leopard update - any Ruby hassles?

Giles Bowkett

So I've been dragging my heels on the Leopard update thing. I have an
install disc I can use to do it for free (site license at a client) so
I can do it, I guess, but I'm still dragging my heels. If you have a
bunch of gems, is it in most cases as simple as merely copying the
files? This is what I hear from everyone I ask but I want to be
absolutely sure. The thing I hate about OS upgrades is it's not just
Apple's stuff that changes, it's also months of my own customizations.
I nearly swapped out the Finder entirely with Path Finder a week or so
ago. I can only guess what that would do on an OS upgrade.

anyway, just to keep it relevant, I'm mainly concerned about my gems.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

Phrogz

Giles said:
So I've been dragging my heels on the Leopard update thing. I have an
install disc I can use to do it for free (site license at a client) so
I can do it, I guess, but I'm still dragging my heels. If you have a
bunch of gems, is it in most cases as simple as merely copying the
files? This is what I hear from everyone I ask but I want to be
absolutely sure. The thing I hate about OS upgrades is it's not just
Apple's stuff that changes, it's also months of my own customizations.
I nearly swapped out the Finder entirely with Path Finder a week or so
ago. I can only guess what that would do on an OS upgrade.

anyway, just to keep it relevant, I'm mainly concerned about my gems.

Do you have your own home-built ruby install in /usr/local/bin, or
have you been using Apple's?

I had my own ruby and gems and whatnot all built in 10.4, and
upgrading to 10.5 (using the "Against my better judgements, don't wipe
stuff out and start fresh, but instead do your best to just patch the
existing install" option) worked seamlessly with Ruby, gems included.

Tim Connor

Ah, so you were complaining about the install set-up without using it
yet? :D I keed I keed.

Mine works perfectly, out-of-the-box, but I did a clean wipe. It was
much easier to install it all again via macports/gems than just a
couple months ago under Tiger, anyways. This time around wine/Darwine
was the only piece that didn't work just straight from the port,
versus the nightmare that is usually getting ImageMagick/rmagick up
and running. And I like having X11 slightly better integrated for
running ie4osx.

Either way, this was really useful:
http://www.dcmanges.com/blog/install-multiple-versions-of-ruby-on-osx-leopard
since I want to be able to run 1.8.5 for some legacy work stuff, and/
or have some custom gem set-ups, whereas the pre-built is pretty
nicely set-up for most usage.

John Joyce

the stock install on Leopard seems pretty darn good.
You might want to create other user accounts or create special
directories with their own gem repositories for special projects or
testing.
Overall, I can't complain about it, used it at work, and makes
distributing ruby progs on leopard machines quite painless!

Rob Kaufman

Everything went pretty smooth for me too... with the exception of
ImageScience. Building FreeImage post upgrade sucks rocks right now.
You have to go back and install the old SDKs from the Developer CD (as
if I had the disk space ;-) and then modify the build to link against
those. Hopefully that condition won't last long, but for now... not
trivial.

Rob Kaufman

Giles Bowkett

Everything went pretty smooth for me too... with the exception of
ImageScience. Building FreeImage post upgrade sucks rocks right now.
You have to go back and install the old SDKs from the Developer CD (as
if I had the disk space ;-) and then modify the build to link against
those. Hopefully that condition won't last long, but for now... not
trivial.

That does seem like a pain, but if this is the worst complaint, that's
pretty good.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com

John Joyce

Main thing I recommend, make sure your Mac is recent or powerful
enough to run Leopard well, and if you're planning to do any thing
like RubyCocoa, you'll best off using Xcode 3 (though Xcode 2 is
possible...) and the new Interface Builder is a very very different
beast that seems a bit like a Macromedia app in terms of pallets and
things...