    With regards,
    Samuël van Laere
    the Netherlands

    Samuël van Laere, Oct 25, 2003

  2. Samuël van Laere

    Andy Holmes Guest

    Samuël van Laere wrote:
    > Some like the navigation on the left-side others to the right.
    > I've used the stylesheet swicher code (as found on this group, thanks for
    > that) to allow visitors to switch style.
    > Does it make sence to offer both (left and right) to the visitor?
    > http://www.fortron.net/test.htm
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your comments.

    I was reading a thread not that long ago in which it was suggested and
    generally agreed that having the navigation on the right was bad for
    accessibility reasons, as some people that may be use to it on the left
    (since it is the norm, generally) would be confused by it. It's all
    pretty subjective of course, but I found it a pretty reasonable point.

    -Andy

    Andy Holmes, Oct 25, 2003

  3. "Andy Holmes" <> schreef in bericht
    > Samuël van Laere wrote:
    > > Some like the navigation on the left-side others to the right.
    > > I've used the stylesheet swicher code (as found on this group, thanks

    for
    > > that) to allow visitors to switch style.
    > > Does it make sence to offer both (left and right) to the visitor?
    > > http://www.fortron.net/test.htm
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for your comments.
    > >

    > I was reading a thread not that long ago in which it was suggested and
    > generally agreed that having the navigation on the right was bad for
    > accessibility reasons, as some people that may be use to it on the left
    > (since it is the norm, generally) would be confused by it. It's all
    > pretty subjective of course, but I found it a pretty reasonable point.
    >
    > -Andy

    My idea is to present a left navigation as a default.
    I offer right navigation for visitors who prefer that.
    Its no so much if i should offer left and right navigation,
    but more in what way to present it to the visitor.

    I don't see why a right navigation is considered unaccessible.
    The document structure is the same for both left and right navigation. (in
    my case anyway)
    Textbrowsers won't notice any differences, nor should any other type of
    browser?

    --
    With regards,
    Samuël van Laere

    Samuël van Laere, Oct 25, 2003
  4. Samuël van Laere

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Andy Holmes
    <> writing in

    > Samuël van Laere wrote:
    >> Some like the navigation on the left-side others to the right.
    >> I've used the stylesheet swicher code (as found on this group, thanks
    >> for that) to allow visitors to switch style.
    >> Does it make sence to offer both (left and right) to the visitor?
    >> http://www.fortron.net/test.htm
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your comments.
    >>

    > I was reading a thread not that long ago in which it was suggested and
    > generally agreed that having the navigation on the right was bad for
    > accessibility reasons, as some people that may be use to it on the left
    > (since it is the norm, generally) would be confused by it. It's all
    > pretty subjective of course, but I found it a pretty reasonable point.
    >
    > -Andy

    I have a few clients who are from Israel, and they like navigation on the
    right, I suppose it seems more natural for them since Hebrew is their first
    language. I noticed that their eyes tended to look to the right first,
    then scanned to the left where the menu was.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Oct 25, 2003
  5. Samuël van Laere

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Samuël van Laere" <> wrote in

    > I don't see why a right navigation is considered unaccessible.
    > The document structure is the same for both left and right navigation.
    > (in my case anyway)
    > Textbrowsers won't notice any differences, nor should any other type
    > of browser?

    I think the concern is that it may be problematic for people with certain
    mental disabilities or speech/language problems, simply due to its being in
    an "unexpected" place. For example, people with certain autistic-spectrum
    disorders may find it quite stressful to have their usual routine broken
    (and, let's face it, even users without disabilities are likely to
    experience momentary stress when they see something that should look
    familiar arranged in an unfamiliar way. It's something that needs to be
    adjusted to and while most of us can make that adjustment pretty quickly,
    it can be rather effortful for some people).

    Or someone with a physical disability that makes mouse/keyboard use
    difficult (but not impossible) might be running some sort of utility that
    allows them to "jump" the cursor to particular areas of the window. In
    that case, they'll probably have a "mouse macro" to put the cursor at the
    left edge and a little bit down from the top, since that's where the
    majority of navigation menus live and "homing" the cursor there reduces the
    amount of mouse motion needed to navigate. Putting the menu on the right
    means they have to manually scoot the cursor over to the right edge and
    define another "macro" that's just for this particular site's navigation.

    Accessibility isn't an all-or-nothing proposition. In both cases, the
    combination of the user's disability and the handicap [1] created by the
    non-standard layout doesn't make the page completely unusable, but it makes
    it substantially less usable (more mental or physical effort required).

    [1] Terminology:

    Impairment: "something wrong with" a user's brain or body.

    Disability: finding a task difficult or impossible as a result of an
    impairment.

    Handicap: a feature of the user's environment that makes an impairment more
    disabling.

    Example: Color-blindness is an impairment. It normally creates little if
    any disability. But if a page presents all its links with poorly-
    contrasting foreground and background colors, it presents a handicap to the
    color-blind user. In this case, a handicap that creates a disability out
    of thin air.

    Eric Bohlman, Oct 25, 2003
  6. Samuël van Laere

    Andy Holmes Guest

    Adrienne wrote:
    > I have a few clients who are from Israel, and they like navigation on the
    > right, I suppose it seems more natural for them since Hebrew is their first
    > language. I noticed that their eyes tended to look to the right first,
    > then scanned to the left where the menu was.

    That's a good point. It's really dependant on what the use is expecting
    and/or use to.

    -Andy

    Andy Holmes, Oct 25, 2003
  7. Adrienne pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Andy Holmes
    > <> writing in
    >
    > > Samuël van Laere wrote:
    > >> Some like the navigation on the left-side others to the right.
    > >> I've used the stylesheet swicher code (as found on this group, thanks
    > >> for that) to allow visitors to switch style.
    > >> Does it make sence to offer both (left and right) to the visitor?
    > >> http://www.fortron.net/test.htm
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance for your comments.
    > >>

    > > I was reading a thread not that long ago in which it was suggested and
    > > generally agreed that having the navigation on the right was bad for
    > > accessibility reasons, as some people that may be use to it on the left
    > > (since it is the norm, generally) would be confused by it. It's all
    > > pretty subjective of course, but I found it a pretty reasonable point.
    > >
    > > -Andy
    > >

    > I have a few clients who are from Israel, and they like navigation on the
    > right, I suppose it seems more natural for them since Hebrew is their first
    > language. I noticed that their eyes tended to look to the right first,
    > then scanned to the left where the menu was.

    On one of my sites, I moved the (clearly recognizable) menu to the right
    after suggestions it would reduce mouse movements considerably. The menu
    is just inboard of the scrollbar, so the movement from clicking button to
    scrollbar is minimal.

    Further, a few claimed that having the content aligned near the left edge
    of the window makes reading easier (for those of us who read left-to-
    right).

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.