LGPL and Java, and Python?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Alexandre Fayolle, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    Reading Debian Weekly News, I learnt that there seem to be a problem
    when importing an LGPL'd java library (this forces the importer to be
    LGPL'd too), making the LGPL license equivalent to the GPL for Java
    programs.

    Here are a few references taken from DWN:

    http://slashdot.org/developers/03/07/17/2257224.shtml
    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.poi.devel/5900
    http://linuxintegrators.com/hl30/blog/general/?permalink=LGPL clarification.html
    http://www.rollerweblogger.org/page/roller/20030716#for_java_lgpl_is_viral
    http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/1519.html
    http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/2003/07/16.html#a56

    I'm by no way a license expert, but it seems to me that the import
    mechanism in python is closer to Java's than what is allowed to use a
    python LGPL'd library in a non GPL/LGPL program.

    Could anyone confirm or infirm this impression?

    --
    Alexandre Fayolle
    LOGILAB, Paris (France).
    Alexandre Fayolle, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Alexandre Fayolle <> writes:

    > Could anyone confirm or infirm this impression?

    To answer that question, one would need to know on what grounds the
    FSF lawyer has decided that section 6b) of the LGPL is inapplicable to
    Java.

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin v. =?iso-8859-15?q?L=F6wis?=, Jul 25, 2003

  3. Alexandre Fayolle

    Robert Kern Guest

    In article <>,
    Alexandre Fayolle <> writes:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Reading Debian Weekly News, I learnt that there seem to be a problem
    > when importing an LGPL'd java library (this forces the importer to be
    > LGPL'd too), making the LGPL license equivalent to the GPL for Java
    > programs.

    Apparently, this whole mess was a misunderstanding. The LGPL works as expected
    with Java.

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200307/msg00234.html

    --
    Robert Kern