library.zip and 7zip

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jaco Smuts, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Jaco Smuts

    Jaco Smuts Guest

    Hello there

    I am developing an application using wxPython and some other libraries
    (including, now pysqlite 0.5.1).

    I am distributing this app using py2exe and innosetup

    I'm trying to reduce the size of my distribution (the setup.exe file as
    well as the final install size)

    I am using upx to reduce the size of my executables (not a clue how it
    works, but it does reduce the size significantly)

    Now I am trying to use 7 zip to reduce the size of my library.zip file,
    but this seems to break the application.

    I am trying to do this: (from
    http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/moin.cgi/BetterCompression)

    7z.exe -aoa x library.zip -olibrary\
    del library.zip

    cd library\
    7z.exe a -tzip -mx9 ..\library.zip -r
    cd..
    rd library /s /q

    upx.exe --best *.*

    which works fine when I skip the 7z bit, but that breaks it?

    Any advice ?

    thanks
    jaco

    Jaco Smuts, Jul 5, 2004

  2. Jaco Smuts

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Jaco Smuts wrote:

    > Now I am trying to use 7 zip to reduce the size of my library.zip
    > file, but this seems to break the application.

    Describing a failure in such a vague manner as 'seems to break' is
    not likely to help us help you.

    Can you be more specific? Exception traceback? Error messages?
    Anything?

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Jul 5, 2004

  3. Jaco Smuts wrote:

    > ... I am trying to use 7 zip to reduce the size of my library.zip file,
    > but this seems to break the application....
    > Any advice ?

    7zip uses the most recent ZIP specification, while Python's zip only
    allows access to "ZIP_STORED" and "ZIP_DEFLATED" compression. I've a
    back-burner project to add at least BZIP2 compression to zipfile, but
    I've had problems getting good small test cases using other
    compressions. I tried 7zip when I was looking, but it was pretty
    broken on Win2K at the time. Sometime this fall, the patent on
    "IMPLODE" will expire,and that may be the right time to add that
    as well to zipfile.

    --
    -Scott David Daniels

    Scott David Daniels, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Jaco Smuts

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Scott David Daniels wrote:

    > Jaco Smuts wrote:
    >
    >> ... I am trying to use 7 zip to reduce the size of my library.zip
    >> file, but this seems to break the application....
    >> Any advice ?

    > 7zip uses the most recent ZIP specification, while Python's zip only
    > allows access to "ZIP_STORED" and "ZIP_DEFLATED" compression. I've a
    > back-burner project to add at least BZIP2 compression to zipfile, but
    > I've had problems getting good small test cases using other
    > compressions. I tried 7zip when I was looking, but it was pretty
    > broken on Win2K at the time. Sometime this fall, the patent on
    > "IMPLODE" will expire,and that may be the right time to add that
    > as well to zipfile.

    Shouldn't somebody remove that recipe from the wiki then? Or
    can it in fact work (sometimes?), and the explanation is something
    else?

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Jul 6, 2004