  1. I want to let users select options from a list in a form. A <select
    multiple="multiple"> would be fine, but the user needs to be able to
    select the order to put them in as well. Any suggestions?

    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Leif K-Brooks

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 03:54:35 GMT, Leif K-Brooks <>
    wrote:

    : I want to let users select options from a list in a form. A <select
    : multiple="multiple"> would be fine, but the user needs to be able to
    : select the order to put them in as well. Any suggestions?

    You won't get the order.

    Have the listed repeated three times, use radio buttons, and sub-headings
    "First Choice", "Second... "

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Sid Ismail wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 03:54:35 GMT, Leif K-Brooks <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > : I want to let users select options from a list in a form. A <select
    > : multiple="multiple"> would be fine, but the user needs to be able to
    > : select the order to put them in as well. Any suggestions?
    >

    > You won't get the order.
    >
    > Have the listed repeated three times, use radio buttons, and sub-headings
    > "First Choice", "Second... "

    The number of choices will be up to the user, though. There has to be
    some way...

    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 19, 2003
  4. Leif K-Brooks

    Chris Morris Guest

    Leif K-Brooks <> writes:
    > Sid Ismail wrote:
    > > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 03:54:35 GMT, Leif K-Brooks <>
    > > wrote:
    > > : I want to let users select options from a list in a form. A
    > > <select : multiple="multiple"> would be fine, but the user needs to
    > > be able to : select the order to put them in as well. Any
    > > suggestions?
    > > You won't get the order.
    > > Have the listed repeated three times, use radio buttons, and
    > > sub-headings
    > > "First Choice", "Second... "

    > The number of choices will be up to the user, though. There has to be
    > some way...

    They can't choose more than the number of options, so repeat the
    options n times, including 'no choice' in each one.

    For n small, use radio buttons as they're nicer.

    For n large, use <select> as it doesn't take up over a page per choice
    selection.

    You probably want to submit this to an intermediate piece of code that
    checks that their list is consistent - i.e. if the options are
    A,B,C,D,E they have something like

    ABCDE or DEA..

    and not

    ABAA. or A...D or .ABCD

    and lets them re-adjust it if they can.

    It's not an ideal solution, but I've had few complaints about that
    part of it when I had to solve a similar problem (it was an online
    voting system with preferences).

    --
    Chris

    Chris Morris, Nov 19, 2003
  5. Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:

    > The number of choices will be up to the user, though. There has to be
    > some way...

    Given the way HTML forms are defined - something _very_ trivial in essence,
    though with confusing variation in minor details - your optimism is
    admirable. :)

    But you can define a set of items where each choice appears as plain text,
    preceded (or followed) by a text input field, where the user can type in the
    ordinal number of the choice. It will be up to the form handler, of course,
    to check that the choices are consistent, and to process them in the desired
    way.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Nov 19, 2003
  6. Leif K-Brooks

    Sid Ismail Guest

    :
    : For n small, use radio buttons as they're nicer.
    :
    : For n large, use <select> as it doesn't take up over a page per choice
    : selection.

    The radio buttons ensure that only one is clicked. :))
    He will, in addition, need a script to check whether an item is clicked
    twice in the different selections...

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Nov 19, 2003