Leverage browser caching

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeff, Feb 28, 2010.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    hi

    asp.net 3.5

    My site gets 84/100 from the Page Speed utililty in FireFox. Google uses
    site performance as a factor for ranking. PageSpeed suggest I should do
    something with browser caching.:

    Page Speed mentions the sites CSS file and google adsense for caching:

    for CSS Page Speed says:
    The following resources are missing a cache expiration. Resources that do
    not specify an expiration may not be cached by browsers. Specify an
    expiration at least one month in the future for resources that should be
    cached, and an expiration in the past for resources that should not be
    cached:

    for google adsense Page Speed says:
    The following cacheable resources have a short freshness lifetime. Specify
    an expiration at least one month in the future for the following resources:

    Not sure how I should specify the cache here. I know I can specify a meta
    tag:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="PRIVATE">
    but wonder more about the security as people can register and logon to my
    site (e.g create profiles), then user logs out and other people on the same
    computer can gain access to data which originally needs authentication to
    reach. - unanthenticated users gain unathorized access to information. My
    site is not a internet bank or something like that, but I like to keep the
    security good, having a dodgy security may lower the user experience

    what you suggest?

    Jeff, Feb 28, 2010

  2. Jeff wrote:
    > asp.net 3.5
    >
    > My site gets 84/100 from the Page Speed utililty in FireFox. Google
    > uses site performance as a factor for ranking. PageSpeed suggest I
    > should do something with browser caching.:
    >
    > Page Speed mentions the sites CSS file and google adsense for caching:

    You can set the expiration in IIS Manager. (You didn't mention which IIS
    version you're using, but with IIS6 it's under the HTTP Headers tab of the
    Proprties for the entity you want to adjust it for.)

    Is there really any security aspect to your CSS files? Or are they generated
    rather than static?

    Andrew

    Andrew Morton, Mar 1, 2010

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    The CSS is static.
    I use IIS6 with shared hosting, not sure I can tweak the IIS6 settings
    myself. I ask the host if he could enable compression on my site, but said
    they couldn't do it as it was on a shared solution

    Jeff, Mar 1, 2010