library dependency tools?

BioInfoGuy

Sort of a general question, here. I've found myself in a bit of trouble
attempting the integration of two previously separate codebases. Just
to give a flavor of the problem, the code I was "given" solved the
problem of ClassNotFoundExceptions by the kitchen-sink approach: Throw
a whole laundry list of jar files into the /WEB-INF/lib directory and
don't bother to remove them when they are no longer needed in the
development process.

Naturally, upon the merger attempt there are version conflicts and no
efficient method I know of to determine which are necessary and which
are expendible short of { delete library from build, rebuild, redeploy,
restart server, try to debug output or analyze with profiler },
repeat... Part of the problem (methinks???) is that IntelliJ's support
for profiling is next to nil and therefore outside of my usual
repetoire of frequently used development processes.