    Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
    Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
    Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com
    Giles Bowkett, Dec 14, 2007

  2. Giles Bowkett

    Phrogz Guest

    Giles Bowkett wrote:
    > So I've been dragging my heels on the Leopard update thing. I have an
    > install disc I can use to do it for free (site license at a client) so
    > I can do it, I guess, but I'm still dragging my heels. If you have a
    > bunch of gems, is it in most cases as simple as merely copying the
    > files? This is what I hear from everyone I ask but I want to be
    > absolutely sure. The thing I hate about OS upgrades is it's not just
    > Apple's stuff that changes, it's also months of my own customizations.
    > I nearly swapped out the Finder entirely with Path Finder a week or so
    > ago. I can only guess what that would do on an OS upgrade.
    >
    > anyway, just to keep it relevant, I'm mainly concerned about my gems.

    Do you have your own home-built ruby install in /usr/local/bin, or
    have you been using Apple's?

    I had my own ruby and gems and whatnot all built in 10.4, and
    upgrading to 10.5 (using the "Against my better judgements, don't wipe
    stuff out and start fresh, but instead do your best to just patch the
    existing install" option) worked seamlessly with Ruby, gems included.
    Phrogz, Dec 14, 2007

  3. Giles Bowkett

    Tim Connor Guest

    Ah, so you were complaining about the install set-up without using it
    yet? :D I keed I keed.

    Mine works perfectly, out-of-the-box, but I did a clean wipe. It was
    much easier to install it all again via macports/gems than just a
    couple months ago under Tiger, anyways. This time around wine/Darwine
    was the only piece that didn't work just straight from the port,
    versus the nightmare that is usually getting ImageMagick/rmagick up
    and running. And I like having X11 slightly better integrated for
    running ie4osx.

    Either way, this was really useful:
    http://www.dcmanges.com/blog/install-multiple-versions-of-ruby-on-osx-leopard
    since I want to be able to run 1.8.5 for some legacy work stuff, and/
    or have some custom gem set-ups, whereas the pre-built is pretty
    nicely set-up for most usage.
    Tim Connor, Dec 14, 2007
  4. Giles Bowkett

    John Joyce Guest

    the stock install on Leopard seems pretty darn good.
    You might want to create other user accounts or create special
    directories with their own gem repositories for special projects or
    testing.
    Overall, I can't complain about it, used it at work, and makes
    distributing ruby progs on leopard machines quite painless!
    John Joyce, Dec 14, 2007
  5. Giles Bowkett

    Rob Kaufman Guest

    Everything went pretty smooth for me too... with the exception of
    ImageScience. Building FreeImage post upgrade sucks rocks right now.
    You have to go back and install the old SDKs from the Developer CD (as
    if I had the disk space ;-) and then modify the build to link against
    those. Hopefully that condition won't last long, but for now... not
    trivial.

    Rob Kaufman

    Rob Kaufman, Dec 14, 2007
  6. > Everything went pretty smooth for me too... with the exception of
    > ImageScience. Building FreeImage post upgrade sucks rocks right now.
    > You have to go back and install the old SDKs from the Developer CD (as
    > if I had the disk space ;-) and then modify the build to link against
    > those. Hopefully that condition won't last long, but for now... not
    > trivial.

    That does seem like a pain, but if this is the worst complaint, that's
    pretty good.

    --
    Giles Bowkett

    Giles Bowkett, Dec 14, 2007
  7. Giles Bowkett

    John Joyce Guest

    Main thing I recommend, make sure your Mac is recent or powerful
    enough to run Leopard well, and if you're planning to do any thing
    like RubyCocoa, you'll best off using Xcode 3 (though Xcode 2 is
    possible...) and the new Interface Builder is a very very different
    beast that seems a bit like a Macromedia app in terms of pallets and
    things...
    John Joyce, Dec 14, 2007