    Preferably one where adding LFS to an EXE is as painless as possible.

    I already have an old Borland compiler as well as gcc, but neither of
    those seem to offer LFS.
    Mr. Travis, Jul 11, 2005

  2. Mr. Travis

    Jack Klein Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:21:57 -0400, Mr. Travis
    <> wrote in comp.lang.c:

    > What's the best inexpensive C compiler for Windows with large file
    > support (LFS)?
    >
    > Preferably one where adding LFS to an EXE is as painless as possible.
    >
    > I already have an old Borland compiler as well as gcc, but neither of
    > those seem to offer LFS.

    There is no such thing as "LFS" defined by the C language. If you
    have questions about particular features that might or might not be
    present in C implementations for a particular platform (Windows), you
    need to ask in a group for that particular platform. It's off-topic
    here because it's not a language issue.

    Try news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    Jack Klein, Jul 11, 2005

  3. Mr. Travis

    Mr. Travis Guest

    ASSHOLE detected in comp.lang.c

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:21:57 -0400, Mr. Travis
    > <> wrote in comp.lang.c:
    >
    > > What's the best inexpensive C compiler for Windows with large file
    > > support (LFS)?
    > >
    > > Preferably one where adding LFS to an EXE is as painless as possible.
    > >
    > > I already have an old Borland compiler as well as gcc, but neither of
    > > those seem to offer LFS.

    > There is no such thing as "LFS" defined by the C language. If you
    > have questions about particular features that might or might not be
    > present in C implementations for a particular platform (Windows), you
    > need to ask in a group for that particular platform. It's off-topic
    > here because it's not a language issue.
    >
    > Try news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

    Large file support is a compiler (or at least a linker) issue, not an OS
    issue. The issue arises regardless of the target platform.

    In the time it took you to write that whiny complaint, you could have
    composed an answer. You're clearly more interested in being an
    OBSTRUCTIONIST ASSHOLE than engaging in constructive conversation.

    PLONK
    Mr. Travis, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Re: ASSHOLE detected in comp.lang.c

    In article <dav06v$p4r$>,
    Mr. Travis <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:21:57 -0400, Mr. Travis
    >> <> wrote in comp.lang.c:
    >>
    >> > What's the best inexpensive C compiler for Windows with large file
    >> > support (LFS)?
    >> >
    >> > Preferably one where adding LFS to an EXE is as painless as possible.
    >> >
    >> > I already have an old Borland compiler as well as gcc, but neither of
    >> > those seem to offer LFS.

    >> There is no such thing as "LFS" defined by the C language. If you
    >> have questions about particular features that might or might not be
    >> present in C implementations for a particular platform (Windows), you
    >> need to ask in a group for that particular platform. It's off-topic
    >> here because it's not a language issue.
    >>
    >> Try news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

    >Large file support is a compiler (or at least a linker) issue, not an OS
    >issue. The issue arises regardless of the target platform.
    >
    >In the time it took you to write that whiny complaint, you could have
    >composed an answer. You're clearly more interested in being an
    >OBSTRUCTIONIST ASSHOLE than engaging in constructive conversation.

    You obviously don't understand comp.lang.c
    Kenny McCormack, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Mr. Travis

    Randy Howard Guest

    Re: ASSHOLE detected in comp.lang.c

    "Mr." Travis wrote
    (in article <dav06v$p4r$>):

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:21:57 -0400, Mr. Travis
    >> <> wrote in comp.lang.c:
    >>
    >>> What's the best inexpensive C compiler for Windows with large file
    >>> support (LFS)?
    >>>
    >>> Preferably one where adding LFS to an EXE is as painless as possible.
    >>>
    >>> I already have an old Borland compiler as well as gcc, but neither of
    >>> those seem to offer LFS.

    >> There is no such thing as "LFS" defined by the C language. If you
    >> have questions about particular features that might or might not be
    >> present in C implementations for a particular platform (Windows), you
    >> need to ask in a group for that particular platform. It's off-topic
    >> here because it's not a language issue.
    >>
    >> Try news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

    > Large file support is a compiler (or at least a linker) issue, not an OS
    > issue. The issue arises regardless of the target platform.

