    decimal separator, but for some reason ASP used "," instead)
    Say, 3000,00 is shown as 3B 000,00
    Why and how do I sort this out?

    aa, Jan 26, 2007

  2. Likely the server on which ASP is running has different Regional Settings
    than the computer where Access is running.

    Try explicitly formatting the numbers.

    --
    Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
    http://I.Am/DougSteele

    Douglas J. Steele, Jan 26, 2007

  3. aa

    Baz Guest

    What do you mean by "output data from Access"? How are you outputting it,
    and what software are you using to view the output data?

    Baz, Jan 26, 2007
  4. aa

    aa Guest

    Everything is on local w2k and Personal Web Server

    aa, Jan 26, 2007
  5. aa

    aa Guest

    ASP
    The query is stored in MDB file and when open in Access all the numbers look
    OK
    View in IE6
    But why "B"? What is "B"?

    aa, Jan 26, 2007
  6. aa

    Baz Guest

    I think you are more likely to get an answer from the ASP people than the
    Access people.

    "aa" <> wrote in message
    > applying ASP function FormatNumber() with digit groups separation disabled
    > sorted the problem out.
    > But I still curious where that "B" came from
    >
    > "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele@NOSPAM_canada.com> wrote in message
    > > Likely the server on which ASP is running has different Regional

    Settings
    > > than the computer where Access is running.
    > >
    > > Try explicitly formatting the numbers.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
    > > http://I.Am/DougSteele
    > > (no e-mails, please!)
    > >

    > > "aa" <> wrote in message
    > > > when I ourput data from Access, numbers bigger than 999 are shown

    with
    > > > letter "B" inserted into the 4th position left to the coma. (in my w2k
    > > > regional settings I have the decimal dot separator set to "." and

    digit
    > > > group separater set to nothing. In Access the number are shown with

    "."

    Baz, Jan 26, 2007
  7. aa

    aa Guest

    aa, Jan 26, 2007
  8. "aa" <> wrote in message
    > applying ASP function FormatNumber() with digit groups separation disabled
    > sorted the problem out.
    > But I still curious where that "B" came from

    We are going to need to see some code if we have any chance helping you.

    Anthony Jones, Jan 26, 2007
  9. aa

    aa Guest

    You think it has to do with the ASP code?
    It pretty standard and does not seem to use anything which can relevant to
    the problem, but might have to do with some settings on the computer, for it
    works OK on my XP-Home notebook, and the problems happen on w2k Pro SP4.
    Anyway, the code creates a recordset object and then goes through it
    building rows for an HTML table like this:

    ================================
    set objRS=objCom.Execute
    dim html_string, c
    do while not objRS.eof
    c= objRS(2)
    objRS.movenext
    loop
    Response.write html_string
    ================================

    This gets letter "B" inserted
    If I change
    c= objRS(2)
    c= FormatNumber(objRS(2),2,,,0)
    then it is OK

    aa, Jan 27, 2007
  10. aa

    Mike Brind Guest

    Mike Brind, Jan 27, 2007
  11. aa

    Baz Guest

    I don't think it's anything to do with the code, I think there's some kind
    of number display format setting somewhere, but I don't know enough about
    ASP to know what.

    The fact that using the Format function "corrects" it proves that what you
    are getting from the recordset is a number. Numbers don't contain "B"
    characters (at least, decimal ones don't!), hence what you have is a display
    problem, not a problem with the data.

    Baz, Jan 28, 2007
  12. aa

    aa Guest

    Numbers do not contain, say, spacers either, yet spacers might be incertad
    as digit group separator
    In my case it looks like "B" is inserted as such a separator. Or the System
    is incerting something else but encoding presents it as B

    aa, Jan 28, 2007
  13. aa

    Baz Guest

    Numbers do NOT contain spaces or group separators, such things are a
    function of display formatting, they are NOT part of numeric data. The
    FormatNumber function operates on numbers, any input value which contained a
    "B" would be a string, not a number, and would result in a type mismatch
    error. Hence, the "B" is not in the data, it is being added by some display
    formatting.

    Baz, Jan 28, 2007
  14. "aa" <> wrote in message
    > You think it has to do with the ASP code?
    > It pretty standard and does not seem to use anything which can relevant to
    > the problem, but might have to do with some settings on the computer, for

    it
    > works OK on my XP-Home notebook, and the problems happen on w2k Pro SP4.
    > Anyway, the code creates a recordset object and then goes through it
    > building rows for an HTML table like this:
    >
    > ================================
    > set objRS=objCom.Execute
    > dim html_string, c
    > do while not objRS.eof
    > c= objRS(2)
    > objRS.movenext
    > loop
    > Response.write html_string
    > ================================
    >
    > This gets letter "B" inserted
    > If I change
    > c= objRS(2)
    > c= FormatNumber(objRS(2),2,,,0)
    > then it is OK

    This is simply a case of messed up regional settings. Instead of having a .
    or a , for the thousands separator the (or actually a) regional setting for
    it has B as the thousands seperator.

    First check that this isn't the case in the control panel -> regional
    settings -> numbers tab. However this isn't the only place that IIS may get
    regional settings in fact it's unlikely. Regional settings are per user and
    are stored in the user profile.

    Typically the user accessing a web site does not have a profile on the
    server (unless they've logged on interactively). Most often the user is the
    anonymous user anyway.

    In this case ASP get it's regional settings from the .DEFAULT user profile.
    Hence you should use RegEdit and open the key:-

    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International

    In there is a value sThousand value. It seems likely to me that currently
    this contains a B.

    Things are made worse by the fact that ASP caches the regional settings and
    will use them for the life time of the process. Hence even if other
    requests may run under user accounts of user that do have a profile with
    different regional settings these settings will be ignored.

