</entity>
<entity>
<contents>
<entity>
</entity>
</contents>
</entity>
</hierarchy>

I want to have attribute level for all <entity> node
like

<entity level=1>
<contents>
<entity level=2>
</entity>
</contents>
</entity>
<entity level=1>
<contents>
<entity level=2>
</entity>
</contents>
</entity>

Can someone help to get this using xslt.

thanks
gbk

Joris Gillis

HI Gurus,
I have xml file in this format

<hierarchy>
<entity>
<contents>
<entity>
</entity>
</contents>
</entity>
<entity>
<contents>
<entity>
</entity>
</contents>
</entity>
</hierarchy>

I want to have attribute level for all <entity> node

Can someone help to get this using xslt.
Coming right up:)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0">

<xsl:eek:utput indent="yes" method="xml"/>

<xsl:template match="hierarchy">
<xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="entity">
<xsl:copy>
<xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
<xsl:attribute name="level"><xsl:value-of select="count(ancestor::entity) +1 "/></xsl:attribute>
<xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="contents">
<xsl:copy>
<xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
<xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

P.S. remember that attributes have to be qouted at all times in XML.

regards,