    Only in the sense that no matter what the limit for file size
    is, it's theoretically possible to try to create a file larger
    than that supported. Even if you had 256-bit file offsets, you
    could still (in theory) create a file larger than that.

    But, in the real world, quite a few platforms support 64-bit
    offsets natively. It is much more a file system issue than a
    compiler issue. "LFS" never comes up on many of them. For
    example, 64-bit Linux does not require anything special, but
    32-bit Linux does. None of this has anything to do with c.l.c,
    which is why Jack said to try another group. In fact, support
    for "large files" is already in Windows, just not using standard
    APIs, which are also off topic here.

    > In the time it took you to write that whiny complaint, you could have
    > composed an answer.

    What makes you think Jack (or anyone else) automatically knows
    the right answer? more importantly, in a newsgroup where a
    reasonable percentage of the readers do not know (i.e. in a
    group where the subject is off-topic), and incorrect response is
    much less likely to be caught be the regulars. That is why it
    is important to ask the question in an appropriate group, so
    that you get the best results and do not receive incorrect or
    misleading information.

    > You're clearly more interested in being an
    > OBSTRUCTIONIST ASSHOLE than engaging in constructive conversation.
    >
    > PLONK

    Here's a free clue: Klein is now in one killfile, you will
    probably be in dozens by the end of the day.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    Randy Howard, Jul 12, 2005
  6. Mr. Travis

    Sensei Guest

    Mr. Travis wrote:
    > Large file support is a compiler (or at least a linker) issue, not an OS
    > issue. The issue arises regardless of the target platform.

    It's one of the most false assumptions. File size limit so large file
    support *depends* on the operating system and the file system in use,
    and it's really simple to understand.

    Since I feel good today (*), I will tell you where to seek.

    Here's your windows-only pointer: http://tinyurl.com/2ozuo

    If you're interested in learning something from who knows more than you,
    just googling for ``file system limit'' would suffice, and of course,
    wikipedia:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

    There you'll know how to deal with file system limitations, inherently
    platform-dependent. You would have known just looking on the wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_File_Support --- the limits depend on
    your OS, as pointed out by the link on lfs on wiki:

    ``To support writing portable code that makes use of LFS where possible,
    C standard library authors devised mechanisms that, depending on
    preprocessor constants, transparently redefined the functions to the
    64-bit large file aware ones.''

    Anyway, I don't think you'll EVER deal with FS limits on NTFS and other
    file systems.

    > In the time it took you to write that whiny complaint, you could have
    > composed an answer. You're clearly more interested in being an
    > OBSTRUCTIONIST ASSHOLE than engaging in constructive conversation.
    >
    > PLONK

    (*) Telling someone he's an asshole for pointing you to the right place
    to ask, denotes you're stupid. He knows you're on windows, since you
    posted about EXE, which are JUST ON MS PLATFORMS (and os/2 but probably
    you don't know), and of course, you're using MicroPlanet Gravity, which
    is on MS platforms.

    Be kind, if you're not a stupid person, you understand what I mean.
    Sensei, Jul 12, 2005
  7. Mr. Travis

    CBFalconer Guest

    "Mr. Travis" wrote:
    > says...

    .... snip ...

    >> There is no such thing as "LFS" defined by the C language. If
    >> you have questions about particular features that might or might
    >> not be present in C implementations for a particular platform
    >> (Windows), you need to ask in a group for that particular
    >> platform. It's off-topic here because it's not a language issue.
    >>
    >> Try news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

    > Large file support is a compiler (or at least a linker) issue, not
    > an OS issue. The issue arises regardless of the target platform.
    >
    > In the time it took you to write that whiny complaint, you could
    > have composed an answer. You're clearly more interested in being an
    > OBSTRUCTIONIST ASSHOLE than engaging in constructive conversation.
    >
    > PLONK

    You being a bovaristic, excerebrose, wlatsome, xylocephalous,
    yirning zoophyte who is unable to recognize assistance when
    offered, will not be seen here again. PLONK.

    CBFalconer, Jul 12, 2005
  8. Re: ASSHOLE detected in comp.lang.c

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:43:18 -0400, in comp.lang.c , Mr. Travis
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:21:57 -0400, Mr. Travis
    >> <> wrote in comp.lang.c:
    >>
    >> > What's the best inexpensive C compiler for Windows with large file
    >> > support (LFS)?

