LGPL Question

Steven Green

I have scanned the LGPL and am a little unsure if I have the correct
understanding of this license. I guess I need a copy of LGPL for dummies.

I want to use an LGPL library in my application (not modify the library
itself). Am I allowed to use the library freely without further restriction
on my own work?

Thanks,

Steve

Brad BARCLAY

Steven said:
I have scanned the LGPL and am a little unsure if I have the correct
understanding of this license. I guess I need a copy of LGPL for dummies.

I want to use an LGPL library in my application (not modify the library
itself). Am I allowed to use the library freely without further restriction
on my own work?

First off, IANAL.

However, yes you can use an LGPL'd library in your code, without it
affecting the license of your code. There are, however, some conditions:

1) You have to provide the source for the LGPL'ed library, including
_any changes_ you make to the library sources,

2) You need to provide linkable object files (where approperiate) for
your application so that users can re-link your project to make it work
with newer releases of the LGPL'ed library.

The good news is that #2 is automatic in Java -- you don't have to do
or provide anything special to enable this functionality, as Java does
only runtime class loading and linking.

HTH!

Brad BARCLAY

Tim Tyler

: Steven Green wrote:

:> I have scanned the LGPL and am a little unsure if I have the correct
:> understanding of this license. I guess I need a copy of LGPL for dummies.
:>
:> I want to use an LGPL library in my application (not modify the library
:> itself). Am I allowed to use the library freely without further restriction
:> on my own work?

: First off, IANAL.

: However, yes you can use an LGPL'd library in your code, without it
: affecting the license of your code. There are, however, some conditions:

: 1) You have to provide the source for the LGPL'ed library, including
: _any changes_ you make to the library sources,

: 2) You need to provide linkable object files (where approperiate) for
: your application so that users can re-link your project to make it work
: with newer releases of the LGPL'ed library.

Also:

``* You must give prominent notice with each copy of the work that the
Library is used in it and that the Library and its use are covered by
this License.

* You must supply a copy of this License.

* If the work during execution displays copyright notices, you must
include the copyright notice for the Library among them, as well as a
reference directing the user to the copy of this License.''

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html - section 6.

Bent C Dalager

2) You need to provide linkable object files (where approperiate) for
your application so that users can re-link your project to make it work
with newer releases of the LGPL'ed library.

The good news is that #2 is automatic in Java -- you don't have to do
or provide anything special to enable this functionality, as Java does
only runtime class loading and linking.

What happened to the whole "you have to use reflection to obtain LGPL
classes or we'll bash ya" controversy?

Cheers
Bent D

Brad BARCLAY

Bent said:
What happened to the whole "you have to use reflection to obtain LGPL
classes or we'll bash ya" controversy?

Well, as I mentioned, I'm not a lawyer, so I can't say for certain.
But my read on it, based on my knowledge of how the classloader system
works, says that this is rubbish.

If anyone who uses the LGPL'd classes of the jSyncManager contacts me
with any concern over this, I'll personally send them a letter informing
them that such runtime linking in Java does not, in my opinion, violate
the spirit of LGPL, and that I won't take any action against anyone for
simply using my LGPLed classes (so long as they conform to all the other
LGPL requirements).

Brad BARCLAY