Learning Suggestions...

RWbrian

Okay, I'm sure that this is a favorite...

Can you suggest an online resource, compiler, ide for a run at
learning c++ on my own?

Is the MS Visual c++ a bad idea?

I'm aware of good reasons not to use MS tools with other learning
endeavors- do they apply here too?

How about using linux os and tools in that?

Any thoughts on www.learncpp.com/ ?

95969ish

Ian Collins

Okay, I'm sure that this is a favorite...

Can you suggest an online resource, compiler, ide for a run at
learning c++ on my own?

You can't beat a good book or two. Accelerated C++ combined with The
C++ Programming Language is a winning combination.
Is the MS Visual c++ a bad idea?

It is if you don't run Windows!
I'm aware of good reasons not to use MS tools with other learning
endeavors- do they apply here too?

That depends on your requirements.
How about using linux os and tools in that?

Or any other Unix or Unix like operating system. Don't try and learn
too much at once, if you are learning a language, stick with the
platform you already know.

None!

Öö Tiib

Okay, I'm sure that this is a favorite...

Can you suggest an online resource, compiler, ide for a run at
learning c++ on my own?

Perhaps read http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/
There are newbie section somewhere.
Is the MS Visual c++ a bad idea?

I'm aware of good reasons not to use MS tools with other learning
endeavors- do they apply here too?

How about using linux os and tools in that?

You may (and should) try various IDE-s.

Did quick browse around there. It did not impress. Buy a good book
about C++, and if possible then several books.