    >> There is no such thing as "LFS" defined by the C language. If you
    >> have questions about particular features that might or might not be
    >> present in C implementations for a particular platform (Windows),
    >>
    >> Try news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

    >Large file support is a compiler (or at least a linker) issue, not an OS
    >issue. The issue arises regardless of the target platform.

    Its also language-independent, and nothing to do with the C language.

    >In the time it took you to write that whiny complaint, you could have
    >composed an answer.

    He did. See the bits above.

    >You're clearly more interested in being an
    >OBSTRUCTIONIST ASSHOLE than engaging in constructive conversation.

    Jack did the right thing - ie redirect you to somewhere more
    appropriate. Its hardly his fault if you don't like the answer.

    >PLONK

    Your loss, not Jack's.
    Generally its considered a bad idea to plonk the regulars, typically
    you get less not more help.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Jul 12, 2005
  9. Re: ASSHOLE detected in comp.lang.c

    Mr. Travis wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:21:57 -0400, Mr. Travis
    > > <> wrote in comp.lang.c:
    > >
    > > > What's the best inexpensive C compiler for Windows with large file
    > > > support (LFS)?

    > > Try news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

    > Large file support is a compiler (or at least a linker) issue, not an OS
    > issue. The issue arises regardless of the target platform.
    >
    > In the time it took you to write that whiny complaint, you could have
    > composed an answer. You're clearly more interested in being an
    > OBSTRUCTIONIST ASSHOLE than engaging in constructive conversation.
    >
    > PLONK

    Sadly, an asshole has been detected in comp.lang.c. Yep, it's you.
    Responding in such a way to a polite redirection wins no points with
    anyone. You were asking for help, Mr. Klein gave useful information.
    Judging by your response, that was more than you deserved.

    -David
    David Resnick, Jul 12, 2005
  10. Re: ASSHOLE detected in comp.lang.c

    In article <>,
    David Resnick <> wrote:
    >Mr. Travis wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    >> > Try news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

    >> Large file support is a compiler (or at least a linker) issue, not an OS
    >> issue. The issue arises regardless of the target platform.
    >>
    >> In the time it took you to write that whiny complaint, you could have
    >> composed an answer. You're clearly more interested in being an
    >> OBSTRUCTIONIST ASSHOLE than engaging in constructive conversation.
    >>
    >> PLONK

    >Sadly, an asshole has been detected in comp.lang.c. Yep, it's you.
    >Responding in such a way to a polite redirection wins no points with
    >anyone. You were asking for help, Mr. Klein gave useful information.
    >Judging by your response, that was more than you deserved.

    He got exactly what he came for. And all is well with the world.

    (You don't, for even a second, think that the original post wasn't obvious
    trolling, do you?)
    Kenny McCormack, Jul 12, 2005
  11. Re: ASSHOLE detected in comp.lang.c

    > Kenny McCormack wrote:

    > He got exactly what he came for. And all is well with the world.
    >
    > (You don't, for even a second, think that the original post wasn't obvious
    > trolling, do you?)

    It is sometimes hard for me to distinguish on first post troll
    from clueless and belligerent. "Mr. Travis" has no history, so it
    is difficult to be sure what is up with him.

    -David
    David Resnick, Jul 12, 2005
  12. Re: ASSHOLE detected in comp.lang.c

    In article <>,
    David Resnick <> wrote:
    >> Kenny McCormack wrote:

    >> He got exactly what he came for. And all is well with the world.
    >>
    >> (You don't, for even a second, think that the original post wasn't obvious
    >> trolling, do you?)

    >It is sometimes hard for me to distinguish on first post troll
    >from clueless and belligerent. "Mr. Travis" has no history, so it
    >is difficult to be sure what is up with him.

    I think by this point, we should assume that the honchos at trollsRUs know
    what it takes (that is, how easy it is) to jerk people's chains in clc.

    Following the standard and good advice that most of us learned at our
    mother's knees, I think we'd do a lot better to just ignore the troll posts
    than to play along with them.

    (And, in case this isn't clear, to assume that this c**p is trolling not
    cluelessness, unless/until shown otherwise)
    Kenny McCormack, Jul 12, 2005