Left margin off-screen in IE7 js-date2

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Paul E. Schoen, Jun 27, 2009.

  1. I noticed that a portion of the page
    http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-date2.htm has the text shifted to the left
    so that it is several characters off-screen. It does this in IE7 but not in
    Firefox. I looked at the HTML and could not find any clue, except that it
    might be caused by an external function. The problem starts with:

    <H2><a name="SD">A Simple Delay</a></H2>

    and then the proper left margin is restored at:

    <H3><a name="AC">A Converter</a></H3>

    but after clicking on the Delay control the left margin was offset for the
    rest of the document. When I went to the framed index and returned, the
    left margin was restored as of

    write('<\/i>Believe it if you like.\n',

    I saw the form generated by "ShoFFF(DoItSoon)" shift to the right when I
    clicked on it.

    A refresh of the page finally seemed to fix it. And then when I clicked on
    the URL for another reload, the problem recurred, and multiple refreshes
    did not fix it. I closed IE7 and restarted with similar results.

    I'm assuming it's some sort of anomaly in my system, but I'm just trying to
    understand how things work. I also have sometimes noticed that some web
    pages sometimes do not resize to fit the screen, and also I have a wide
    screen monitor that is being driven by an old video adapter that does not
    properly match the screen resolution, so I am using 1024x768 which is
    closest to the aspect ratio but still distorts images by stretching them
    horizontally. Setting to 1280x1024 and back did not change the left margin
    problem.

    But I also tried it on my laptop computer running Vista, linked via
    wireless router, and the same problem appeared.

    I'm just curious why something like this might happen. BTW, I am greatly
    impressed with this JavaScript resource, and I have learned a lot already.

    Paul
    Paul E. Schoen, Jun 27, 2009

  2. I also found that resizing the browser window seemed to fix the problem,
    and I also saw it in full screen mode. When it was in either mode, a reload
    caused the problem to reappear. But changing the window size or switching
    between full size and sizeable fixed it.

    Paul
    Paul E. Schoen, Jun 27, 2009

  3. In comp.lang.javascript message <9ef1m.1337$
    t>, Sat, 27 Jun 2009 02:12:21, Paul E. Schoen <>
    posted:
    >I noticed that a portion of the page
    >http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-date2.htm has the text shifted to the left
    >so that it is several characters off-screen. It does this in IE7 but not in
    >Firefox. I looked at the HTML and could not find any clue, except that it
    >might be caused by an external function. The problem starts with:

    I see no anomaly in IE7 or FF3. Or Opera, Safari, Chrome.

    I saw a slight bug, in that, using FF3, the form (blue) was
    insufficiently wide for "Pressed over 1.5 seconds ago", which line-
    wrapped neatly within the form, making the form taller and so moving
    later material down a bit. The form is now a little wider.

    > <H2><a name="SD">A Simple Delay</a></H2>
    >
    >and then the proper left margin is restored at:
    >
    > <H3><a name="AC">A Converter</a></H3>
    >
    >but after clicking on the Delay control the left margin was offset for the
    >rest of the document. When I went to the framed index and returned, the
    >left margin was restored as of
    >
    > write('<\/i>Believe it if you like.\n',
    >
    >I saw the form generated by "ShoFFF(DoItSoon)" shift to the right when I
    >clicked on it.

    ShoFFF generates text areas with double-line green borders; it does not
    generate forms. My forms are almost always a bluish colour, CSS
    background: #AAD4FF;.

    The button "Press" in the form in that section merely rewrites in the
    yellow span, K9.

    > I have learned a lot already.

    <G>.

    Dr J R Stockton, Jun 27, 2009