library.zip and 7zip

Jaco Smuts

Hello there

I am developing an application using wxPython and some other libraries
(including, now pysqlite 0.5.1).

I am distributing this app using py2exe and innosetup

I'm trying to reduce the size of my distribution (the setup.exe file as
well as the final install size)

I am using upx to reduce the size of my executables (not a clue how it
works, but it does reduce the size significantly)

Now I am trying to use 7 zip to reduce the size of my library.zip file,
but this seems to break the application.

I am trying to do this: (from
http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/moin.cgi/BetterCompression)

7z.exe -aoa x library.zip -olibrary\
del library.zip

cd library\
7z.exe a -tzip -mx9 ..\library.zip -r
cd..
rd library /s /q

upx.exe --best *.*

which works fine when I skip the 7z bit, but that breaks it?

Any advice ?

thanks
jaco

Peter Hansen

Jaco said:
Now I am trying to use 7 zip to reduce the size of my library.zip
file, but this seems to break the application.

Describing a failure in such a vague manner as 'seems to break' is
not likely to help us help you.

Can you be more specific? Exception traceback? Error messages?
Anything?

-Peter

Scott David Daniels

Jaco said:
... I am trying to use 7 zip to reduce the size of my library.zip file,
but this seems to break the application....
Any advice ?
7zip uses the most recent ZIP specification, while Python's zip only
allows access to "ZIP_STORED" and "ZIP_DEFLATED" compression. I've a
back-burner project to add at least BZIP2 compression to zipfile, but
I've had problems getting good small test cases using other
compressions. I tried 7zip when I was looking, but it was pretty
broken on Win2K at the time. Sometime this fall, the patent on
"IMPLODE" will expire,and that may be the right time to add that
as well to zipfile.

Peter Hansen

Scott said:
7zip uses the most recent ZIP specification, while Python's zip only
allows access to "ZIP_STORED" and "ZIP_DEFLATED" compression. I've a
back-burner project to add at least BZIP2 compression to zipfile, but
I've had problems getting good small test cases using other
compressions. I tried 7zip when I was looking, but it was pretty
broken on Win2K at the time. Sometime this fall, the patent on
"IMPLODE" will expire,and that may be the right time to add that
as well to zipfile.

Shouldn't somebody remove that recipe from the wiki then? Or
can it in fact work (sometimes?), and the explanation is something
else?

-Peter