    Therefore you may find that .DEFAULT is ok but another user profile is wrong
    and it's this profile that just happens to be the first used.

    Anthony.

    Anthony Jones, Jan 28, 2007
  15. aa

    aa Guest

    Thanks, Anthony,

    1. My control panel settings I addressed in my originmal message - there is
    nothing criminal in them as you can see
    2. HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International
    I do not know which parameter there is responsible in this case, but by the
    name, there is one which might be relevant: sGrouping which is set to 3;0
    Is this the one?
    Regarding other profiles - this is my personal computer and nobody was
    setting profiles in here. Neither did I for I even do not know how to do
    this.
    However, apart from DEFAULT there are two other entries under HKEY_USERS,
    named S-1-5-21-1960408961-1417001333-725345543-500 and
    S-1-5-21-1960408961-1417001333-725345543-500_Classes
    They both have sGrouping set to 3;0

    What is the verdict?

    > "aa" <> wrote in message
    > > You think it has to do with the ASP code?
    > > It pretty standard and does not seem to use anything which can relevant

    > > the problem, but might have to do with some settings on the computer,

    for
    > it
    > > works OK on my XP-Home notebook, and the problems happen on w2k Pro SP4.
    > > Anyway, the code creates a recordset object and then goes through it
    > > building rows for an HTML table like this:
    > >
    > > ================================
    > > set objRS=objCom.Execute
    > > dim html_string, c
    > > do while not objRS.eof
    > > c= objRS(2)
    > > objRS.movenext
    > > loop
    > > Response.write html_string
    > > ================================
    > >
    > > This gets letter "B" inserted
    > > If I change
    > > c= objRS(2)
    > > c= FormatNumber(objRS(2),2,,,0)
    > > then it is OK

    > This is simply a case of messed up regional settings. Instead of having a

    ..

    aa, Jan 28, 2007
  16. "aa" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Anthony,
    >
    > 1. My control panel settings I addressed in my originmal message - there

    is
    > nothing criminal in them as you can see
    > 2. HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\International
    > I do not know which parameter there is responsible in this case, but by

    the
    > name, there is one which might be relevant: sGrouping which is set to 3;0
    > Is this the one?
    > Regarding other profiles - this is my personal computer and nobody was
    > setting profiles in here. Neither did I for I even do not know how to do
    > this.
    > However, apart from DEFAULT there are two other entries under HKEY_USERS,
    > named S-1-5-21-1960408961-1417001333-725345543-500 and
    > S-1-5-21-1960408961-1417001333-725345543-500_Classes
    > They both have sGrouping set to 3;0
    >
    > What is the verdict?

    That's fine. What setting do you have for sThousand?

    Anthony Jones, Jan 28, 2007
  17. aa

    aa Guest

    below is a very interesting comment I received from Mihai Nita in NG dealing
    with
    i18:
    This has little to do with number format.

    Russian uses non breaking space (U+00A0) as thousand separator (an I guess
    you are on Russian system because of the 866). This is the result of number
    formatting, and it is correct.

    Non-breaking space as UTF-8 is 'C2 A0' (bytes), which, when interpreted
    as 1252, gives cyrillic capital letter Ve (U+0412) (which looks like an
    uppercase B), followed by non-breakig space.

    So you are seeing a UTF-8 page as 1251.
    To confirm this is the case, force the browser to UTF-8:
    Firefox: View -> Character Encoding -> Unicode (UTF-8)
    IE6: View -> Encoding -> Unicode (UTF-8)

    Is the result looks ok, try adding the proper meta tag in the head section
    of
    your HTML:

    aa, Jan 29, 2007
  18. aa

    aa Guest

    I have nothing for sThousand - just a blank space.
    As you can see from my previous post, the problem was in wrong encodinmg of
    my HTML page.
    But they bit of the Registry you refered me to is interesting. Where can I
    read about meanings of all the parameters there?

    aa, Jan 29, 2007
  19. "aa" <> wrote in message
    > I have nothing for sThousand - just a blank space.
    > As you can see from my previous post, the problem was in wrong encodinmg

    of
    > my HTML page.

    I don't think that is true. I see nothing wrong with either examples of
    your code.

    > But they bit of the Registry you refered me to is interesting. Where can I
    > read about meanings of all the parameters there?

    sThousand simply specifies the character to use to separate groups of
    thousands in formatting number. I'm not sure what would happen in nothing
    is specified. These values are manipulated by the control panel regional
    settings.

    Try editing that registry value and placing a , or . in that value.

    Also worth a look is this KB:-

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306044

    Anthony Jones, Jan 29, 2007
  20. "aa" <> wrote in message
    > below is a very interesting comment I received from Mihai Nita in NG

    dealing
    > with
    > i18:
    > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > This has little to do with number format.
    >
    > Russian uses non breaking space (U+00A0) as thousand separator (an I guess
    > you are on Russian system because of the 866). This is the result of

    number
    > formatting, and it is correct.

    Ah I see that's why your sThousand setting appears blank.

    > Non-breaking space as UTF-8 is 'C2 A0' (bytes), which, when interpreted
    > as 1252, gives cyrillic capital letter Ve (U+0412) (which looks like an
    > uppercase B), followed by non-breakig space.
    >
    > So you are seeing a UTF-8 page as 1251.
    > To confirm this is the case, force the browser to UTF-8:
    > Firefox: View -> Character Encoding -> Unicode (UTF-8)
    > IE6: View -> Encoding -> Unicode (UTF-8)
    >
    > Is the result looks ok, try adding the proper meta tag in the head section
    > of
    > your HTML:

    In ASP I prefer Response.CharSet = "UTF-8"

    Anthony Jones, Jan 29, 2007