE window I get the following message:
    > > > "IDLE's subprocess didn't make connection.Either IDLE can't start a
    > > > subprocess or personal firewall software is blocking the connection."
    > > > I will be grateful if you kindly suggest a way out, then, I won't have
    > > > to install another editor.

    > > You need to configure your firewall to permit IDLE to make the connection.
    > > Most firewall software when it warns you will give you the option of
    > > permitting this:
    > >
    > > e.g. Windows Firewall says "To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall
    > > has blocked some features of this program. Do you want to keep blocking
    > > this program?" with options "Keep Blocking", "Unblock", and "Ask me later".
    > > All you have to do is click "Unblock" and IDLE will work.

    > IDLE doesn't connect to the internet, but it uses a socket interface to
    > communicate between two different processes. Some security software
    > falsely recognizes this as an attempt to connect to the internet,
    > although it is not a security hazard at all.
    >

    > Another solution is to run IDLE with the -n flag, which will cause it
    > to run in one process (instead of two) and not create a socket. For the
    > most part you will not notice a difference in IDLE's behavior when
    > running it this way.
    >
    > On windows you can create a shortcut to idle.bat and add -n at the end
    > of the "target" entry. When running IDLE with -n, you should see "====
    > No Subprocess ====" on one of the first lines of the Shell window.
    >

    > You probably have your Windows security settings set quite high,
    > usually I don't see this on Windows systems with default settings.

    That's good to know (about the -n switch). On my computer
    at work, IDLE normally works ok, but if I'm running a complicated
    query on MS-Access (the kind that takes a half hour to complete)
    I can't run IDLE because of the socket problem.

    Why would that be? It's obviously not a security settings or
    firewall problem. Is the request for a socket timing out due
    to cpu load?

    > - Tal
    > reduce(lambda m,x:[m+s[-1] for i,s in enumerate(sorted(m))],
    > [[chr(154-ord(c)) for c in '.&-&,l.Z95193+179-']]*18)[3]
    , Aug 27, 2006