Length of Multidimensional Arrary

Asad Kazmi

hi,

I want to know that in multidimensional array lenght of array is calculated
like this procedure or any other

Test[x][y] row (x)+column(y) = z Is this correct ?

Regards
Asad Kazmi

VisionSet

Asad Kazmi said:
hi,

I want to know that in multidimensional array lenght of array is calculated
like this procedure or any other

Test[x][y] row (x)+column(y) = z Is this correct ?

In Java there is no such thing as a multidimensional array.

int[][] ints // is an array of arrays.

Length can only ever be attributed to one of those arrays.

So for int[][] x = new int[4][3];

There are 4 arrays of length 3 and one array of arrays of length 4

syntactically as:

int length1 = x.length; // ==4
int length2 = x.length[0]; // ==3
int length2 = x.length[1]; // ==3
int length2 = x.length[2]; // ==3

Note that the arrays do not need to be all the same length:

int[][] y = new int[4][];
y[0] = new int[1];
y[1] = new int[2];
y[2] = new int[3];

int length1 = y.length; // ==4
int length2 = y.length[0]; // ==1
int length2 = y.length[1]; // ==2
int length2 = y.length[2]; // ==3

HTH

Roedy Green

I want to know that in multidimensional array lenght of array is calculated
like this procedure or any other

Test[x][y] row (x)+column(y) = z Is this correct ?

I don't understand your notation or your question.

To understand how Java finds element [x][y] see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/matrix.html

I acted this out several times at Colorado Conferences racing
breathlessly around the room to demonstrate what a production it is.