    to get started in the process of learning how to program.
    TIA,
    Rich
    Rich, Aug 27, 2003

  2. Rich

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Rich wrote:

    > I downloaded the beginner package from the "Python" site, and would
    > like to know my next move.
    >
    > Should I wade through the site, or are there some exorcises I can do
    > to get started in the process of learning how to program.

    First thing you can do is stop posting the question and wait for
    the answers. Three times is more than enough...

    Of course, most likely you aren't seeing any of the replies, in which
    case you won't get this one either, and since you didn't include your
    real mail address, we're stuck! :)

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Aug 27, 2003

  3. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:42:06 -0400, Peter Hansen <>
    wrote:

    >Rich wrote:
    >>
    >> I downloaded the beginner package from the "Python" site, and would
    >> like to know my next move.
    >>
    >> Should I wade through the site, or are there some exorcises I can do
    >> to get started in the process of learning how to program.

    >First thing you can do is stop posting the question and wait for
    >the answers. Three times is more than enough...

    This is the only post I am able to see, sorry about re posting. I
    thought if I changed the subject heading I might be able to see the
    post.

    >Of course, most likely you aren't seeing any of the replies, in which
    >case you won't get this one either, and since you didn't include your
    >real mail address, we're stuck! :)

    I mugged my e-mail to block spam. Here is my e-mail

    Rich

    Rich, Aug 27, 2003
  4. Rich

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Rich wrote:

    > This is the only post I am able to see, sorry about re posting. I
    > thought if I changed the subject heading I might be able to see the
    > post.

    You should be able to see the replies that you missed via Google Groups,
    as soon as they are indexed and on the web:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=comp.lang.python

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Aug 27, 2003
  5. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Thanks

    Rich, Aug 27, 2003
  6. Rich

    Rich Guest

    wrote:

    >Rich wrote:
    >>
    >> This is the only post I am able to see, sorry about re posting. I
    >> thought if I changed the subject heading I might be able to see the
    >> post.

    >You should be able to see the replies that you missed via Google Groups,
    >as soon as they are indexed and on the web:

    How long does it usually take to post on Google?

    Rich, Aug 27, 2003
  7. Rich

    Rich Guest

    I am going through one of the tutorials on the Python site and have
    ran into a problem.

    During the tutorial it talked about TCI, and gave some commands to do.
    I went to the site and downloaded TCI. but was unable to do any of
    the tasks.

    I think my question is, when the tutorial say the Dos prompt, do I use
    my Dos prompt in windows, or the Dos prompt in the Python program?

    I am using the Tutorial by Alan Gauld, and I am at the bottom of
    simple sequences (left side of page).

    Rich, Aug 28, 2003
  8. Rich

    Rich Guest

    I put this post in the wrong place first, that is why it is on here
    twice

    wrote:

    >Rich wrote:
    >>
    >> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:07:31 -0400, Peter Hansen <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >You should be able to see the replies that you missed via Google Groups,
    >> >as soon as they are indexed and on the web:

    >> How long does it usually take to post on Google?

    >In my experience, usually quite a few hours (maybe four or more?). Right
    >now I can see posts there which I read only a short time before seeing
    >yours, so that estimate feels about right.
    >
    >(By the way, it would be helpful if, when you quote material in a post
    >to which you're replying, if you used whitespace to separate your
    >own text from the quoted material. I almost didn't see your message
    >at all, thinking you'd accidentally posted an empty reply. Thanks. :)
    >
    >-Peter

    Rich, Aug 28, 2003
  9. Rich

    Gerrit Holl Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > I am going through one of the tutorials on the Python site and have
    > ran into a problem.
    >
    > During the tutorial it talked about TCI, and gave some commands to do.
    > I went to the site and downloaded TCI. but was unable to do any of
    > the tasks.
    >
    > I think my question is, when the tutorial say the Dos prompt, do I use
    > my Dos prompt in windows, or the Dos prompt in the Python program?

    The dos prompt in Windows (or Dos).

    Please note that there is also a tutor mailing list, designed to help
    new programmers. You may get a quicked answer there.

    Gerrit.

    --
    202. If any one strike the body of a man higher in rank than he, he
    shall receive sixty blows with an ox-whip in public.
    Gerrit Holl, Aug 28, 2003
  10. Rich

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Rich wrote:

    > I am going through one of the tutorials on the Python site and have
    > ran into a problem.
    >
    > During the tutorial it talked about TCI, and gave some commands to do.
    > I went to the site and downloaded TCI. but was unable to do any of
    > the tasks.
    >
    > I think my question is, when the tutorial say the Dos prompt, do I use
    > my Dos prompt in windows, or the Dos prompt in the Python program?

    DOS means DOS, which is only the Windows prompt. The Python prompt
    would always be called such, or "the interpreter prompt".

    I don't know anything about TCI, sorry.

    For more effective responses, start a new thread when you have a new
    question rather than replying to an existing message. That way others,
    who may already have "killed" this thread (i.e. will not see any more
    messages linked to the first one you posted) will see your question
    and have a chance to reply. (Also consider your subject line and
    try to create a descriptive one, rather than generic titles.)

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Aug 28, 2003
  11. Rich

    Gary Feldman Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:47:14 -0400, Peter Hansen <> wrote:

    >Rich wrote:
    >>
    >> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:07:31 -0400, Peter Hansen <>
    >> wrote:

    >> How long does it usually take to post on Google?

    >In my experience, usually quite a few hours (maybe four or more?).

    My experience has been longer, often overnight.

    Gary
    Gary Feldman, Aug 28, 2003
  12. Rich

    Alan Gauld Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:20:51 -0700, Rich <>
    wrote:

    > During the tutorial it talked about TCI, and gave some commands to do.
    > I went to the site and downloaded TCI. but was unable to do any of
    > the tasks.

    That tutor is now 5 years old so my recommendation is skip over
    the Tcl bits. I am in the process of rewriting it using
    Javascript and VBScript instead of Tcl and QBASIC.

    > I think my question is, when the tutorial say the Dos prompt, do I use
    > my Dos prompt in windows, or the Dos prompt in the Python program?

    The Windows DOS prompt, that is the one that looks like

    C:\WINDOWS>

    > I am using the Tutorial by Alan Gauld, and I am at the bottom of
    > simple sequences (left side of page).

    OK, If you have any specific things about the tutorial (eg
    something seems broken) send them to me via the mailto link at
    the bottom opf each web page. Any general quesries about Python
    send here or to the Python tutor mailing list where more eyes
    ensure a faster response.

    Finally, you can still read the Tcl and BASIC sections if you
    like, they are really there to make the point that the basic
    concepts of programming apply equally to anyt language, once you
    learn one (Python say) you can learn most others very quickly.

    Alan g
    Author of the Learn to Program website
    Alan Gauld, Aug 28, 2003
  13. Rich